Boxing World continued..

Started by MURP, November 04, 2004, 05:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

MURP

phillymic2000

Out of town all weekend, didn't get a chance to see the fight. good to see the X get his 20th defense. He will probably fight Johnson/Trinidad/Taylor next. I think it will be in that order only for payday. I think Taylor is the most dangerous fight for him, as far as a lose lose situation. Beat him and he was supposed to beat the young gun, lose and it is an upset.

henchmanUK

"The drunkenness, the violence, the nihilism: the Eagles should really be an English football team, not an American one." - Financial Times, London

phillymic2000

Quote from: henchmanUK on February 23, 2005, 11:29:41 AM
Quote from: PhillyGirl on February 20, 2005, 09:03:45 AM
X

:'( My boy did better than I thought he would, though.

It was funny when he stated that he was going to KO Hopkins in 5 rds. I really did not worry at all about this fight. Eastman is ok, but his toughest fight befroe fridayn ight was against Joppy, a loss, even though he knocked Joppy down late in the fight.

Anymore British guys you got over there. i am looking for mike to fight Williams again, for pride of the country ;) here is a letter from Williams to Tyson.

from boxingcentral.com:

QuoteDear Mike,

I've read on the internet that you are now back in training and ready to resume your boxing career. I also read that your new trainer, Buddy McGirt, seems to believe you can still be a major player in the heavyweight division and I know some fans out there believe you can once again become heavyweight champion of the world. I don't know about that, but what I do know is that for any comeback of yours to be taken seriously by boxing fans you must first come through me, the man who knocked you out in four rounds in July 2004.

Williams and Tyson
Your fight with me last summer was called 'Return for Revenge' but it appears Mike Tyson doesn't actually go for revenge at all. Of the four men to knock you out - Buster Douglas, Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis and myself - you've only tried to even the score with one of them in Holyfield.

I wonder why. Perhaps 'Iron Mike' is only interested in facing opponents he knows he can intimidate and dominate? I guess we'll soon see. Since I beat you, you've never once given me any credit for besting you inside four rounds. Instead, you've come out with excuse after excuse for what happened in that Louisville ring and now I see you've described me as 'a journeyman' and dismissed my victory as a fluke.

Mike, I know you are a boxing historian so how come you are so unfamiliar with boxing's tradition of showing an opponent respect after the fight has happened? Are you so deep in denial? You also said over the weekend that you want to start with 'an easier fight in May or June'. Well, why not fight this 'journeyman' in an easy fight and prove to the world that my win over you was actually just a stroke of rotten luck for you? I dare you to fight me again, anywhere, anytime. You can even have another biased referee who takes two points per round off me for non-existent fouls, if that will make you feel more secure.

The rematch between the two of us is a natural fight which would be appealing to boxing fans around the world. Our first fight was one of the most exciting fights of the year and was certainly the most entertaining heavyweight battle of 2004. Mike, you need to beat me to prove that you should still be taken seriously as a legitimate heavyweight rather than a touring sideshow, knocking over part-time fighters, which I hear is one of the plans on the table for you. And, to be honest, after my fight with Vitali Klitschko two months ago I need another big win to prove that I am worthy of another run towards the world heavyweight champion.

This fight makes sense for me just as much as it makes sense for you; assuming, of course, you believe you can win. A rematch between us wouldn't need any hyping and I'm coming off a bad knockout loss myself, too, and so you'll never have a better chance to beat me and 'prove' that my victory was the' fluke' you claim it to be. If you really think what I did to you - pound you into the ropes and down in to the canvas with 26 unanswered punches - was an accident or the result of some mysterious knee injury then you'll have no problem instructing your people to call my promoter. Let's do this.

The only reason this fight won't happen is because you or those in charge of your career don't want it to. Mike, I'm returning to training now, too, and am also targeting a May or June comeback date. Pick up the phone and let's see if I can catch you with 26 more 'lucky punches'.

