Started by BigEd76, August 01, 2005, 02:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffreyjpa

BigEd76

3-3, 10 mins left in the game

Geowhizzer

Quote from: BigEd76 on June 14, 2006, 10:29:20 PM
3-3, 10 mins left in the game

Edmonton survives to play another game with a shorthander in OT.

The BIGSTUD

I love an underdog. I hope the Oilers pull this series out. They never quit. They deserve to win for sure.

farg Carolina.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

Father Demon

This has been an exceptional series from a fan's perspective, well, except for Game 2.  That was a snoozfest.  But I am loving watching this series.

Go Oil!
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

MDS

2.7 rating last night. i think wrestling does better.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

phattymatty

Question:

I just found out that the Hershey Bears are now the Washington Capitals minor league team.  I used to go to a lot of those games when they were the Flyers minor league team.  Then when the Phantoms came around they becamse the Colorado minor league team, and I guess this year they are the Caps.

How does that work?  They just up and switch all of the players?  Just like that?

ice grillin you

pretty much...when a contract runs out and the team doesnt pick up the option to stay with a minor league city they just move to one that has an opening...the city then attempts to find another nhl team to take over

the flyers were in maine for a while as well
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Geowhizzer

Quote from: phattymatty on June 16, 2006, 09:53:31 AM
Question:

I just found out that the Hershey Bears are now the Washington Capitals minor league team.  I used to go to a lot of those games when they were the Flyers minor league team.  Then when the Phantoms came around they becamse the Colorado minor league team, and I guess this year they are the Caps.

How does that work?  They just up and switch all of the players?  Just like that?

PM,

For the minor league teams not owned by their NHL affiliate (like the Phantoms), there is usually a player development contract that lasts for a period of time, in which the NHL team will supply their "prospects" to the AHL affiliate.  Since the Bears are switching to the Capitals, they will now get the Caps' prospects instead of the Avs.

There MAY be a few players that were signed by the Bears themselves that may not switch.   There is also probably an ECHL team in that mix (think of the AHL as AAA, the ECHL as AA), and the AHL team may have some players bouncing between those teams as well.

It's somewhat similar, though not identical to, baseball's minor league system.  The Phils' AAA team will switch from Scranton to Ottawa next year.  All the Phils' AAA players will move to Ottawa, and the Red Barons will get the players from whatever team signs a development contract with them (could be the Orioles, who are losing the Ottawa team to the Phils).  In baseball, though, the major league team signs and assigns all the players.

PoopyfaceMcGee

The Braves are currently using Ottawa, and the Phillies are next year.

The Durham Bulls have been affiliated with various major league teams, as have the Trenton Thunder.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: FFatPatt on June 16, 2006, 10:02:38 AM

The Durham Bulls have been affiliated with various major league teams, as have the Trenton Thunder.

According the minorleaguebaseball.com, the Ottawa Lynx is affiliated with the Orioles.

Wingspan

Quote from: FFatPatt on June 16, 2006, 10:02:38 AM

BZZT wrong
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

ice grillin you

got this email from the caps two minutes ago...

Hershey Bears Win AHL's Calder Cup

Capitals prospects beat Milwaukee to claim minor league hockey's biggest prize

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The Hershey Bears, the American Hockey League (AHL) affiliate of the Washington Capitals, beat the Milwaukee Admirals, 5-1, Thursday night in Milwaukee to claim the Calder Cup as the AHL champions. The Bears won three games in a row to claim the best-of-seven series, 4-2.

Joey Tenute, Jakub Klepis, Brooks Laich, Colin Forbes and Kris Beech provided the Hershey goals in Game 6, giving the Bears their ninth Calder Cup. Those five were among 15 players on the Bears' roster who appeared in at least one Capitals game this season, led by Laich's 73 NHL games.

The Bears jumped to a 4-0 lead in Game 6, including three first-period goals. Hershey outscored Milwaukee 13-0 in the first period of its four victories in the series.

Goaltender Frederic Cassivi, who played one game for the Capitals this season, earned the Jack A. Butterfield Trophy as the most valuable player in the AHL playoffs with a 16-5 record, a 2.10 goals-against average and a .931 save percentage. Forward Tomas Fleischmann, who the Capitals acquired via trade from Detroit in March 2004, led the Bears in playoff scoring with 32 points (11 goals, 21 assists) in 20 games. Beech, acquired in March of this year from Nashville, led the team with 14 goals. Mike Green, who was drafted in 2004 with a selection acquired from Detroit (along with Fleischmann), led the team's defensemen with 18 points (3 goals, 15 assists) and had a plus-16 rating in 21 playoff games.

The Bears had 22 Capitals prospects on their roster, including Capitals' first-round picks from 2004 (Green and Jeff Schultz), 2003 (Eric Fehr), 2002 (Boyd Gordon) and 1999 (Beech).

The Calder Cup is the first for a Capitals AHL affiliate since 1994, when goaltender Olie Kolzig led the Portland Pirates to the Calder Cup. The Capitals – whose rookie left wing, Alex Ovechkin, is a finalist for the Calder Trophy as the NHL rookie of the year – could become the first organization to win a Calder Cup and a Calder Trophy in the same year since the Atlanta Thrashers in 2002.

Capitals season tickets and partial plans are available by calling 202-266-CAPS. Plan holders can also take advantage of the Caps PowerPay option – monthly payments with no fees or charges. Visit www.WashingtonCaps.com for additional ordering and ticket information.

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

BigEd76

Colin Forbes....another ex-Flyer wins something

PoopyfaceMcGee

Whatever.  Braves, O's... what's the difference?