TV/Internet/Phone options

Started by Zanshin, February 12, 2008, 03:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smeags

the 4K TV's at this point, are great for gaming if you have the updated xbox one or ps4 systems.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Munson

This was just talked about in another thread somewhere I think but are there any TV brands to absolutely avoid because they'll break in like a year? I've had my LG for about a year and have been pretty happy with it, but we bought the house and my old 32 inch isn't cutting it as a family room TV. Looking/hoping to get up to 60 inches with the next one but might settle in the 55-59 range if the price jumps too high at 60
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SD

Quote from: Munson on November 18, 2017, 02:51:15 PM
This was just talked about in another thread somewhere I think but are there any TV brands to absolutely avoid because they'll break in like a year? I've had my LG for about a year and have been pretty happy with it, but we bought the house and my old 32 inch isn't cutting it as a family room TV. Looking/hoping to get up to 60 inches with the next one but might settle in the 55-59 range if the price jumps too high at 60

What's your price range? Best advice I can give you is see if the floor models available. Stores constantly get new shipments and are constantly swapping their TVs out. 2007 I bought a $3000 Sony Bravia XLT floor model for $1500. To this day it still works like a champ and the picture quality is still better than any other TV I've seen.

When I moved into my new house, I had my heart set on a '65 for my living room. The Samsung I wanted at HHGregg was out of stock. Sticker price was $1300. I ask the guy about the floor model, he says it's the last one from the previous shipment, asks his manager if he's allowed to sell it. Manager says the new shipments coming in tomorrow, sold it to me for $800.

To me all the HD tvs look the same. A 60' flat screen will run you around $600-800. Think they're selling the 4Ks now for $800-1000 if that's your thing. You could go the cheap route and get a Vizio from Walmart or somewhere and probably only spend $500-600. Personally I'd spend the extra $150 and get a name brand like Samsung or Sony if you're planning on keeping the TV longer than 5 years.

Geowhizzer

I've had a Vizio 55" for five years.  Still works fine.  And yes, I am a cheap bastich.

Munson

Quote from: AO1 on November 18, 2017, 03:53:51 PM
Quote from: Munson on November 18, 2017, 02:51:15 PM

What's your price range? Best advice I can give you is see if the floor models available. Stores constantly get new shipments and are constantly swapping their TVs out. 2007 I bought a $3000 Sony Bravia XLT floor model for $1500. To this day it still works like a champ and the picture quality is still better than any other TV I've seen.

When I moved into my new house, I had my heart set on a '65 for my living room. The Samsung I wanted at HHGregg was out of stock. Sticker price was $1300. I ask the guy about the floor model, he says it's the last one from the previous shipment, asks his manager if he's allowed to sell it. Manager says the new shipments coming in tomorrow, sold it to me for $800.

To me all the HD tvs look the same. A 60' flat screen will run you around $600-800. Think they're selling the 4Ks now for $800-1000 if that's your thing. You could go the cheap route and get a Vizio from Walmart or somewhere and probably only spend $500-600. Personally I'd spend the extra $150 and get a name brand like Samsung or Sony if you're planning on keeping the TV longer than 5 years.

I'd love to get a Sony, got a buddy does regional sales for their TVs and entertainment equipment, but I can't swing that much unfortunately. Good idea on the floor model thing, def gonna give that a try.

$800 is probbbbably my max but I'm trying to come in under that if I can. Some of the Black Friday ads indicate that might be possible but some of the brands coming in under that price are what prompted me to ask this question. My old 32 inch is a Dynex and has lasted for about 7-8 years now in okay shape, so I don't have too many bad experiences with off brand stuff, but figured I'd ask around here.
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SD

Black Friday deal, only $399 for a 50' Samsung 4K. I'd be all over this deal if I had any need for a new TV

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-50-class-49-5-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv/6029002.p?skuId=6029002

MDS

i paid $300 + delivery for a 49 inch toshiba. it has no frills with it, though. i think that stuff is mostly nonsense. you get everything you need by simply buying an apple tv, roku, firestick, etc. whatever tv you get, make sure you get it as stripped down as possible.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

If you're looking for a high performance high quality tv, get a Samsung.  I've had mine for 5 years now. 50" plasma/3d/smart tv that I got for $700. No complaints.

If you just want a solid tv with a really nice picture but on the cheap, check out Scepture.  I think they're only sold on Wal Marts website but they are a Sony brand.  My mom has 3 of them. Just this year she bought a 50" or 55" for like $279.  Her first one is like 3 or 4 years old and still has a really good picture.  Excellent budget tv.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Munson

That 50 inch looks nice, I just was hoping to go a bit bigger for the family room. But $399 for that is a pretty good deal.

Thanks for the names Sarge, I try to avoid WalMart because their owners are scum but sometimes the prices are worth it.

As for going stripped down...I honestly don't know if they sell 4Ks that aren't smart TVs and/or include something like Roku anymore. At least I haven't seen any in stores.

QB Eagles

SD

No lie I won a 32' inch LG smart tv tonight at a cancer benefit. Bunch of other shtein too like a toilet lite and a pancake maker. No idea what to do with this shtein. I tried donating it but they said you can't donate the prize baskets.