Chip Kelly - Head Coach, Philadelphia Eagles

Started by Sgt PSN, January 16, 2013, 04:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QB Eagles

Don Ho

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

PhillyPhreak54

Yeti

"It's only a matter of time before we get to the future."

Hbionic

ice grillin you

excellent read...

QuoteUnveiling the 53: Chip Kelly's 2013 debut in Washington

The Eagles are once again set to open their season in a far-flung, nominal "suburb" of Washington, D.C., so let's look back at the last time they had such a distinct pleasure. On September 9, 2013, the football world's newest curiosity debuted in primetime. Since his hire as Eagles head coach eight months prior, Chip Kelly evoked strong opinions from anyone aware of his existence. To some, he was somehow a messiah figure, or some kind of football Dr. Frankenstein, bringing enlightenment to the NFL. To others, he was a hack collegeboy whose pee-wee offense would fail spectacularly. Nuance is hard to come by.

On opening night in 2013, though, Kelly's monster offense was a revelation. Though Washington eventually mounted a second-half comeback that forced the Eagles to recover an onside kick with over a minute remaining to salvage a 33-27 victory, the story that night was all about the first half, when Kelly's offense bombarded Washington, running an astounding 53 plays en route to taking a 22-7 lead. The Eagles never ran that many plays in a half again during Kelly's tenure as head coach.

We interviewed players, broadcasters, and other interested parties to assemble their recollections of the night in question. Any quotes that follow in italics were said on September 9, 2013.

1-10-PHI 20 (15:00) (Shotgun) M.Vick pass short left to R.Cooper to PHI 26 for 6 yards (P.Riley, D.Amerson).
Mike Tirico, Monday Night Football play-by-play: "One of the immediate questions with this Eagles offense, and you're going to see a lot of names that you know, is how fast will they go, what will be the tempo, how many plays can they squeeze in with Vick and McCoy and DeSean Jackson?"

2-4-PHI 26 (14:35) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick pass short middle to B.Celek to WAS 46 for 28 yards (J.Wilson).
Chris B. Brown, Smart Football: "The narrative of the summer had sort of been, 'Chip Kelly's going to the NFL. Chip Kelly's going to have to change the offense to run an NFL offense,' or sort of (run) what everyone else was running. Which was sort of an interesting perspective, because, why the heck do you hire Chip Kelly other than to run what he wants to run? But at the same time, you watched at Oregon, and you thought he had to make some changes. I think ultimately ... the seeds of some of the things that later didn't go so well were laid in the changes he did and didn't make, and even sort of what showed up in that first half."

1-10-WAS 46 (14:14) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick pass short left to D.Jackson pushed ob at WAS 30 for 16 yards (B.Rambo).
Cary Williams, cornerback: "I remember it being a Monday night game. There was no better way to start the season than to be up under the lights, whether it was home or away, it didn't matter to me. It was primetime football. It was a division game, it was a big game for a lot of people that dressed up in the uniform and put that Eagles logo on their chest ... And for a first-time coach, Chip Kelly, he had something to prove. He wanted to prove to the world that his offense would be a valuable offense, an offense that can produce points and do big things and transform the NFL game. So it was a pretty monumental game for a bunch of people on the team."

1-10-WAS 30 (14:07) (No Huddle, Shotgun) L.McCoy right guard to WAS 24 for 6 yards (J.Wilson).
Jon Gruden, Monday Night Football analyst: "You think this offense takes the crowd out of the game? All the screaming and yelling earlier, it's as quiet as I've ever seen it in a season opener. These fans don't know what hit them."

2-4-WAS 24 (13:38) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick pass incomplete deep right to B.Celek.
Lane Johnson, rookie right tackle: "I remember running 53 plays in the first half. That's what I remember. We were blowing them out early, then they eventually came back and made it closer at the end. The first half was unreal as far as scoring points. They really didn't have a clue what kind of offense we were going to run."

3-4-WAS 24 (13:33) (No Huddle, Shotgun) L.McCoy right end to WAS 21 for 3 yards (B.Orakpo, J.Wilson).
Jon Gruden: "Chip Kelly loves to go for it. He went for it 118 times at Oregon and it looks like there's no decision here, Mike. He's gonna stay on the gas."

