I'm in the market to buy a television & need assistance.

Started by Mad-Lad, November 29, 2005, 02:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad-Lad

So the television I bought about 4 years ago decided to crap out on me.  It wasn't anything spectacular (32" standard television), but I'm currently stuck with a television I've had since the early nineties until I buy a new one.  Here's my problem, I don't know a damn thing about the difference between plasma, flat-panel, LCD, or any of the crap they sell.  I do know that I'm not buying another regular tube television, but don't have the dough to shell out on a grand or two on an HDTV.

Anyways, can someone fill me in on what might be a good set to buy?  I'm still looking at  the same 32" size and it's primary use will be watching DVDs and playing video games (PS2).  Any help is appreciated.

SD_Eagle5

If you're looking for something decent that's not too pricey I highly recommend a Sony Wega.  :yay A 32 inch HDTV will probably run you anywhere from $500-$900. The picture is awesome and sound is even better. I bought a 27 inch 2 years ago for $400 and it's been worth every penny.

Mad-Lad

Quote from: SD_Eagle on November 29, 2005, 02:35:48 PM
If you're looking for something decent that's not too pricey I highly recommend a Sony Wega.  :yay A 32 inch HDTV will probably run you anywhere from $500-$900. The picture is awesome and sound is even better. I bought a 27 inch 2 years ago for $400 and it's been worth every penny.

thanks for the tip SD.  I appreciate it.

SD_Eagle5

Here's one at BestBuy for a little over $800, but I was there yesterday and I could swear they had them marked down (like the $500-$700 range). One of my roommates bought an LCD 20 inch TV for his room and a 60 inch plasma for our living room and neither picture could touch the clarity of mine.  8)

Tomahawk

MURP

I can vouch for the Sony Wega's.    Great quality for a good price.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Sony TV's are very good, but are also a bit overpriced.  I've had great success with Toshiba TV's.

The FST Pure Flat Tube series (bottom of page) would be great for you also.  The 30HFX84 model is a 30" 16:9 HDTV that retails for $999.99.  If you don't want to go HDTV, they also have the standard 4:3 ratio 35AFX54 and 32AFX54 that retail for $849.99 and $599.99, respectively.

If I had to buy a ~32" TV, that's what I'd get.  If nothing else, a good basis of comparison for the Sony WEGA.

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PoopyfaceMcGee

It looks like Toshiba has pretty much "caught up" to Sony in price.  I would also look at Samsung.

I got my bedroom TV (a Philips flat-screen tube, similar to the FST Pure stuff) while the employee store was still easily accessible.  It's not anymore, though.  Philips TV's are OK, but probably a step down from the others mentioned.

Mad-Lad

Quote from: SD_Eagle on November 29, 2005, 02:43:49 PM
Here's one at BestBuy for a little over $800, but I was there yesterday and I could swear they had them marked down (like the $500-$700 range). One of my roommates bought an LCD 20 inch TV for his room and a 60 inch plasma for our living room and neither picture could touch the clarity of mine.  8)

Here's the Wega Editor's review on cnet.com (6.4 out of 10)
The good: Excellent black-level performance; vertical compression for anamorphic DVDs and HDTV; HDMI input.

The bad: Bulky tube design; no independent input memories, no picture-in-picture; color decoder accentuates reds.

The bottom line: While it doesn't deliver all the detail of its larger brethren, this 32-inch set makes a great stepping-stone to high-def.

Seabiscuit36

You may want to get the HD sets considering the changeover to digital is coming in the next 4 years. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Mad-Lad

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on November 29, 2005, 03:36:49 PM
You may want to get the HD sets considering the changeover to digital is coming in the next 4 years. 

i heard that.  i read that in order to get the digital signal in an old television, you have to buy some sort of converter box which run around $100.  farg that!

Mad-Lad

thanks for all the info.  i'm doing a shteinload of homework before dropping the cash, but i'm headed in the right direction at least.  The last set i bought was an RCA and i'll never buy another of those pieces of shtein.

MURP

there is a huge message board out there with tons of audio video people on there talking about everything television, HD, projectors, surround sound etc.   I used to have the link but cant find it now.... arg.  Ill try and find it again.

Cerevant

Quote from: MURP on November 29, 2005, 04:21:04 PM
there is a huge message board out there with tons of audio video people on there talking about everything television, HD, projectors, surround sound etc.   I used to have the link but cant find it now.... arg.  Ill try and find it again.
AVS Forum
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.