The "what the farg is wrong with this world" thread

Started by PhillyGirl, March 07, 2010, 12:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

I'd gladly take the herpes if she'd just go away.

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

PhillyPhreak54

Sgt PSN

Tomahawk

How long do you pay child support; is it until the kid's 18th birthday or until they graduate high school, whichever comes later?

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Tomahawk on December 07, 2017, 06:15:55 PM
How long do you pay child support; is it until the kid's 18th birthday or until they graduate high school, whichever comes later?

Typically, yes. Support can also be extended beyond that if the kid goes to college but lives at home in some states.  Hopefully your kid is either too dumb for college or goes out of state if Illinois is one of those states.

ice grillin you

no states require you to do anything for college do they?

I thought any requirements  past 18th birthday would have to be agreed to by the parents
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on December 07, 2017, 07:50:50 PM
no states require you to do anything for college do they?

I thought any requirements  past 18th birthday would have to be agreed to by the parents

I dunno. I remember quite a few years back hearing other Marines talking about how they had to keep paying support with kids in college. Could have been something agreed to. Or maybe it was law back then (This is late 90s) but has been changed since.

Each state handles this shtein differently though. I just know that in Washington (where we were divorced and had support determined) I don't have to pay shtein after HS graduation so that's really all I care about.

Geowhizzer

From findlaw.com (no idea how trustworthy this site is):

QuoteQ: Are parents who are divorced, or living separately, legally obligated to pay for their child's college education and related expenses?

A: As a general matter, most educational expense issues are addressed during the divorce process itself, along with other child support issues. However, when there is no agreement in place, the obligation of divorced parents to pay for their child's college expenses will depend on the state. Some states require divorced parents to pay for college related expenses (based on the reasoning that a child's education should not suffer because of a divorce), while other states view these as conditional expenses and do not require college expense payments and/or reimbursement.

EDIT:  The site is owned by the same company as Reuters, so I'd guess it's pretty trustworthy.

Tomahawk

The current order for child support definitely ends at what Illinois likes to call the Age of Emancipation (Go Lincoln!) From word of mouth, even if it's in the divorce decree, it can be difficult for the kid in ILL to get an order for college support.

Though the statute reads as though I'd be responsible, it's hard to tell since it specifies the dissolution of marriage without making reference to children born out of wedlock.

The attorney I retained to ensure I didn't have to pay 13 years of arrearage said the onus is on the plaintiff to show cause so who knows.

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: Geowhizzer on December 07, 2017, 08:30:37 PM
From findlaw.com (no idea how trustworthy this site is):

QuoteQ: Are parents who are divorced, or living separately, legally obligated to pay for their child's college education and related expenses?

A: As a general matter, most educational expense issues are addressed during the divorce process itself, along with other child support issues. However, when there is no agreement in place, the obligation of divorced parents to pay for their child's college expenses will depend on the state. Some states require divorced parents to pay for college related expenses (based on the reasoning that a child's education should not suffer because of a divorce), while other states view these as conditional expenses and do not require college expense payments and/or reimbursement.

EDIT:  The site is owned by the same company as Reuters, so I'd guess it's pretty trustworthy.

Findlaw is the directory run by Westlaw which is the largest legal research database in the country.

As someone already stated, it is a state-by-state issue.

smeags

my brother in law didn't have to pay towards his daughter's college through courts. he still did, but it was on his own.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Sgt PSN

To be clear, I wasn't talking about paying part of a kid's college tuition, I was taking straight up child support that gets paid straight to the mother if the kid is in college.

I distinctly remember a senior Marine passing on some sage advice to me when I was still pretty young.  It was only a month or 2 before I got married and he was giving me the "don't do it" talk. Obviously I didn't listen. But I did absorb some of what he told me.  I remember him telling me that his kid had just started college and that he should have been going to a quality university but that his mom talked the kid into staying home and going to CC. He said that because the kid was in school but living at home that he still had to pay support to his ex. Once he was done bitching about it, his exact words to me were "When you get divorced...and you will get divorced...pay close attention to the child support proposal and make sure you aren't on the hook after your kid turns 18."

Like I said, this was 20 years ago. I don't know what state they were divorced in or the circumstances that led to this guy having to pay support while his kid was in college, but that's what he had to deal with. Looking back on it now, I guess it's possible that his ex wife was able to sneak that provision in there and he nor his lawyer caught it. I dunno. I just know he was salty af about it because he wanted to retire at 20 years but ended up reenlisting for a few more years so that he could cover support and still keep his kid covered with medical/dental benefits.

SD

Some states you have to pay through college or until the kid turns 21 (I think), if the kid gets married support payments automatically stop.

Child support laws are outrageous. Baby's momma sees my daughter for 2 hours a week and I still have to pay that bitch $700 a month. Can't see a judge until February/March. Trashy pieces of shtein like baby's momma will suck you dry for everything they can get. I know a lot of decent mothers who acknowledge the father pays too much and make an out of court arrangement or don't ask for a dime because they have their shtein together.

I've written my congressman relentlessly over the issue of support and custody and they always come back with the same response. They contact domestic relations on my behalf and are told to eat shtein. The laws the law, they'd rather impose stiffer penalties on fathers who can't afford child support than go after the real problem which is women who take advantage of the system. I know a ton of great fathers who have shared legal custody but pay an outrageous amount of child support because the mother can afford to not work and live off welfare and take care of the kid while they have to bust their ass and be forced to fork over 20% of their paycheck.

/rant over

Sgt PSN

I'm so glad I got divorced in one of the more reasonable states (Washington) in the country when it comes to this stuff.  Our incomes were relatively equal at the time (I made a little more than her) so my support was $306 per kid. Was a little rough at the time because I was only making like $2800/mo at the time, but it wasn't too bad.  And over the years she never tried raising my support whenever I got promoted or anything. She's a pita to deal with and I legit can't stand being in the same room as her, but at least she's not off the rails cray cray. 

PS...5 more child support payments left.