4-1-WAS 21 (13:09) (No Huddle, Shotgun) L.McCoy up the middle to WAS 17 for 4 yards (B.Cofield, P.Riley).
Jon Gruden: "They told us they were gonna go fast. I've never seen it this fast. Chip Kelly has the Washington taterskins on their heels."

1-10-WAS 17 (12:38) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick pass incomplete short right to R.Cooper (J.Wilson).
Chris B. Brown, Smart Football: "I think Chip even converted a 4th-and-1, which he of course later in his career became much more conservative."

2-10-WAS 17 (12:29) (No Huddle, Shotgun) L.McCoy left guard to WAS 4 for 13 yards (D.Amerson).
Zach Ertz, rookie tight end: "It was probably the best offensive game we played while Chip was here. We freaking could not be stopped. Everything was working. I think we ran like 55 plays in the first half. So it was a crazy game. It was a crazy first experience (for a rookie's first game). It was (Washington quarterback Robert Griffin III's) big return from the ACL, so there was a lot of hoopla surrounding that. Chip's first game. I still remember it like it was yesterday."

1-4-WAS 4 (12:14) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick to WAS 10 for -6 yards (R.Kerrigan). FUMBLES (R.Kerrigan), touched at WAS 10, RECOVERED by WAS-D.Hall at WAS 25. D.Hall for 75 yards, TOUCHDOWN. Lateral batted by 91 – Kerrigan
The Replay Assistant challenged the backward pass ruling, and the play was Upheld.

PHI 0 WAS 7, 0 plays, 75 yards, 0:00 drive , 3:06 elapsed

Chris B. Brown, Smart Football: "(After that Washington touchdown), a normal team, a normal first-year coach, it would have been, 'Oh no, everything's gone wrong.' But instead, it was almost looked at as an opportunity. 'This is actually good, we're going to get the ball again.' Then they march down the field and then I think they got a field goal, and then Washington fumbled, and then of course Washington ended up getting a safety, which is one reason why they ran such an insane number of plays, because the Washington offense with an essentially still-hurt RG III was just in shambles. It was fascinating."

1-10-PHI 20 (11:54) (Shotgun) M.Vick pass short right to D.Jackson to PHI 46 for 26 yards (B.Rambo).
Mike Quick, Eagles Radio Analyst and Eagles Hall of Famer: "I remember that we could barely catch our breath. That's how quickly everything was moving. And I had never seen, especially at this level, moving at warp speed. And that was that warp speed, that first possession against the taterskins, I remember looking at Merrill [Reese] and Merrill looking at me and we were just like, what the —  is going on?"

1-10-PHI 46 (11:27) (No Huddle, Shotgun) L.McCoy left guard to WAS 44 for 10 yards (D.Amerson).
Merrill Reese, Eagles Radio Play-By-Play and Eagles Hall of Famer: "No, (it wasn't harder to call the game because of the pace). No, it was just fun."

1-10-WAS 44 (11:01) (No Huddle, Shotgun) L.McCoy up the middle to WAS 43 for 1 yard (R.Kerrigan).
Mike Quick: "No, he was all into it. He was loving it. I didn't get a word in edgewise. That's the difference, he was the only one who got to talk."

2-9-WAS 43 (10:34) (No Huddle, Shotgun) B.Brown up the middle to WAS 36 for 7 yards (J.Wilson; L.Fletcher).
Merrill Reese: "I thought, this is really working. People wondered whether it was just a college offense. But it's really working. But I did know in the back of my mind that like every offense and every defense that comes in and takes the world by storm, that gives the defensive coordinators ... time. They will find a way and ultimately it's going to come down to coaching and talent."

3-2-WAS 36 (10:12) (No Huddle, Shotgun) B.Brown left guard to WAS 29 for 7 yards (B.Rambo).
Connor Barwin, outside linebacker: "I remember how frustrating it was to go up against (the offense) all summer. It was exciting to watch somebody else have to deal with it. It was an exciting time, because at that time, we had 50-something plays or whatever, and it was working and we were getting off the field quick on defense. They were getting back on the field, so it was working on that time. Now, fast forward years down the line, it wasn't quite working as well."

