2006-07 Flyers Season Thread

Started by BigEd76, October 05, 2006, 04:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

SunMo

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=6420

Sometime tomorrow morning, the Flyers are expected to announce they have agreed on a two-year contract with goalie Marty Biron worth approximately $6.8 million, according to my sources.

Agent Gilles Lupien told me this afternoon he was going to call general manager Paul Holmgren tonight to finish the deal.

The last time the Flyers entered a season where they had a clear cut, No. 1 goalie was 1999-00 when John Vanbiesbrouck was the designated starter under coach Roger Neilson.

"We're getting there and we could have some news for you by [Tuesday]," Lupien said. "For us, we want a shorter term. One year was too little. Five years was too long. We feel two years gives us some flexibility for Marty in future free agency."

Holmgren said he and Lupien are playing phone tag and he doesn't expect the deal to be done until Tuesday.

"We haven't talked today," Holmgren told me.

Biron met with Holmgren last week.

"When I talked to him, we talked about moving on trying to get this done," Holmgren said. "We want a guy to move forward with and [he's the guy.

"When we made deal to get him, we did it with the idea of keeping him. We like Marty. With Don Luce here, we had knowledge about his character and him as an individual and I think it has shown through. He's good in the locker room, on the bench and he's played well for us."

Marty seemed pretty content today at practice.

"We'll see what comes in the next few days but it's going in the right direction<" Biron said. "It looks like a good thing for both sides. It's not like one side is trying to take advantage of the other side. We've had nothing but positives.

"This is an organization that has shown over the years that it is going into the right direction. They make the playoffs 99 percent of the time the last 11-12 years ... Two years down the road are prime years for this group ... This is an exciting time. This team could be a team that goes from where we are this year to battling for something good next year."
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Rome

Biron now then Kimmo Timonen and Daniel Briere during free agency and this team is an Eastern Conference contender again in 2007-2008.

ice grillin you

Biron now then Kimmo Timonen and Daniel Briere during free agency and this team is an Eastern Conference contender again in 2007-2008

youre joking right

or do you mean a playoff contender?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

Is the team really that far from contending for the East in your eyes?

The ridiculous circumstances that caused the Flyers to implode this year were a freak occurance, IGY.  If they add the right pieces to the puzzle, they could definitely rise to the level of conference contender next year.

Look at the #8 seed and compare them to the #1 seed now.  Is there really that big a difference in terms of talent?

I'm telling you, if the Flyers do it right with free agency, they're right back in the hunt next year. 

ice grillin you

if EVERY young player they have accuired and EVERY young player already on their team develops into a bonafied nhl player then maybe they can challenge for a division...but even if they all turn out they still would be too young to challenge for the eastern conference championship

outside of gagne where are their top notch nhl players that you think can bring them to the stanley cup NEXT year...even a player like briere is on a great team...how do you know what he will do on a team like the flyers with limited talent

i think youre way overrating players they have and/or counting the young players as givens as far as developing

i like the direction they are taking but lets not go overboard here...them making the stanley cup next year is laughable

Rome

So adding the best defenseman and best forward(s) from free agency to this team won't turn them into a contender for the conference?

A team with a healthy Carter, Richards, Gagne, Knuble, Pitkanen, Umberger plus the new guys they've acquired plus Biron plus whatever top tier free free agents they bring in couldn't contend in the East?

If you say so, dude.

ice grillin you

A team with a healthy Carter, Richards, Gagne, Knuble, Pitkanen, Umberger plus the new guys they've acquired plus Biron plus whatever top tier free free agents they bring in couldn't contend in the East?

oooh scary

any team with joni pitkanen as their second defenseman is going nowhere near the stanley cup...hes been horrid this year...a good goal for them next year is to try and develop all the youngsters...enough so to make the playoffs and get some valuable experience for the kids

Rome

Whatever.  You see doom and gloom while I see promise.

There's nothing new there.  Not in the least.

ice grillin you

no
i see promise
you see the worst team in the league (by far) going to the stanley cup finals next year

Rome

Splitting hairs is definitely your lot in life, IGY.   :-D

If the Flyers make the playoffs next year, they are contenders for the Cup.  That's how it works.

BigEd76

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on March 26, 2007, 08:26:31 PMLook at the #8 seed and compare them to the #1 seed now.  Is there really that big a difference in terms of talent?

Yes.  Buffalo is a hell of a lot better than either New York team

ice grillin you

Splitting hairs is definitely your lot in life, IGY.   

splitting hairs WTF??....you said they could make the stanley cup finals next year...i said try to make the playoffs...that is not evn in the same ballpark as splitting hairs

If the Flyers make the playoffs next year, they are contenders for the Cup.  

lolol @ you accusing me of splitting hairs and then wirting this ridiculous comment

youre now in the all spin zone

Rome

Really?

The Rangers are 7-1-2 in their last 10 games, Ed. 

Buffalo is 4-4-2.

Meanwhile, the 9th position team in the West (Colorado) is 8-0-2 while the #1 seed (Nashville) is 4-3-3.

My point is over the entire season Buffalo & Nashville have been better but when the playoffs come any team at the bottom has just as much of a chance to advance as those on top.

Seabiscuit36

I'll chime in,

The flyers need a true #1 dman, also Joni actually needs less minutes, but he has improved over the past month.  They need a topline playmaking center such as Briere or Drury i prefer Briere.  They are at times the worst team in the league, but when Gagne and Upshall are in the lineup they are different.  I really love where this team is heading and with the right additions, they will have an opportunity to challenge the Eastern teams. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons