The Rest of the NHL

Started by BigEd76, August 01, 2005, 02:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

A physical team sport that requires actual phycial ability and stamina? Why watch that when you can watch juiced up lardasses spit and scratch and jog? Hooray for baseball.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Wingspan

Quote from: MDS on October 07, 2005, 11:57:42 AM
People still don't care about hockey:

QuoteThe Outdoor Life Network has privacy to work out the kinks in its NHL coverage. OLN NHL coverage made its debut Tuesday and drew 0.4% of U.S. cable households — a lower rating than ESPN, which had the NHL since 1992, ever got for its opening nights. In Los Angeles and Seattle, the rating was a sublime 0.0. But excluding Tour de France shows, the NHL produced OLN's most-watched Wednesday night. ...

people didnt care about hockey before the lockout

no one talked about it during the lockout

seems to be status quo.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

ice grillin you

with the shootout now in effect can anyone explain to me why teams still get a point for an overtime loss...i didnt like it before and now theres even less reason for it
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

BigEd76

MDS

Quote from: rjs246 on October 07, 2005, 12:04:41 PM
A physical team sport that requires actual phycial ability and stamina? Why watch that when you can watch juiced up lardasses spit and scratch and jog? Hooray for baseball.

wah wah wah wah
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Dillen

I was watching Sharks at Blackhawks..there were atleast 10 fights. Matt Barnaby got knocked the FARG out by Scott Thornton. Barnaby was about to fight Scott Hannan, then Thornton turns him around and BOOM MUTHAFARGER. Later Barnaby challenged someone else to a fight and Thornton got off the bench and backed the kid up and Barnaby just skated away..

PhillyGirl

I hate barnbaby.

PS...Pens looking good.  :-D
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

ice grillin you

I was watching Sharks at Blackhawks..there were atleast 10 fights. Matt Barnaby got knocked the FARG out by Scott Thornton. Barnaby was about to fight Scott Hannan, then Thornton turns him around and BOOM MUTHAFARGER. Later Barnaby challenged someone else to a fight and Thornton got off the bench and backed the kid up and Barnaby just skated away..

shtein...i was just watching this game and turned it to the stinking yankee game

first 19 games of the season there were three fights...and i tuned into the hawks game when it 5-1 thinking maybe something would happen...it was dead...so went to baseball...farg me

MDS

QuoteOutdoor Life Network's second NHL game — Penguins vs. Sabres on Monday — drew 0.3% of its 64 million households. Excluding Tour de France coverage, that gave OLN its most-watched Monday night, and a 200% increase on what OLN got in the time slot last year. But OLN's game drew 180,000 households — fewer than ESPN, in covering the NHL since 1992, got on a prime-time NHL game. ...

OLN is happy, i guess.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyGirl

For your hypocritical coach/player of the decade comments, read here

I saw the hit, it was disgusting. BUT....Quinn whines and cries ALL OF THE TIME and defends his players when they do the same (Tucker).
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Rome

QuoteUpdated: Oct. 22, 2005, 9:44 AM ET
Lindros fulfilling his destiny as a Leaf

By Scott Burnside

We'll never know, of course, what might have happened if Eric Lindros had landed in Toronto back in March 2001.

Would the Big E have carried home the team's first Stanley Cup since 1967?

So far, Leaf Nation has been happy to see the No. 88 jersey in Toronto.

Would there have been a second MVP award?

A career-ending concussion?

Perhaps a torturous soap opera pitting Lindros against captain Mats Sundin for control of the Leafs' dressing room?

Given the dynamics of that time, perhaps all of the above. Still, it's all just water-cooler fodder signifying nothing.

What is indisputable, undeniable, is that in another time, another space, Lindros finally has fulfilled what many consider his destiny: becoming a Maple Leaf. And against a backdrop of modest expectations, not to mention a modest salary, he has quickly become a dominant player and a team leader.

"No, I'm not surprised at all," said linemate and workout pal Tie Domi, who has known Lindros since both were teens playing in the Ontario Hockey League. "I was pretty confident in him before he even got here, and when he was here, I knew that he would excel under the pressure.

"And all the things that people say about him, and over his whole career, I know that none of that was true because I know him as a person and he's a great guy and he's a great team guy. And he's well-liked in this dressing room. And so all those people that have criticized him and tried to peg him always as something or something or another, they can do all they want."

