The Rest of the NHL

Started by BigEd76, August 01, 2005, 02:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 07, 2006, 01:36:56 PM
the problem was they had not a single other taker...oln was chosen strictly because they had programming available...they dont even pay for the games

i was reading yesterday that game one got lower ratings than the xfl

espn offered, but probably for less money. oln was for the most money and nhl probably spun themselves into thinking being tied in with comcast would be somehow beneficial. the nbc ratings are about on par with what abc had been getting, maybe a tiny bit lower. but nothing to the extent that oln has vs. what espn got. less than 1 million people watching the cup finals? thats just atroscious and rally embarassing. the sport is really dead.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SunMo

the ratings may be bad, but they exceeded their projections in revenue.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

espn offered, but probably for less money

it couldnt have been for less money because oln isnt paying for it

oln gave the airtime in exchange for the games...there was no money exchanged
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

that's NBC your thinking of... OLN most certainly paid for it

ice grillin you

i believe comcast paid a fee to get it on its cable system so to promote oln...but oln as a network did not pay as nbc or espn would have in order to make money off advertising and turn a profit

it basically was a minimal amount about 50 million??...also the nhl actually gets a piece of the ad revenue

in essence no one paid for anything...comcast got the package to promote oln and the nhl got airtime for its sport
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

Unless a team in a major northeastern market is playing in the Finals, no one is going to give a shtein about the NHL at this point.

Seriously... the NHL Governors probably had to have all the steak knives in the executive dining room hidden after Edmonton & Carolina reached the Finals.

Just disasterous for the NHL but that's what you get for having professional teams in tiny markets.

PS: LOLOL @ SunMo's new screen name.  That's great, man.   :-D

PoopyfaceMcGee

SunMo

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 07, 2006, 02:01:40 PM
i believe comcast paid a fee to get it on its cable system so to promote oln...but oln as a network did not pay as nbc or espn would have in order to make money off advertising and turn a profit

it basically was a minimal amount about 50 million??...also the nhl actually gets a piece of the ad revenue

in essence no one paid for anything...comcast got the package to promote oln and the nhl got airtime for its sport

NBC and the NHL's deal is strictly revenue sharing.  any monies made through sold advertising or what not are divided between the two.

thanks rome

Wingspan

Quote from: SunMoTzu on June 07, 2006, 01:51:00 PM
the ratings may be bad, but they exceeded their projections in revenue.

$1
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Wingspan

Quote from: SunMoTzu on June 07, 2006, 02:05:03 PM
monies

i hate the word monies.

and i get to hear it every friggin day working in the financial industry.

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

SunMo

i've always liked that word, i so rarely get to use it in a sentence.

phattymatty

gimme my monies, bitch.

that is fun, i don't ever get to say it either.

Phanatic

Devil is in the details...

The three-year, $207.5 million NHL contract has a clause under which the league will be paid $15 million if OLN signs another major sports property, according to a league official, a sort of bonus for helping OLN along in its metamorphosis.

There's also a penalty clause if OLN does not make a sizable jump in its distribution, currently in 64 million out of 90 million U.S. cable homes

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.feature&featureId=1694

OLN President Gavin Harvey predicted OLN's hockey ratings eventually will be "comparable" to ESPN's, a 0.47 during the last NHL season

:-D
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Diomedes on June 07, 2006, 01:42:13 PM
Hockey hasn't mattered since no one remembers when. It's dead. Good riddance.

Wrong thread.  Ass.

Father Demon

Well, Game 2 didn't live up to the standard Game 1 set.  Roloson's injury really effed them up.  I still think Canes in 5.  Although I want my boy Pronger to hoist the Cup.
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.