Smart Phones, Tablets, Gadgets, etc....

Started by reese125, January 09, 2011, 12:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

i have both

on the mlbtv app on the appletv i can watch 2 games at once. on the roku jawn i cannot. nhltv is essentially the same product so id reckon its the same thing there.

apple tv is more expensive and has a better, more advanced interface. roku is choppier and simplistic. in essence they both do the same things and roku is cheaper.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 12, 2017, 07:54:32 PM
no i know what you meant...but the only apple thing i have is an iphone but would never watch tv on it

You use the Apple TV to display content on your tv so that you don't have to watch on your phone, dingus.

Rome

Which VPN service do you jackals use?

Asking for a friend.

Tomahawk

My old company used Nortel...seemed to work well enough.

Should this thread be re-named to Technology?

Since I moved into my house about 10 years ago, somebody climbed up through the kitchen window to steal my ex-girlfriends purse (recovered), somebody else (or maybe the same person) broke-in, while I was in NOLA getting robbed by a girl, to try to steal my shtein (neighbors called the cops and all items the thief had were retrieved), and then a few days ago, some motherfarger tried to drill out the lock cylinder but were not able to gain entry.

Considering how popular my house is, I want to buy a couple security cameras to mount around the doors. I'd prefer them to be small enough that they wouldn't be easily noticed. Does anybody have any recommendations?

Also, do private citizens have cost efficient access to facial recognition software?

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Tomahawk on October 23, 2017, 05:39:48 PM
Should this thread be re-named to Technology?

No, you should have started a Home Security thread.

QuoteSince I moved into my house about 10 years ago, somebody climbed up through the kitchen window to steal my ex-girlfriends purse (recovered), somebody else (or maybe the same person) broke-in while I was in NOLA getting robbed by a girl to try to steal my shtein (neighbors called the cops and all items the thief had were retrieved), and then a few days ago, some motherfarger tried to drill out the lock cylinder but were not able to gain entry.

You got to get up out da hood, yo. 

QuoteConsidering how popular my house is, I want to buy a couple security cameras to mount around the doors. I'd prefer them to be small enough that they wouldn't be easily noticed. Does anybody have any recommendations?

For your exterior, it's actually better for cameras to be visible as their presence serves as a deterrent.  Thief sees cameras, thief chooses a new house to rob.  Most important thing about exterior cameras is placement, as you want them to have visibility of the most vulnerable entry point(s) to your home, but you also want them to be mounted high enough that they can't easily be tampered with.   

QuoteAlso, do private citizens have cost efficient access to facial recognition software?

Probably not, but there are a lot of wifi enabled smart lock systems popping up on the market over the last few years.  I haven't really looked into them myself so I couldn't recommend any particular brand over another but they're definitely out there. 

Tomahawk

Though it may be hard to believe, it's actually a nice enough neighborhood. I'm assuming the latest incident was a neighborhood kid because I'm pretty sure you can't drill a lock out like that to gain entry, but I think I've seen it in a movie.

The facial recognition would be to enable visiting the perpetrator at his home; not unlock my door for me. If it's a kid, no reason to get the police involved, and if it's an adult, maybe I can help him find a job or something.

Tomahawk

Rome

https://www.target.com/p/apple-174-ipad-mini-4-wi-fi-only-2015-model/-/A-50218097#lnk=sametab&preselect=16871839

That is a seriously awesome deal.  I snagged on this morning.  I've had my other Mini for several years and I use it every day. 

Sgt PSN

Best Buy had that same exact price like 2 weeks ago when I bought one for my daughter, except it was the latest 2017 model instead of the 2015.

Rome

There is no latest model.  The last update to the Mini was in 2015.  Mine, like your daughter's, is brand new. 

Most of the sites I looked at today for the 128gb were $399 too.  The Target one also offers free shipping. 

So there. 

Sgt PSN

Sgt PSN

On a somewhat related note, I've been in Austin for like 2 weeks and I was able to buy a used (2010) 13" Macbook from some dude on CL for $250.  Nice dude, gay as farg, kept the thing in immaculate condition.  And there's like a gazillion similar listings around here for about the same price.  This will make a nice bridge for about 2 years until I feel like shelling out $1200 on a new one. 

Seriously though....similar Macbooks in Pennsyltucky are being listed for $500+ and most of them look pretty farging beat up. 

Tomahawk

Anybody have any opinions on which laser measuring tool is the best?

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

Assuming that he's measuring his wang for his grindr profile, he probably wants something that rounds up.