1-10-WAS 29 (9:42) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick pass incomplete deep left to J.Avant.
Evan Mathis, left guard: "I was excited for the potential and for what the offense would be able to achieve. We were a team that was loaded with talent and we had this fast-paced offense that would be able to wear down defenses."

2-10-WAS 29 (9:36) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick pass incomplete deep middle to Z.Ertz.
Zach Ertz: "We kind of knew that it was going to be really fast. We didn't know how successful it was going to be until we got into that first game. But that first game, we felt like we could not be stopped. We felt like we were going to be one of the best offenses in the NFL."

3-10-WAS 29 (9:31) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick pass incomplete short left to Z.Ertz (E.Biggers).
Chris B. Brown: "There's arguably an inherent flaw with trying to be an up-tempo run offense in the NFL because, one,  ... the expected yards for every pass is just higher in the NFL than it is for runs. And then, two, the clock rules are different in college than they are in the NFL, and a lot of being up-tempo is playing a possessions game. So if you're running the ball, you're running the clock, you're not getting the same expected numbers, and then you're also getting in more third downs, third-and-longs, because you're not getting 15-yard runs, you're getting 3-yard runs or 4-yard runs, and then you're off schedule and you have to convert in sort of high-pressure third-down situations. And then the net result is you're actually driving down the number of possessions, whereas the Oregon game is about running so many plays and having so many possessions that you kind of tilt the game back in your favor. I think it was just a challenge to do that. Ultimately I think that was the direction Chip was forced to go as the run-game efficiency sagged and then the passing game just wasn't good enough to keep it up. The first year, the run game was extremely efficient and then the passing game was just all play action and that was insanely efficient, which is why you got all those crazy Nick Foles numbers. And then once the run game wasn't as good, you had to drop back, and Chip just didn't have the passing game system and the refined techniques to do that, and he sort of never has."

PHI 3 WAS 7, 9 plays, 51 yards, 2:39 drive, 5:45 elapsed

1-10-WAS 25 (9:07) M.Vick pass deep middle to D.Jackson for 25 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
PHI 10 WAS 7, 1 plays, 25 yards, 0:08 drive, 6:01 elapsed

Michael Vick, Quarterback: "I feel confident and comfortable with everything that Coach Kelly calls. We sit down and we go through the game plans, and we try to make sure everybody understands what we are trying to do. It doesn't get any better than that."

1-10-WAS 48 (7:20) (Shotgun) L.McCoy right end pushed ob at WAS 32 for 16 yards (J.Wilson).
Brandon Graham, outside linebacker: "I just wanted to see what the offense was going to be, how fast everything was. It was everything I thought it was. It was crazy. We were scoring, McCoy had a big first half. It was fun. It was fun to be able to see how fast the offense was."

1-10-WAS 32 (7:04) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick pass short left to D.Jackson to WAS 27 for 5 yards (J.Wilson; E.Biggers).
PENALTY on PHI-J.Avant, Offensive Pass Interference, 10 yards, enforced at WAS 32 – No Play.

Connor Barwin: "I don't know if I was curious. I was pretty sure it would work. I think we were all pretty confident. That first year, Chip did a lot of stuff and everybody had bought in. Everybody was really excited. We didn't quite think it would work quite as well as it did that first half. And it didn't work that well throughout the year. But we definitely caught them off guard Week 1."

21(b). 1-20-WAS 42 (6:43) (Shotgun) M.Vick right tackle to WAS 40 for 2 yards (P.Riley; B.Cofield).

Merrill Reese: "(In the broadcast booth), we are seated low, almost the lower level, in the corner of the end zone and our vantage point is poor and we have a tough time telling after they get over the 50 to our right whether the offense has picked up five yards or fifteen."

2-18-WAS 40 (6:08) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick sacked at WAS 46 for -6 yards (P.Riley).
Merrill Reese: "You know what, as bad as that stadium was, I was so blown away by what was going on that I just forgot about it and called the game."

3-24-WAS 46 (5:43) (No Huddle, Shotgun) L.McCoy right guard to WAS 39 for 7 yards (L.Fletcher, D.Tapp).
Donnie Jones, Punter: "It was a big topic of discussion with the offense (Kelly) ran at Oregon, how was that going to translate to the pros? I knew there was a lot of talk about that going into the game ... But it was no different for me."

