The Rest of the NHL

Started by BigEd76, August 01, 2005, 02:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabiscuit36

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/446583

QuoteRussian league eyes Malkin
KEITH SRAKOCIC/AP
Pittsburgh Penguins forward Evgeni Malkin had 47 goals and 52 assists during the 2007-08 NHL regular season.
Brand new rival league to NHL could make Penguins star highest paid hockey player in the world
Jun 20, 2008 06:46 AM
Rick Westhead
Sports business columnist

Several teams in Russia's revamped pro hockey league want to repatriate NHL all-star Evgeni Malkin by offering him a contract that would make him hockey's highest-paid player – by a wide margin.

In a move that would surely send a shock through the NHL, whose executives are gathered today in Ottawa for the amateur player draft, the Russian teams are poised to offer the Russian-born Pittsburgh Penguins forward a multi-year contract worth at least $12.5 million (all figures U.S.) tax free per season, said a source familiar with the matter.

The offer would be equivalent to at least a $15 million per year in the NHL, where players have to pay state (or provincial) and federal taxes.

By contrast, Washington Capitals star Alex Ovechkin is the top-paid player in the NHL at just under $9.6 million a season.

"Hey, we can afford to pay more than the NHL right now," a high-ranking executive with the Russian league told the Star this morning. "Our economy is commodities-based so we're not going through the same problems that you have in America."

The executive said a $12.5 million offer to Malkin "is not crazy" but conceded, "it's on the edge of crazy."

Malkin is one of the NHL's top young stars. This season, his second in the NHL, he scored 47 goals and added 59 assists in 82 games with the Penguins and was the runner-up to Ovechkin for the most valuable player trophy. The power forward was also an all-star and was paid a base salary of $984,200, a year after winning the NHL's rookie of the year award.

Malkin also has an endorsement contract with Canadian hockey company Bauer, which is negotiating a possible sponsorship agreement with the new Russian league, a source said.

If Malkin decided to return to Russia it would be a move reminiscent of Bobby Hull's defection from the NHL's Chicago Blackhawks in 1972 to the World Hockey Association's Winnipeg Jets. The Jets agreed to pay Hull $1 million over 10 years.

The new Russian league, known as the Continental Hockey League, has turned to the likes of former NHLPA executive director Bob Goodenow to develop a strategy for competing against the NHL. It's a rivalry that seems certain to turn nasty.

The Russian league executive confirmed teams have already started to offer contracts to some players who are already under contract to an NHL club.

And while the Russian league will use a salary cap to control player expenses, the salary of a player who quits an NHL contract to play in Russia won't count against their cap.

A Russian league official brushed off suggestions that the NHL would legally contest such contract offers.

"What happened with Malkin when he came to the NHL?" the official said.

After the Penguins drafted Malkin in 2004, he remained in Russia, where his club team argued he had an existing contract. After Malkin left for North America, his team unsuccessfully filed an antitrust lawsuit against the NHL, arguing he had an existing contract in Russia.

The new Russian league is scheduled to start its season Sept. 2.
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Wingspan

QuoteAnd while the Russian league will use a salary cap to control player expenses, the salary of a player who quits an NHL contract to play in Russia won't count against their cap.

That's actually an awesome idea.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

MDS

correction. i know that there is a blue line and niklos lindstrom plays defense for the detroit professional team.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

is there anyway that league can get ovechkin the hell out of dc
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD_Eagle5

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241222&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_nhl

QuoteIt appears as though the NHL buyout season has begun, leaving two underachieving goaltenders to look for new homes.

Goaltenders Ray Emery and Dan Cloutier have been put on waivers, the first step that must be taken to buy them out.
If not claimed by anyone, the the respective teams can then proceed with the buyout.

"We will see if anyone claims (Emery)," Sens' GM Bryan Murray. "If not, (enacting the buyout) is the plan. It's unfortunate. I am sure Ray will one day get his game turned around and get things in order and be a good goalie for someone

Emery's buyout marks the end of a tumultous era with the Ottawa Senators. At one time, Emery was considered the future for the Senators between the pipes. But a series of incidents this season, soured Emery's relationship with the team.

More to come.

QB Eagles

IIHF calls Malkin report unsubstantiated

Pittsburgh is freaking out at this Malkin news. Good god I hope it happens.

BigEd76

TSN says the Canadiens received permission to talk to Sundin

BigEd76

so Rome, what do the 3 hockey fans in Tampa think about the hiring of Melrose and Tocchet?

SD_Eagle5

Liles re-signed with the Avs

Ryan Malone and Gary Roberts were traded to the Lightning for a 4th round pick that becomes a 3rd if they're re-signed. Rumor has it a deal for Malone is in place.

BigEd76

Atlanta bought out Zhitnik, which makes that Coburn trade even better...

BigEd76

Edmonton traded Pitkanen to Carolina

(All ex-Philly players must be mocked)

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: BigEd76 on July 01, 2008, 12:55:04 PM

Joni eats boogers

Actually Edmonton got a good deal, to get Cole for a tard like Joni is a good job by them. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: BigEd76 on July 01, 2008, 12:55:04 PM

I can mock him in person.  And will.  Carolina fans will miss Cole.

BigEd76

Theodore from Colorado to Washington
Kolzig from Washington to Tampa Bay
Huet from Washington to Chicago
Lalime from Chicago to Buffalo
CuJo from Calgary back to Toronto

and PG's favorite Darcy Tucker heads to Colorado

and Brian Campbell to Chicago...8 years, $57M  :-D

rjs246

Jesus. Washed up goalies are so hot right now.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.