World (Vegas) Travel Thread

Started by hbionic, July 25, 2005, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: rjs246 on August 25, 2005, 07:34:46 PM
That's true, quoting a popular movie in a psuedo witty fashion is your territory. A thousand apologies.

Yeah....I'm the big dog when it comes to psuedo witty fashion.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

General_Failure

You probably wear EMO glasses too.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Susquehanna Birder

This summer we did a cruise to the Western Carribean. We visited Belize, Grand Cayman, Cozumel (Mexico), and an island off the coast of Honduras called Roatan. I'm convinced that I want to spend at least a week in Roatan now. Preferably two. Fantastic place, great people, and not overbuilt for tourists.

We have several friends in Northern Ireland (Belfast, Derry, Portadown, and Armagh). As much as the whole Ring of Kerry thing sounds like a cool thing to do, I'd love to visit the north. It's nothing like it used to be.

rjs246

The ladyfriend and I went to Chicago this past weekend. For some reason I thought I would hate the city/people/whatever. I couldn't have been more wrong. It was awesome. We had a blast. Of course all we did was get drunk in various places but that's all I ever do when I travel so eat it.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: rjs246 on August 25, 2005, 08:13:33 PM
The ladyfriend and I went to Chicago this past weekend. For some reason I thought I would hate the city/people/whatever. I couldn't have been more wrong. It was awesome. We had a blast. Of course all we did was get drunk in various places but that's all I ever do when I travel so eat it.

My wife and I went to Chicago a few summers ago.  Beautiful city.

Wrigley Field was a true baseball cathedral.

Phanatic

Quote from: PhillyPhaninDC on July 28, 2005, 01:41:04 PM
Quote from: DemonchildrenOnTurf on July 26, 2005, 11:28:09 AM
I have to disagree with whoever said okinawa was a dirthole.  I was there for four years, and it's a great place.  Once you get away from the bases (Kinville and BC Street are fun, but there's much more to do than hang oiut there), it's beautiful.  I've always described it as just like hawaii, but smaller, less crowded, and friendlier.  Scuba diving and snorkeling are fantastic there, and we also took a Cesna up to some of the smaller islands up north to visit.  It's amazing when you are in the water -- I think you can see for about a mile. 

I've also been to the Phillipines four times (each visit was longer than the last, and I "met" more women each time I went).  The liquor is dirt cheap, and so are your "dates".  $1.50 for an hour, or $7 for the whole night when I was there!!  Also, that place has beautifuy countryside, great camping and diving, and more little islands than you can count.

I was in S. Korea once, but where I was sucked ass.  Kwang-ju.  In the middle of no-where, and the people hated you.  It was my first experience of walking in a downtown area that had tanks and armed guards glaring at you with their M-16s just daring you to make a wrong move.  It was a little un-nerving.

Hawaii is my favorite place in the world.  Not Oahu (the concrete jungle that Waikiki is these days), but Maui, the Big Island, and Kauii rule.  Kuaii has a Grand Canyon that is unbelieveable to see.  How can such a little island have such a huge canyon??  When I hit Powerball, that's where you'll find me.

Quote from: Phanatic on July 26, 2005, 06:38:50 PM
I also have to disagree about Okinawa being a dirt hole, but then we got to stay on Kadena airforce base. Nothing better then Orion beer at the Cannon club after hours. Spent my 21st birthday there.

Worst place I have ever been was Kunsan (spelling) South Korea. Water would go out all the time, and they ranked the bars by STD. I think it was ranked the worst airforce base at one time.

I shouldn't of said all of Okinawa was a dirthole.....but a large part is. The beaches are beautiful, scuba is good. I should have stated I was comparing it to the time I spent on the mainland. I was in Iwakuni, about 45 minutes south of Hiroshima. That was some of the most beautiful country I've seen. Korea was a serious dissapointment. I got there in the Port of Pusan (no joke), and went all the way up Yechon Air Force base (about 30 miles from the 38th paralel  :paranoid ) That country sucked. Nothing to do, and nothing to see. Anywhere else in asia I would give it  :yay  :yay And the girls in the Phillipines are the shtein, but THailand and Singapore beat em out in my book. And if you go, don't mess with the "working" types. You can find plenty of normal, everyday women that luv dem sum American.  ;)

I have been through Iwakuni. I liked my stay there. We visited a beutiful mountain, and had a somber outing to Hiroshima. I forget the name of the mountain but there were monkeys at the top there.
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

Diomedes

Quote from: rjs246 on August 25, 2005, 08:13:33 PM

I had a similar experience in Chicago this summer.  Great town.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

The only time I've ever been to Chicago was when I was driving through it on my way from Seattle to Philly.  It was in June 1998 and the Bull/Jazz had just finished their game in the NBA Finals (It was the game where Chicago held them to 56 points or something).  Anywho, traffic sucked and it took forever to get through town.  So I stopped at one of those McDonald's that sits overtop the freeway and waited for traffic to pick up a little.  Good times. 

hbionic

Looking to go to Puerto Rico at the end of the month....a friend of a friend has a business on one of the islands...so its pretty much only gonna cost me the roundtrip flight ($400)...which for some reason is cheaper than flying directly from LAX to Cincinnati....go figure....we plan on staying in San Juan the last two days of the trip...I have a feeling I will be watching the Eagles game from there.

Anyone been to Puerto Rico before? Any recommendations?
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Susquehanna Birder

Diomedes

My half puerto rican wife makes arroz con pollo to die for, learned it from her puerto rican grandmother.  Easily my favorite comfort food dish.

phattymatty

i'm going to be at this on sat. night...

then wake up and watch the eagles at 9AM the next day.  should be a good 24 hours.