Jim Johnson wants nastier defense

Started by PhillyGirl, August 05, 2005, 08:36:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyGirl

QuoteJohnson wants 'nastier' defense
The Associated Press

BETHLEHEM, Pa. - Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson wants his unit to make a minor attitude adjustment.

"Jim has already told us we need to be a little nastier, so that's something were going to put in our books," safety Brian Dawkins said following Thursday's practice. "He just wants to add to what it is we had last year."  :evil

What the Eagles had last year was a defense that sent five players, including Dawkins, to the Pro Bowl. Their defense finished tied for second in the NFL in average points allowed (16.25) and 10th in total yards (319.7). The Eagles were also second with 47 sacks and tied for 11th with 28 takeaways.

Those numbers translated into the Eagles first Super Bowl appearance in 24 years. Now Johnson, who prides himself on having an aggressive defense, is setting the bar even higher and did so the first time he addressed his unit at camp.

"In so many words, that was his meaning," Dawkins said. "It's just another notch in your intensity as far as getting to the ball, everybody getting to the ball. That's what we are as a defense anyway, but just add to it. Hopefully, the guys heard the same thing I heard, because that's definitely something that stood out to me."

Last season, the Eagles defense needed time to come together. Cornerbacks Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown were in their third seasons but first as regular starters. Defensive end Jevon Kearse and strongside linebacker Dhani Jones were in their first seasons with the team.

The Eagles shored up their run defense at midseason by supplanting middle linebacker Mark Simoneau with Jeremiah Trotter. Simoneau moved to the weakside but had an ankle injury late in the season and was replaced by Keith Adams, who started the Super Bowl.

"Every year, you try to improve on certain areas," Dawkins said. "Whether it's being more consistent against the run - and as far as the secondary goes, it's a year up under our belts. We kind of know each other better - and you have to think, that was the first year we started together, and we had three cats go to the Pro Bowl. And frankly, Sheldon had that type of year, too." :evil :evil :evil

In addition to Dawkins, a 10-year veteran, Sheppard, Trotter, linebacker Ike Reese and safety Michael Lewis made the Pro Bowl.

"Having Dawk back there already forces you to step up your play," Lewis said. "I feel like this year, were going to be a nasty defense. We're going to be ranked higher - we're looking to be the No. 1 ranked defense."
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

rjs246

Is it gay that Brian Dawkins just gave me wood again?

To think that last year our new starters included, Shledon, Lito, Dhani and the Freak and that all of them will have to be more comfortable in the system (especially Dhani and Javon). Plus our only new starter this year will be Adams (and whoever fills in for McDougle) and those positions will be filled by people who have been in the system for years. I guess what I'm saying is that if they don't improve, something's wrong, but it's still good to hear them placing importance on it.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Cerevant

Quote from: rjs246 on August 05, 2005, 08:46:53 AM
It is a little disturbing that guys seem to be giving you more wood than women these days - maybe you should post Alba's ass again...

C
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

rjs246

Sorry, man. The season is almost upon us. Plus with all of the hockey nonsense going on little rjs is in a state of constant arousal... but since you mentioned it.

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

T_Section224

Quote from: rjs246 on August 05, 2005, 08:46:53 AM
no, i've got football wood too.

a nastier defense in philly, after what they've been putting on the field, yes, i've got wood.
Proud Sponsor of Mike Bartrum

MURP

good.  About time the D got a little nasty.   Maybe they need to put Runyan at DT.  ;)