With the 15th pick in the 2012 NFL draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select....?

Started by SD, April 21, 2012, 08:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Regardless of if they trade up or down, who do the Eagles pick with their first selection?

Ryan Tannehill
0 (0%)
Morris Claiborne
0 (0%)
Quinten Coples
4 (22.2%)
Justin Blackmon
0 (0%)
Stephen Gilmore
1 (5.6%)
Fletcher Cox
6 (33.3%)
Michael Floyd
0 (0%)
Luke Kuechly
1 (5.6%)
Melvin Ingram
1 (5.6%)
Mark Barron
1 (5.6%)
Dontari Poe
0 (0%)
Courtney Upshaw
1 (5.6%)
Dre Kirkpatrick
1 (5.6%)
Riley Reiff
1 (5.6%)
David Decastro
0 (0%)
Kendall Wright
0 (0%)
Whitney Mercilus
0 (0%)
Michael Brockers
1 (5.6%)
Nick Perry
0 (0%)
Jerel Worthy
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 18

SD

Every year the draft comes and none of us have any clue who the Eagles are selecting. Pretty sure none of us speculated them taking Maclin/Graham/Watkins in the first round over the past 3 seasons. Every year I say to myself "I'll bet they take this guy" then they surprise us all by taking someone totally different. This year the hot name seems to be Fletcher Cox. While I do believe the Eagles have some interest in him, I don't know that he falls to 15. Maybe they ship a 3rd off and move up to grab him.

So go on record with who your pick is going to be and let's see if any of us nails it.

I'm thinking, like chuggie, that they like Cox. He fits their scheme well and seems like a logical selection. I just don't see him being there when they pick and I doubt they ship a 2nd to move up to get him...a 3rd would be reasonable but the question is does that move you up far enough to grab him. For some reason I see Coples falling out of the top 10...maybe it's character issues or whatever, but I see him being in the Eagles range and him being their pick. We all know the Eagles usually select smaller 'fastball' type players at DE, but they were interested in Peppers a few seasons ago, and Coples is comparable. With Graham being an unknown and the Eagles holding such high regard for the DE position I think Coples is their guy...especially considering they haven't really been linked to him.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

ice grillin you

SD

I wouldn't hate him at 15 although I think they can trade back and still get him

As far as Barron goes, I wouldn't have a problem with him being the pick at 15th. But when you have a weak draft class at a position and especially a position like Safety players go higher than they should. If this were a deeper draft then Barron would probably be a late 1st early 2nd, but because this draft is weak he'll probably go to Dallas at 14. If he slipped to the 20's I'd have no problem with the Eagles trading their early 2nd and 3rd to move up to grab him.

PhillyPhreak54

Want: Barron

Think they pick: Brockers

Darkhorse: trade up for Gilmore

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD on April 21, 2012, 12:40:25 PM
If this were a deeper draft then Barron would probably be a late 1st early 2nd,

lol...you keep saying this but almost universally barron is rated in the  top 15 prospects of the entire draft

if you think hes overrated i completely understand...everyone rates players differently....if you think he will drop because of need or some other factors i get that too

but you are insinuating that hes ranked like the 40th best player in the draft and is only going high because its a weak safety class....and that couldnt be further from the truth

SD

It makes perfect sense. In the draft world Safety's aren't as valuable as other positions like DT/DE/CB on defense. Historically teams find very good safety's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Taking a safety early is only a must if the guy is a can't miss prospect. Do you think he's a better prospect than Earl Thomas? I don't think he's even close and Thomas went 14 in 2010 which was the last good safety draft. Teams reach for needs when the middle rounds are scarce at a position of need. After Barron there's a huge drop in safety talent which makes him that much more valuable.

Rome

I don't know the name of the player they'll be drafting but I can say with almost perfect certainty that we'll all be frustrated and angry about the decision in 2 or 3 years.

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD on April 21, 2012, 02:33:07 PM
It makes perfect sense. In the draft world Safety's aren't as valuable as other positions like DT/DE/CB on defense. Historically teams find very good safety's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Taking a safety early is only a must if the guy is a can't miss prospect. Do you think he's a better prospect than Earl Thomas? I don't think he's even close and Thomas went 14 in 2010 which was the last good safety draft. Teams reach for needs when the middle rounds are scarce at a position of need. After Barron there's a huge drop in safety talent which makes him that much more valuable.

all thats legit...i thought you were saying he wasnt worthy of the 15th pick

all im saying is throw out the position the year and all the other factors that go into a pick...just as far as his rating hes a legit top 20 pick this year....its not like hes carrying a second round grade but might go top 15 because theres no safties....he is legitimately ranked in the top 20 overall prospects in the whole draft

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

Diomedes

Never ran one in my life.  I got people for that.  All I do is watch football.