Phillies 2017 Thread

Started by MDS, April 02, 2017, 08:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

Quote from: MDS on June 30, 2017, 12:26:07 PM
the answer is zero because no scenario existed.

you said something categorically untrue
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Glad they called up Williams

I have confidence in Middleton. I am glad that they have him as the front guy for the owners.

ice grillin you

Quote from: SD on June 30, 2017, 11:56:41 AM
Quote from: ice grillin you on June 30, 2017, 11:04:51 AM
middleton is basically on record as saying he will spend whatever it takes

also their payroll for the better part of a decade has been MASSIVE so i have no idea where you get this narrative that they are cheap

Talk is cheap

For the better part of a decade they were practically printing money. Their payroll was massive because they were winning. They're one of the largest markets, and for a 5 year stretch were one of the top teams in the MLB in a city that was starving for a winner.

Their run ended roughly 7 years ago. They've signed nobody of relevance in that time. Meanwhile they signed a mega deal with Comcast.

Until they prove otherwise they're back to being cheap. I understand the plan of developing young players but so far that plan has amounted to 5 consecutive losing seasons in which at no point were they in contention for a playoff spot.

they won over a hundred games 6 years ago

things that are true:

1. it takes years to properly strip the existing roster down have before you even start a rebuild
2. they waited too long to start the rebuild
3. teams really dont spend money during a rebuild....those two things are counter intuitive
4. you can criticize them for the prospects that have come back in rebuild trades not having worked out
5. saying they are cheap thru this rebuild is a sports radio take
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on June 30, 2017, 01:36:12 PM
Glad they called up Williams

I have confidence in Middleton. I am glad that they have him as the front guy for the owners.

youre not gonna be glad when he gets sent back down in 3 days

middleton bought up shares once claire bentz and the other bucks started dying. he did it because he wants to win a world series more than life itself. middleton owns 48% of the team...2 remaining bucks own a bunch...the rest is small shares from whoever. basically middleton/bucks make the ownership calls and middleton is "the face."
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Yes I know the arrangement and I am glad he's the "owner". That group of not-give-a-fargs that had it forever sucked.

ice grillin you

please cut ben lively right farging  now

dont play around and try with a guy like this ...he can't miss a bat to save his life

excuse me while I throw this annoying met fan over the balcony

MDS

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on June 30, 2017, 06:34:04 PM
Yes I know the arrangement and I am glad he's the "owner". That group of not-give-a-fargs that had it forever sucked.

that group owned the team when they won the world series

PhillyPhreak54

MDS

how could an ownership group that won a title "suck"

Rome

QB Eagles

Marge Schott won a World Series. Art Modell won a Super Bowl (he gets no credit for what he did in the 60s with Paul Brown's players).

MDS

the silent partner owners just werent aggressive financially until they got into the bank. in the vet days they had bad teams and didnt attempt to make them any better. once they got a core and a revenue generating tax payer funded ballpark, they spent. that started in 2003 with thome.

if youre going to hold 25 year old grudges that claire bentz and john buck didnt give kevin brown a record breaking contract, go for it.

in reality they were what you wanted out of owners -- sign the checks and get out of the way. should their payroll have be bigger in 1999? SURE.

Geowhizzer

Kevin Brown could pitch, though.  Let's see Joe Cowley, Ken Howell and Omar Daal do that!

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on July 01, 2017, 12:19:42 PM
the silent partner owners just werent aggressive financially until they got into the bank. in the vet days they had bad teams and didnt attempt to make them any better. once they got a core and a revenue generating tax payer funded ballpark, they spent. that started in 2003 with thome.

if youre going to hold 25 year old grudges that claire bentz and john buck didnt give kevin brown a record breaking contract, go for it.

in reality they were what you wanted out of owners -- sign the checks and get out of the way. should their payroll have be bigger in 1999? SURE.

basically Norman Braman was cheap so the eagles will be too......foevah

MDS

Quote from: Geowhizzer on July 01, 2017, 12:31:41 PM
Kevin Brown could pitch, though.  Let's see Joe Cowley, Ken Howell and Omar Daal do that!

omar daal was actually acquired in the curt schilling trade!

just for a refresher, that trade was: nelson figueroa, daal, travis lee and liquor sweat vicente padilla for a borderline hall of fame pitcher at age 34. yikes.