Any chance Simon is a backup this season?

Started by MURP, August 04, 2005, 12:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

Who would bother asking about Simon when TO forgot to brush his teeth yesterday?! Now THAT'S news!
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: rjs246 on August 05, 2005, 08:01:10 AM
Who would bother asking about Simon when TO forgot to brush his teeth yesterday?! Now THAT'S news!

:-D
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

T_Section224

Proud Sponsor of Mike Bartrum

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Eaglez on August 05, 2005, 12:04:16 AM
With Patterson's play currently I don't think anyone really cares about Corey.

...Doesn't seem like anyone is asking about his contract situation.

It's generally accepted that Corey is simply a lazy bastich and wants to avoid training camp.  I'd assume he is so far out of shape at this point that the last thing he wants to do is SHOW UP, because that will certainly not help him get the big dollars.  Frankly, even knowing what I know about his talent and playmaking ability at times, I would rescind the franchise tag right now and give the money to Westbrook & Mike Lewis in the form of roster bonuses to assist in the extension of their contracts.  Mark my words, Corey will again have a slow start to the season, a solid middle, and taper off at the end and into the playoffs.  He's not worth the $5+ million IMO.

Team Patterson approved this message.

jeffreyjpa

I forget where I read it in the past week (maybe in the Inquirer "Eagles Notes" column), but Simon admitted as much. He knows he'll sign the contract, he's just skipping camp and will be in at some point after they get back to Novacare, probably two days before the last preseason game (Vs. the NYJs).

And, FF, you're exactly right...he's sitting on his ass, and will not be in anything resembling playing shape until November. Didinger said that fans underestimate Simon's value, but I've always felt he hit his high-water mark during his first two seasons. Appears they franchised him for one year to give them a season to groom his replacement (which looks to be Patterson at this point). I can't see them keeping him for 2006.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: jeffreyjpa on August 05, 2005, 08:27:56 AM
I forget where I read it in the past week (maybe in the Inquirer "Eagles Notes" column), but Simon admitted as much. He knows he'll sign the contract, he's just skipping camp and will be in at some point after they get back to Novacare, probably two days before the last preseason game (Vs. the NYJs).

And, FF, you're exactly right...he's sitting on his ass, and will not be in anything resembling playing shape until November. Didinger said that fans underestimate Simon's value, but I've always felt he hit his high-water mark during his first two seasons. Appears they franchised him for one year to give them a season to groom his replacement (which looks to be Patterson at this point). I can't see them keeping him for 2006.

I just think it's a shame to have to keep him for 2005, because you have money tied up in a guy that doesn't work hard to be here, and you have young playmakers that need new contracts.  It is disheartening how Simon's conditioning is so lacking, considering his ability.  But if Patterson proves during camp that he can be the first guy off the bench in a rotation, then you kick Corey's lazy ass out the farging door.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: jeffreyjpa on August 05, 2005, 08:27:56 AM

If Simon had gone to camp last year, OR had been in SHAPE when he got to the team...he might have proven himself worthy of a good contract. But the worst thing he could have done was to do what he did. Hold out, show up finally and be fat. The fact that he played like absolute shtein until November showed the FO that he wasnt' worth it.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PoopyfaceMcGee

Right, but the problem is that now he's doing the same exact thing, and we have 7 viable DT's (including him) fighting for a roster spot.  JJ said that he liked some things about Keyonta Marshall, but that he needed to get in shape a bit.  Well, at least he's IN CAMP, where he will be physically active.  The more I think about Simon stealing money, the more I get annoyed.  I'm going to go work out.  That will be 3 more times this week that I've worked out compared to Corey.

Mad-Lad

i just heard Eckel's report that the Bills are interested in trading for Corey Simon.  Sounds like he's here for the entire season, as we all expected.

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

rjs246

If we could actually trade his ass right now and get something of value for him, that would seriously kick ass. Walker, Rayburn, Patterson, Hollis and Walker at DT and an extra draft pick or two would be fine with me.

Oh yeah, and extra cash to sign our young studs. Word.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Mad-Lad

the problem is, the Bills would have to work out a contract extention with him.  too bad he wants a TON of moneys.

rjs246

Quote from: Mad-Lad on August 05, 2005, 09:10:37 AM
the problem is, the Bills would have to work out a contract extention with him.  too bad he wants a TON of moneys.

I have hope because its the Bills and their decision-making has never made much sense to me (drafting McGahee when they had a young, tough back, giving a playoff-caliber team over to a QB who has thrown five career passes, etc), but you're right, I think Simon is probably going to price himself out of a trade at the moment.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Seabiscuit36

how bout giving up 2 first rounders for Bledsoe?
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

rjs246

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on August 05, 2005, 09:18:31 AM
how bout giving up 2 first rounders for Bledsoe?

Another solid example. The more I think about it the more I would love for something to happen here. Not getting my hopes up but it would be rather awesome.

Let them eat bootstraps.