Yours in boxing

Danny Williams Heavyweight contender

Drunkmasterflex

I saw on the bottom line about a half hour ago that Spadafora got sentenced to 5 years today.
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

phillymic2000

Here is the release from fight news.com along with some other tid bits:

QuoteSpadafora sentenced!
Former IBF lightweight champion Paul Spadafora was sentenced today to 21-to-60 months in prison for the shooting of his girlfriend. "The Pittsburgh Kid" stated in court that he would make the city proud if he could get "just a little chance." He may get that chance. The Department of Corrections will decide whether Spadafora will be allowed to go to a motivational boot camp, which could have him back on the streets as soon as August. The unbeaten Spadafora shot his girlfriend in the abdomen after an argument.
Wednesday, February 23 2005

QuoteFormer heavyweight champion Riddick Bowe has reportedly applied for a boxing license to fight April 23 in Washington, D.C.

QuoteTyson/Top Rank Update: "Yeah, we would like to promote him," says Top Rank chief Bob Arum. "I've talked briefly with him, hopefully we'll be able to. I just talked to Shelly Finkel, that's his call. If anything comes of it, I don't know."

QuoteLooks like the Floyd Mayweather vs Arturo Gatti pay-per-view is on. Mayweather was sentenced Wednesday to community service for his role in a bar fight in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Floyd was facing up to three months in jail, which would have kayoed the June 11 Gatti clash. He pleaded no-contest to a misdemeanor assault and battery charge.

RomeyRome

Felix on left, Winky with mask on

tick tock

MURP

is that some grey hair on Felix?  ;)

Drunkmasterflex

I hope Wright destroys him there is no fighter I hate more than Felix Trinidad. 

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

phillymic2000

Quote from: drunkmasterflex on March 08, 2005, 04:39:16 PM
I hope Wright destroys him there is no fighter I hate more than Felix Trinidad. 

Oh man DMF do I agree with you. Of course I wouldn't mind seeing Tito get pimped slapped again by X, just to see him go down again, and see his jagbag father come up with more excuses would make my day.

phillymic2000

FRom fightnews.com:

QuoteGatti vs Mayweather is set!
After feverish discussions and intense negotiations WBC super lightweight champion Arturo Gatti and Floyd Mayweather, Jr. have agreed to fight on June 25, 2005, at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City, NJ, it was announced today by Main Events CEO Kathy Duva. There is a deal in place with HBO Pay-Per-View for the bout. Caesars Atlantic City and Bally's Atlantic City will play host to the jr. welterweight championship showdown. The breakthrough in negotiations came when all parties involved agreed to switch around dates to accommodate Arturo Gatti's training schedule. "All the parties were very flexible re-arranging dates and sites," said Kathy Duva, CEO of Main Events, Gatti's promotional firm. "This is boxing at its best with all sides working together—especially Bally's Atlantic City President Ken Condon—to effect compromise and reach a solution where everyone wins, particularly the fans." "I am so happy this is resolved," said Gatti. "I can't wait to get back into the gym so I can punish Mayweather come June 25" "The fight is on because this is the fight the public demands," said Bob Arum, President of Top Rank, Floyd Mayweather, Jr's promotional firm. "It will be the biggest jr. welterweight fight ever." "This will be a great fight for the public," said Mayweather. "And I want the fans to know that I will be victorious."

MURP

anyone watching the contender?  I dont watch any reality tv, but i wathed 1 and a half episodes of this so far.  Some of it is typical BS, but I like the way they do the fights at the end of each show.   :yay   They havnt showed much of the Philly guy who killed himself, but im interested in seeing him on the show.  Maybe it would shed some light on the way he was thinking before his suicide.

Drunkmasterflex

Quote from: MURP on March 14, 2005, 04:09:39 PM
anyone watching the contender?  I dont watch any reality tv, but i wathed 1 and a half episodes of this so far.  Some of it is typical BS, but I like the way they do the fights at the end of each show.   :yay   They havnt showed much of the Philly guy who killed himself, but im interested in seeing him on the show.  Maybe it would shed some light on the way he was thinking before his suicide.

There was a Philly guy on the show that killed himself?

MURP