Phillies 2010 Season Thread

Started by SunMo, March 31, 2010, 06:45:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

The real team in Philadelphia starts it's season in 4 days.  The Phillies are coming off of 2 straight National League championships.  They are clearly the favorites to win the division again and are favorites for a third straight World Series appearance with the Cardinals and Rockies being their biggest challengers.

Key Additions:

• Roy Halladay - the gawd of the mound
  • Danys Baez - 7th/8th inning set up man and future closer after Lidge and Madson bomb out
  • Placido Polanco - immediately becomes biggest head on the team, also will hit second and play 3rd
  • Jose Contreras - long man and possible 5th starter

Key Depatures:

• Cliff Lee - he's hurt, he's unhappy, and he probably kills drifters on his off day, win Phillies
  • Pedro Feliz - great defense at 3rd will be missed, but his penchant for grounding into double plays and not getting big hits won't
  • Chan Ho Park - valuable out of the pen in long relief appearances and set up
Record last year:  93-69...Correctly predicted by...well, ME

Important storylines for this year:

• The bullpen - Lidge is already having trouble with his elbow, Romero is coming back off an injury, Madson shteins his pants every time he has to close a game and the Korean Sensation is gone.  Can Baez, Contreras, and basticho do what they need to do to keep the bullpen from ruining another season.
  • King Cole - will he be the pitcher we saw in 2008?  Pinpoint location, dazzling change up and determined intensity.  Or will we see the 2009 Cole?  Easily flustered, low velocity on the fastball, and overall bitchness.  His performance this year will directly impact the next storyline...
  • The Cliff Lee Factor - Yes, he's gone, and it will be argued for years whether it was the right move or not.  If Cole is a superstar again, it will ease, not end, the argument.  If Cole is awful, it will shine a hot spotlight on that decision and it's impact for 2010.
  • Polanco's defense - if he's average, it's a win for the Phillies.  He basically has to not be awful and the Polanco/Feliz tradeoff will be a big success.
  • Ibanez's production - he was incredible in the first half and awful in the 2nd half.  Can he be somewhere in the between for the whole year?  His health will be a huge factor in answering that question.  Something that would be more of a positive if he wasn't 203 years old.
  • HOF Brown - Not much for the big club in 2010, but it will be fun to follow his progress as he dominates the minors

Prediction for this year:  Cole coming back as the old Cole and Polanco's professional bat in the 2 hole make this team better.  97-65, win the division, 3rd straight World Series appearance.

and this always fun for review...

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

ice grillin you

despite people drooling all over him this spring i have seen nothing to indicate nicole will be back

bullpen is a complete train wreck

the odds scream that happ is going to have a rough year

i wanna see how choke comes back after that shipwreck world series

even if everything was rosie this spring winning three in a row is really hard

everything is not rosie

i still think they are the favorites but dont sleep on the braves as they could def win it...and i love them in my +3 bet with the lil guy

mets will be much better (couldnt be worse) that alone cuts into the phillies win totals

they win three games less than last year
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Unless there's a major catastrophe, back to back to back World Series appearance.

Rome

1. Phillies will win the East with a 97-65 record.

2. Phillies will beat the Dodgers again for the Pennant.

3. Phillies will beat the Red Sox for the World Series championship.

Jeff Lurie, in a fit of Bostonian rage, will refuse to open the Linc for the after-party parade.  Then kill Banner & himself in a fit of repressed homosexual rage.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Josh Fogg --> minor league deal --> World. Series.

Munson

I like Lurie, but if that means he takes Banner out too, then woo hoo! WFC 2010!
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

QB Eagles

Well done, sunny.

The bullpen is scary right now. I loved Park in that role he had at the end of last year. In 2010 I just don't see any names there that I trust with the game on the line.

I think the rest of the team can take care of itself.

MDS

they have a better team than last year and brad lidge had a 1000 era plus they have roy halladay

THEY ARE GOOD THEY WILL WIN IT WILL BE FUN
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyPhreak54

Good job, Sunshine.

Again I am scared about the bullpen. I was worried last year and Ho Chi ended up being a helluva pitcher in that role. I sincerely doubt that Contreras can duplicate what he did. I've never been a huge fan of his and I think he'll end up with a plus 4 ERA.

The 5th spot is what it is...Moyer/Kendrick/Carpenter/whoever, the race won't be decided by this spot's success or failures. It comes down to 2-4. Can Hamels, Blanton and Happ be solid?

Happ struggled and nibbles to goddamn much. Go after people more, please.

Hamels has to be 2008 Cole and not 2009 Nicole.

Heavy B has to be solid.

I love the Polanco acquisition. I love him in the 2-hole and Victorino in the 7-hole.

What's up with Ibanez? His spring numbers are atrocious. They read like an article in the Brownsville Herald. We may end up seeing a platoon out there and I'd be ok with that.

Is Werth going to have a big contract year?

With all of that being said....

1st place, back in the Series with a 92-70 record.

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyGirl on March 31, 2010, 09:39:23 PM
IGY is so predictable its sad.

why do you say that...do i always predict them to win the division?

all im saying is they will not run away with it...and while 99% of phillie fans would be shocked if they didnt win it i would be mildy suprised
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

last year:
1. rollins was terrible
2. ibanez was terrible for the 2nd half of the year
3. feliz
4. lidge was awful
5. hamels was awful
6. no halladay

imagine if those things change. if they stay the same THEY STILL ARE AWESOME.

bow down havas. enjoy you filthy animal.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

My favorite havas saying is how forgetful the 2008 Phillies team was unless they proved themselves in 2009. Just enjoy the ride already.

PoopyfaceMcGee