PHI 12 WAS 7, Safety, 10:10 elapsed

1-10-PHI 34 (4:45) (Shotgun) L.McCoy up the middle to PHI 35 for 1 yard (B.Orakpo).
Chris B. Brown: "I don't know Chip personally, few people do, so I don't know what was going on in his head. It seemed after some initial success, and they obviously had to evolve a little bit after that first season, it just seemed like they kind of lost their way in terms of what they really wanted to be. Maybe some of that is ... when your central idea is just that, 'We're going to go fast,' that can work in a lot of contexts but it's also a success begets success philosophy. So you have to be more flexible when you're not getting first downs and have sort of a second punch."

2-9-PHI 35 (4:15) (Shotgun) M.Vick pass incomplete short left to R.Cooper [P.Riley].
Cary Williams: "I thought it was the ideal offense for (Vick), but for some reason he just kept having nagging injuries and I don't know if it was because of his age or what. Or if it was just one of those things that happens, But now that I think about it, Vick did have that thing running like a well-oiled machine."

3-9-PHI 35 (4:07) (Shotgun) M.Vick scrambles right end to PHI 46 for 11 yards (D.Hall; P.Riley).
Jon Gruden: "You still worry about Michael Vick running to his left or running to his right with the football. He's taken a lot of hits here in the first half."

1-10-PHI 46 (3:38) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick pass short middle to Z.Ertz to WAS 43 for 11 yards (L.Fletcher).
Mike Quick: "I think that at that pace you wouldn't have players that would last for very long because you can't move at that pace at this level with the demands that they're asking of you. There's no way that that could have lasted."

1-10-WAS 43 (3:17) (No Huddle, Shotgun) L.McCoy up the middle to WAS 43 for no gain (E.Biggers, K.Golston). WAS-K.Golston was injured during the play. His return is Probable. Muscle cramps.
Evan Mathis: "I don't think that pace is sustainable over the course of a season. It wears down everyone involved and puts compounding mileage on the body. It's a great weapon to have that pace as an offense in the NFL but it's a weapon that should be used sparingly, not the vast majority of the time."

2-10-WAS 43 (3:17) (No Huddle, Shotgun) PENALTY on PHI-J.Peters, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at WAS 43 – No Play.
Cary Williams: "You don't have as many bodies. And you also have older guys here, guys that are mid-20s, 30s, late 20s, things like that. And the game is so much faster too and it's much more brutal as far as taxing your body in the pros. So a lot of things that you were able to accomplish with younger guys, younger bodies and more bodies in the collegiate game, and you can't do it on the professional level. There's not that many people. The roster can't hold 100 people."

29(b). 2-15-WAS 48 (2:40) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick pass short left to R.Cooper to WAS 40 for 8 yards (B.Rambo; D.Amerson).

Connor Barwin: "No doubt (we were in better shape than other teams at the beginning of the season), but maybe that hurt us on the back end."

3-7-WAS 40 (2:11) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick pass incomplete deep left to R.Cooper (D.Amerson) [B.Orakpo].
Michael Vick:  It was a crazy game. I have never been in anything like it. When the first quarter was over I thought we were going into halftime. It was unreal. The only thing I could tell myself was it's going to be a long season."

1-10-PHI 17 (13:46) (Shotgun) L.McCoy left tackle to PHI 19 for 2 yards (P.Riley, L.Fletcher).
Chris B. Brown: "I always thought the biggest what-if was what if he had started somewhere in 2012? Because I think in some ways he had a disadvantage, and he would have needed the right quarterback, but that was the year that all these quarterbacks started running the read-option stuff and defenses were sort of befuddled. Not that they didn't understand it, but they didn't practice against it. And it also took away a lot of the instincts. You have to really drill down on a defensive end to learn how to slow-play it, use the right steps and stuff when he's used to sort of teeing off. There's also a subtlety a lot of people don't realize where the offensive line blocks down and you have certain responsibilities and this sort of changes that. I thought that if he showed up in 2012, and obviously he would have had to have the right roster and all that, combining the tempo and being really the first guy to bring all that to the league in a heavy-duty way I think would have been a real, real challenge. ... And then the other thing, I think you have to go to some of the roster choices. The DeSean Jackson thing, and I'm not an Eagles guy, I don't really know, don't really care, but just from an offseason perspective, there was clearly something going on there and they tried to sell the fans and the world a bill of goods about whatever that was about."

