Science 'n Shtein

Started by hbionic, August 23, 2011, 02:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Susquehanna Birder

I'm not sure what's worse - the townspeople afraid of the technology, or the company man's use of the word "toxical."

PhillyPhreak54

lol I missed that

Must be some southerner speak trying to sound smart

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

its always amazed me that of all the things that have ever been invented how can we not easily just take salt out of water
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Tomahawk

It is easy, but to do it on a massive scale costs too much for anybody to make any money off it so it's a terrible idea.

ice grillin you

my point is isnt shouldnt cost that much....there should be a machine to easily run it thru and take the damn salt out and pipeline it where you want it to go

Susquehanna Birder

Check out the documentary called Slingshot, available on Netflix.

Tomahawk

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on April 04, 2017, 09:12:58 AM

Added to the queue...thanks. Judging from the description somebody needs to tell Matt Damon about this so he quits relying on Stella and I to help us be remembered as the generation who solved the world's water crisis.

SD

Navy ships use desalinization units. They've been around for years.

Diomedes

I love Stella Artois.  Love.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

ice grillin you

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on April 04, 2017, 09:12:58 AM

just finished this....a lot like the warren buffett doc the man at the center of it is better than the documentary itself but it was still a good watch.....i just wish they had explained how the machine works

Susquehanna Birder

There was some description of it as being a distiller vs using a filteration system and/or reverse osmosis (what the Navy uses for desalination). Makes it faster and more compact.

A big problem, briefly described in the film, is that the target users don't know how to handle water in a sanitary fashion. Apparently there have been efforts to educate them, with very little positive results.

General_Failure

We Finally Know How Birds Can See Earth's Magnetic Field

QuoteWhile scientists have known for quite some time that birds can see Earth's magnetic field, it was unclear exactly how birds are able to visualize the magnetic field. Two recent studies from researchers at Lund University in Sweden and Carl von Ossietzky University Oldenburg in Germany discovered that the ability is a result of a special protein in bird's eyes. The two papers studied European robins and zebra finches and found evidence for an unusual eye protein called Cry4.

The Cry4 protein is part of a class of protein called a cryptochrome that is sensitive to blue light. Cryptochromes are found in both plants and animals and are responsible for circadian rhythms in various species. In the two bird species above, it appears that the presence of cryptochromes, specifically the Cry4 protein, is responsible for the ability of birds to visually detect Earth's magnetic field.

The ability to see Earth's magnetic field, known as magnetoreception, relies on the presence of specifically the blue wavelength of light. The complex process involves "radical" intermediate molecules which are sensitive to Earth's magnetic field. The Earth's magnetic field, as it relates to the direction the bird is facing, could alter the intermediate radical molecules differently, giving the bird a sense for where it is facing in relation to the Earth's magnetic field.

The man. The myth. The legend.