2008 Philadelphia Phillies Season/Playoff Thread (Die Mets Die)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2008, 09:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

First we shall remember the glory of last September as the Phightins went on a historic run and Mess suffered a collapse of historic proportions.

As for this year:

Key Additions:

• Geoff Jenkins
  • Brad Lidge
  • Pedro Feliz

Key Subtractions:

• Aaron Rowand

Everybody knows this team will hit.  IMO, they have the best offense in the NL East, with the Braves a close 2nd.  It will all come down to starting pitching.  Can Kyle Kendrick match what he did last year?  Can Jamie Moyer not be awful.  Can Adam Eaton get hit by a bus on the way to a game in April?  If any of these questions can be answered in the positive, the pitching staff has a chance to be on par with last year.  But there are no illusions about this staff, this team is going to have to out hit their opponents on most nights.

The bullpen may actually be a strength this year, Madsen and Romero in the 7th, Gordon in the 8th, Lidge in the 9th.  I think Lidge will be ok, others do not, we shall see.

My prediction  90-72, 2nd place NL East.  Win the WC.

I am grow'd up icehole.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

please tell me you did not just make a new thread because someone else started one before you

top 5 worst things ever done
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

ice grillin you

i dont believe in karma anywhere much less message board karma but if it exists this can only bring the bad kind

and if he acvtually deleted his own thread because of this hes a worse person than you

SunMo

ice grillin you

Rome

Feel better now?   :-D

I hope Jay doesn't get pissed at having to re-post his predictions. 

Anyway, I got 91-71 and a wild card birth.  And I also think the Mets are going to fold like a motherfarger again. 

1. Braves
2. Phillies
3. Mets
4. Nationals
5. Marlins

I'll also pick the Phillies to make it to the NLCS but lose to the Diamondbacks in the NLCS.  The Douchebacks' starting pitching is damn impressive.  They have arguably the best 1-2 punch in the NL with Webb & Haren plus they also have Randy Johnson who could be huge if he stays healthy.

Who wins the World Series is irrelevant since the Phillies won't make it there but I'll go with the Red Sox to repeat.

SD_Eagle5

I said 88 wins last thread but I'm gonna go with 90. I don't see a fast or slow start this season, more like an average start, which is fine. They'll contend for the WC.

PhillyPhreak54

All good Romey, I will sacrifice them for the greater good of Phillies karma and just repost them here.

1. Phillies 94-68
2. Mets 88-74
3. Braves 86-76
4. Nationals 75-87
5. Marlins 70-92

* Howard hits 60+
* Rollins has another MVP-type season but loses his shot at a repeat because;
* Chase Utley is the NL MVP, he'll hit .330+ with 25+ HRS
* The Werth/Jenkins platoon works out okay
* Pedro Feliz turns out to be one of the best low-key signings of the off-season
* Brad Lidge returns to his old form with a high 90s fastball and that hard ass slider

* Adam Eaton goes on the DL with a yeast infection
* Pat Burrell has a so-so final season in Philly and Billy Beans weeps sadly for his man
* Myers wins 15 and IGY cakes me off for that and the wins bet
* The Phils will miss Aaron Rowand big time, and they will regret not signing him
* The bullpen will be a strength (at least the back end)

MDS

sunmo is a queer

87 wins, 2 games out the wild card.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Geowhizzer

Pitching woes (other than Hamels) torpedoes the team this year.

1.  Mets 95-67
2.  Braves 92-70
3.  Phillies 87-75
4.  Nationals 75-87
5.  Marlins 68-94

- Howard hits 56 HRs, knocks in 140+
- Utley:  .320, 43 HR, 135 RBI, MVP
- Rollins:  .289, 21 HR, 76 RBI, 32 SB
- Hamels:  19-8, 2.87 ERA, Top 3 in Cy Young
- Myers:  14-11, 4.32 ERA
- Kendrick:  12-9, 4.98 ERA
- Moyer:  Retired in July after starting 4-8, 6.54 ERA
- Lidge - 25 saves, on DL at least a calendar month

The Phils could top 90 wins, or could finish .500.  They're good, but that starting rotation is going to bite them in the ass all year.

Wingspan

Phils win the division again, Braves get the WC spot. The Mets finish below .500...and Santana will have a 1972 Carlton type year...but it won't make a difference.

Hamels will finish 18-3 2.25 ERA, 2nd in Cy Young Voting
Myers will go 14-16 4.90
Kendrick 13-7 4.50

Utley wins MVP

Howard hits 35 HRS, but has a .320 average and 160 rbi, leads the league in doubles.

Eaton will be gone as soon as Benson is healthy enough, which will be some time this december.

Lidge will have less than 15 saves this season, Romero will be the closer for most of the year, and Myers will save the final 2 games of the year to win the division again.

Burrell will be resigned before the trade deadline for half the money he makes now.

It will be the same april as normal...fall way behind, and then catch up the rest of the year.

91 wins

PS Karma is for 'tards
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PoopyfaceMcGee

This team is about two injuries away from a major pitching disaster.

86 wins.  Possible wild-card, but probably not.

MDS

Quote from: PhillyGirl on March 30, 2008, 03:28:07 PM
Quote from: MDS on March 30, 2008, 12:49:14 PM
sunmo is a queer

87 wins, 2 games out the wild card.

Quote from: MDS on March 26, 2007, 07:44:34 PM
89 and no playoffs

CHOKE

well of course its predictable that i called sunmo a queer. he is one.

and the only reason they won last year was because of the mets epic choke.

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.