2-8-PHI 19 (13:20) (No Huddle, Shotgun) L.McCoy right guard to PHI 24 for 5 yards (S.Bowen; D.Hall).
Cary Williams: "I feel like a lot of things could have been avoided if you think about the Chip era, a lot of what-ifs could have happened. When you look at the scenario where D-Jack was gone, that's a what-if. With him and (Jeremy) Maclin, and what Maclin came back to do the next year, which was something special. If we would have had DeSean Jackson included in that, and we would have had Shady McCoy, and Sproles, and we would have had Jordan Matthews if he was available or however that worked out. When I look at that strictly off of paper, with Zach Ertz and all those guys. ... I just felt like we would have had a lot more if we had kept D-Jack ... So for whatever reason, whether it was for business or whatever, you got rid of guys years later. You get rid of LeSean McCoy. You get rid of Trent Cole and other guys, me included. At the end of the day, it's business and you can't take anything personal from the business."

3-3-PHI 24 (12:50) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick pass short left to D.Jackson to PHI 29 for 5 yards (E.Biggers) [J.Wilson].
Evan Mathis: "What if we had actually evolved and adapted instead of trying to do the same thing over and over?"

1-10-PHI 29 (12:23) (No Huddle, Shotgun) L.McCoy up the middle to PHI 33 for 4 yards (B.Rambo).
DeSean Jackson, Wide Receiver: "Honestly, I feel great and confident with the guys in my locker room. Biggest thing we say is that we came down on the train together and we're all one team together. We went on the field and we played like one team. As long as we are able to do that every Sunday, every Monday, every Thursday when we play games, I think this is a team that could end up in the playoffs."

2-6-PHI 33 (12:01) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick pass short left to D.Jackson to PHI 39 for 6 yards (E.Biggers).
Chris B. Brown: "In hindsight, (releasing Jackson) is only objectively a terrible move. The other thing with Chip, and I don't know what compelled him to think he needed to do it, but I'm actually not sure that any human is capable of being an NFL head coach, playcaller, and general manager. I mean I guess Bill Walsh did it for a while, but it was also a very different NFL and he didn't really do it that long. And then Belichick doesn't even call the plays. So that, again, I don't know who you have to be to pull that off ... I think ultimately that's one reason why his offense suffered. How is he going to do all of those things and then focus on getting the offense and the game-planning right?"

1-10-PHI 39 (11:31) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick pass short left to D.Jackson pushed ob at WAS 49 for 12 yards (P.Riley).
LeSean McCoy, running back: "They were having a hard time lining up. You can definitely know when a defense is tired, as they're going down you're hiking the ball. The tempo really worked. I don't think anyone has seen it that fast."

1-10-WAS 49 (11:14) (No Huddle, Shotgun) B.Brown left end to 50 for -1 yards (R.Kerrigan). WAS-C.Baker was injured during the play.
Mike Shanahan, Washington Head Coach: "That's why you get cramps. When the team has the ball as many plays as they do and guys are playing very hard, and with the heat out there and as much running as their doing, they do have cramps and that's why we had a couple of guys with cramps."

2-11-50 (10:46) (Shotgun) B.Brown left guard to WAS 45 for 5 yards (L.Fletcher; E.Biggers).
Chris B. Brown: "In some ways it's a fascinating game because it was so exciting for what it was, and then obviously I still look at it — promise unfulfilled is probably the wrong phrase because I don't think necessarily Chip needed to be the vehicle for all this stuff. It was just an exciting product ... From an Eagles perspective I guess it was disappointing, I imagine for most of the fans, because 'We thought we were ahead of the game,' and then it sort of petered out. But it took a whole season for things to start going that direction. Or a season and a half I guess."

3-6-WAS 45 (10:16) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick sacked at PHI 42 for -13 yards (R.Kerrigan).
Connor Barwin: "All I can remember is how excited we were on the sidelines in that second quarter. But even in that game, it wore off at the end. It was like, 'Holy s—, they're right back in this thing.'"

