Anyone seen a good movie lately?

Started by henchmanUK, December 09, 2004, 11:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

it actually was a really good year for movies...just not a good year for nominated movies
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

nobody remembers what year anything came out...in 10 years its not going to be "oh 8th grade wasnt nominated" its going to be "how the farg did that MAGA crap green book win"

the oscars are the barometer for that year in film
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

you are about Q rating...im about the art

MDS

in my personal choices i am a total film snob, dont get me wrong

when it comes to something big like the oscars im more so about q rating and cultural impact. id always side with a movie that people actually see and that resonates with society at large versus something that plays well to the festival circuit. there really wasnt one of those this year which is why i went with roma, but last year get out couldnt have been any more obvious of a choice.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

QB Eagles

Oscars are losing their validity with the public like just about every other societal institution. Might as well just start crowning the superhero movies and be done with it.

SD

Leaving Neverland...if you were ever on the fence whether Michael Jackson was a pedophile this will remove all doubt.

ice grillin you

i dont think anyone was on the fence...even after this doc there are two kinds of people..the same two kinds there has been for 20 years

people who know he did it

MJ stans who say he didnt do it but know he did

multiple people have accused him of doing it for years and even the people close to him who supported him admitted he slept in bed with kids all the time

SD

I'm obviously not up to snuff on my mj gossip

ice grillin you

MDS

mj the child rapist doc - the biggest thing this doc can do is 1) remove this vile child rapist who everyone has known for decades is a child rapist from polite society...it's already happening in new zealand and canada where his shtein is off radio rotations. 2) bring further awareness to the cause. if even 1 person comes forward about being assaulted, this doc would have been worth it. as a film, it was captivating and incredible. the oprah interview was also great, plus it featured former eagle al chesley talking about his assault. go birds. 5/5

can you ever forgive me - really enjoyed this. strong, strong performances from mccarthy and the surprisingly not gay in real life richy grant really carried this thing. they took what could have been a tv movie or something kinda of whatever and turned it into a strong and somewhat emotional 90 minutes. 4/5

baby driver - late to the party here but this was fun. script could use a lot of work. zombie jon hamm at the end was preposterous. jamie foxx was pointlessly evil. soundtrack, though, was sensational and the car scenes were a blast. 3/5

Rome

Captain Marvel was fun.  Brie Larson is a 10.   Soundtrack was an 11.

SD

Quote from: Rome on March 10, 2019, 07:37:53 PM

Thought it was...meh. Thought she lacked the charisma and wit of the other Marvel characters.

Munson

Really enjoyed it. She was definitely a little more subdued wit/humor-wise as a hero compared to the others, but the movie made up for it with Fury being a lot more charismatic, as well as more humor from the other characters. The Skrulls were pretty funny in the back half of the movie.

I re-watched Black Panther earlier today too..this one and BP are probably my two favorite 'origin' movies in the MCU, besides maybe GOTG.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Rome

Quote from: AO1 on March 10, 2019, 07:57:01 PM
Quote from: Rome on March 10, 2019, 07:37:53 PM

Thought it was...meh. Thought she lacked the charisma and wit of the other Marvel characters.

I think that was a deliberate choice made by the filmmakers and somehow Larson went along with it. 

She's anything but dull in other parts.  Once they got past the "surprise" in the middle, she lit up the screen. 

ice grillin you

Super hero movie will drag down the best of actors