" Who doesn't want to win? I wouldn't have signed in Toronto unless I knew what things were about, and I feel comfortable in Toronto. I really do. "
  — Eric Lindros

It is an illustration of how dramatically the perception of Lindros' value has changed that, when he was signed late in the offseason, it created only a minor ripple in Leaf Nation.

The overriding feeling was that he was an acceptable risk at $1.55 million for a single season.

Back in March 2001, Philadelphia GM Bob Clarke agreed to send Lindros, then one of the highest-paid players in the league, to Toronto for Nik Antropov, Danny Markov and a draft pick or two. The prospect sent Leaf Nation into a frenzy. Blue and white Lindros No. 88 jerseys magically appeared in stores, and call-in shows lit up with excited discussion of a Leafs juggernaut.

But Clarke was jerking Leafs coach Pat Quinn's chain, no doubt enjoying the simmering media stew he was creating for his old friend in Toronto. The trade never happened, and ultimately, Lindros went on to New York, where he played well on a bad team.

By the time Lindros arrived in Toronto this summer, fans were more concerned that the Leafs had an aging goalie with a bad back and no cap room to bring in the bevy of stars on the open market. Lindros and Jason Allison, who hadn't played since January 2003 with a variety of injuries, merely illustrated the sad position the team was in.

Many prognosticators and fans believed the team would be lucky to make the playoffs.

But early in this campaign, the Leafs once again have shown a knack for resiliency, and that resiliency has been carried largely on the shoulders of Lindros and, more recently, Allison.

In the absence of Sundin, who took a puck to the face before he registered his first shot on goal, Lindros has defied detractors by exhibiting the kind of play that made him a Hart Trophy winner in 1995 and the captain of Canada's Olympic team in 1998.

After Lindros scored a crucial goal in the Leafs' 4-2 victory over the Flyers last week, Ken Hitchcock -- his former coach --said he was surprised that Lindros had become such a dominant force so early in the season.

He has seven points in six games and leads all Toronto forwards with 20:12 of ice time per game. He has been a stalwart on the power play and has turned what looked to be a checking line with Domi and Chad Kilger into an offensive unit and generally has been considered the team's best player night in and night out.

"Ah. I don't know about that. I don't really get into that," Lindros said in a recent interview. "We go out as a group of 20 and hit the plane as a group of 23, and whatever 20 is in the next night, you go with that. I don't really look too deep into that. Everyone wants to go out and do their part."

For a player who seems to have been at odds with the hockey gods much of his career, never quite fulfilling the wondrous expectations so many had for him, laid low by concussions and involved in bitter, personal squabbles with Flyers management that cost him a year of playing time, perhaps Lindros has found just the right karma in Toronto now.

"You come in and it's a different stage of my career," Lindros said. "Mats is our captain, our leader, he's our horse. I come in and do my job, whatever needs to be done. Whatever needs to be done, you've got a responsibility."

Quinn agrees that perhaps this situation is much better than if Lindros had arrived here back in 2001.

"That's a possibility. Toronto is the greatest place to play, but there's a lot of pressure involved with it," Quinn said. "Not every athlete wants to play there. You're under the scope every day. And I know the fans in Toronto pretty much love their players and they excuse a lot of things. So, I think Eric's in a good spot right now and I think he'll do very well.

"Yeah, I've been quite pleased with how he's approached his play. It's better than my expectation at the start," the veteran coach added. "Part of it might be because Mats is away, but I think all that's done is increase [Lindros'] focus or others' focus on him, to watch how he's playing and he's just concentrating on being a solid player. & He clearly has determined to set some goals for himself to be the player he has been and he's doing everything he can to get back to his level of play."

Always at or near the center of attention his whole career, Lindros seems remarkably at ease with the media crush that follows the Leafs and fuels the incessant discussion of the team's fortunes or misfortunes.

"People want to win. Hockey's a big thing back home, and people want to win. They want you doing well," Lindros said.

But is he comfortable with all of that, being the hometown star, the big man on the only team in town?

"Who doesn't want to win?" Lindros replied. "I wouldn't have signed in Toronto unless I knew what things were about, and I feel comfortable in Toronto. I really do."

Being a loser, it's Erica's destiny to play on a losing team.  That much I'll agree with.

Other than that, all I have left to add after reading that drivel is this:   :puke

MDS

hes probably happy to play in toronto so he can live back at home with mommy and daddy

CanuckBroncofan

MDS

honestly. hungry hungry hippos posting in the nhl thread. how sad is that?

ice grillin you