1-10-PHI 38 (8:17) (Shotgun) L.McCoy left end to PHI 45 for 7 yards (P.Riley).
LeSean McCoy: "Today is the first time a lot of guys in the locker room had fun. We couldn't wait to get back out there and have fun. I feel it, the whole first half we went up and down, up and down. I think there's obviously room for improvement, as far as closing the game out, penalties, turnovers, things like that; small things we can get over."

2-3-PHI 45 (7:46) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick left end pushed ob at 50 for 5 yards (B.Rambo).
PENALTY on PHI-E.Mathis, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at PHI 45 – No Play.

Lane Johnson: "It was one of the funnest games of my career."

41(b). 2-13-PHI 35 (7:29) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick pass short right to L.McCoy to PHI 40 for 5 yards (D.Hall; P.Riley).

Zach Ertz: "It was crazy. It was fun. Everything was going 1,000 miles an hour."

3-8-PHI 40 (6:49) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick pass short middle to D.Jackson to WAS 46 for 14 yards (D.Hall).
PENALTY on WAS-D.Hall, Horse Collar Tackle, 15 yards, enforced at WAS 46.

Michael Vick: "I don't think you can get too much faster than that."

1-10-WAS 31 (6:32) (Shotgun) L.McCoy left end pushed ob at WAS 28 for 3 yards (B.Rambo).
LeSean McCoy: "Tons of fun. The thing is I feel like the type of players we have, so much speed, so much quickness, even the quarterback is an athlete. There's so much room and so much space to make plays. When you throw the ball to [Brent] Celek he's making plays, DeSean [Jackson] looks alive again, Mike [Vick] running and throwing the ball, then myself and Bryce Brown, so many different players to make plays in this type of offense."

2-7-WAS 28 (6:18) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick pass deep middle to B.Celek for 28 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
PHI 19 WAS 7, 5 plays, 62 yards, 1 penalty, 2:07 drive, 8:50 elapsed

Evan Mathis: "I was sitting on the bench next to Jason Kelce right before the half and I said, 'There goes one game.' He replied, 'Dude, don't say that.' He thought I meant we were up so much that we could count it as a win. To which I replied, 'I'm not saying the game is over, I'm saying we just ran a full game's worth of plays.' That half was fun but it wore us down too. If you take your time and watch that game, you'll see a lot of guys on both sides of the ball really start to slow down as the game progressed."

1-10-WAS 44 (4:11) (Shotgun) L.McCoy left end to WAS 36 for 8 yards (R.Kerrigan).
Lane Johnson: "We just didn't push the envelope like we did that game. Really, you can't do that at this level, push that envelope for 16 games and into the playoffs before somebody catches on to what you're doing."

2-2-WAS 36 (3:49) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick pass incomplete short right to D.Jackson [B.Cofield].
Chris B. Brown: "The pace was really fast, which I think the NFL made a concerted effort to slow down later, but that first game the officials were playing Chip's game and they were trying to get the ball lined up as fast as possible to let them rip off plays to take their advantage. I think the league and (former NFL VP of Officiating Dean) Blandino and (NFL Commissioner Roger) Goodell and those guys, they talked about it, how the officials controlled the game and it's sort of constructed for the TV product. They did this not just to (Kelly) but to Tom Brady, they did it to Peyton Manning, they were slowing the game down. But that game, it was pretty unleashed. They were marching down the field, they were throwing run-pass options, they were doing stuff that was straight out of Kelly's playbook from Oregon, and the big thing was we hadn't seen in the NFL a true ... run-first, up-tempo spread offense. You'd seen some read-options the year before, you'd seen some up-tempo from Tom Brady, but that was different and they were able to repeatedly get Washington out of gaps and get LeSean McCoy going for big yards. And that was just a different look."

3-2-WAS 36 (3:43) (No Huddle, Shotgun) L.McCoy left end to WAS 24 for 12 yards (R.Kerrigan).
Mike Quick: "It caught everybody by storm. So every team in the league got tape then. I don't remember who we played the next week, but they got a chance to see that, they got a chance to start to gameplan for it. Even if you just go base defense, you know the alignments, you know your assignments. But in Washington, they had no idea. I remember the linebacker London Fletcher and I remember how tired he looked and how out of place he was. I remember the play-action stuff, he was completely lost. From a linebacker's spot, you don't turn around and make a complete circle in the middle of the defense, but that's what he did more than once."

1-10-WAS 24 (3:18) (No Huddle, Shotgun) L.McCoy right guard to WAS 14 for 10 yards (L.Fletcher).
Chris B. Brown: "(Washington defensive coordinator Jim) Haslett clearly outthought himself. He talked a lot about how he watched every Oregon game, but he kind of outthought himself because the plan was just sort of goofy. The whole thing was he was playing a lot of quarters (coverage), so Chip could sort of do the things he likes to do where he manipulates the defenders in conflict, run-pass and all that, get them stretched out and then get the big running lanes, do the unbalanced and all those things."

1-10-WAS 14 (2:50) (No Huddle, Shotgun) B.Brown right tackle to WAS 8 for 6 yards (J.Wilson, L.Fletcher).
Cary Williams: "I've had my differences, but at the end of the day, when I look back in retrospect, for him to win 10 games in his first two seasons was, to me, was a feat. Especially in that division, when you have so much talent around the division. When you have veteran quarterbacks around the division that were known for winning. You had Tony Romo there, he's something special, and I don't know if he'll be a Hall of Famer, but he'll definitely be in the Cowboys (Ring of Honor). We had a bunch of different teams. The Giants, Eli (Manning), he's won two Super Bowls. Just thinking about that division and as a new coach you get 10 games, that's great. I mean, he'd never coached an NFL team, never had experience with an NFL team, you were coaching college guys."

2-4-WAS 8 (2:24) (No Huddle, Shotgun) B.Brown up the middle to WAS 6 for 2 yards (L.Fletcher; P.Riley).
Chris B. Brown: "I think I'd argue part of Chip's problem was as much as he didn't evolve and do different things, the NFL also came to him with the shotgun and the spread and some of the run concepts and all those other things. There's two ways to catch up with somebody. One is to figure it out and the other is just to start emulate it. I think that first half was not such a game-that-changed-the-game revolution, but it was sort of another turn in the turn the game had already been going in the last few years, which was the game we have more now, where teams are 70 percent in the shotgun and spread and up-tempo in a lot of ways, and all those things. It was just another notch in that direction."

3-2-WAS 6 (2:00) (Shotgun) L.McCoy right end to WAS 3 for 3 yards (L.Fletcher; B.Rambo).
Connor Barwin: "I learned a lot from (Kelly) in my time there. I think he did a lot of things right. I think he changed the league in a lot of ways. But obviously things didn't work out and I don't know what happened. All in all, I'm thankful to have played for him and wish we had won a little more games at the end. But I learned a lot from him."

1-3-WAS 3 (1:27) (No Huddle, Shotgun) L.McCoy left guard to WAS 3 for no gain (B.Orakpo, P.Riley).
Chris B. Brown: "He went from being just a coach who did some interesting stuff to being this figurehead for all spread offense coaches anywhere. And then it went even beyond and he became the symbol of like forward-thinking in football ... which I think is unfair to anybody and certainly a second-year NFL coach who coached for four years in college."

2-3-WAS 3 (1:02) (No Huddle, Shotgun) M.Vick left guard for 3 yards, TOUCHDOWN.
PHI 26 WAS 7, 9 plays, 44 yards, 3:13 drive, 14:02 elapsed

Chip Kelly, Head Coach: "I had a lot of fun tonight and I think our guys had a lot of fun, but you can always say that when you win."
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

the quote that sums up the chip era

QuoteEvan Mathis: "What if we had actually evolved and adapted instead of trying to do the same thing over and over?"

2nd best coach in the nfl behind BB
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

MDS

THIS MOTHERfargER WAS SO BAD AND 2 YEARS WE WON A SUPER BOWL

WHAT
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

QB Eagles

I think what we may have witnessed over the last three games is Doug marrying his usual Andy Reid (with better play calling and clock management) offense with Chip's college style that Foles thrived in, and creating something the NFL could not develop an answer for in one month's time. Eager to go back and watch tape of this playoff run until I'm an old man.