Anyone seen a good movie lately?

Started by henchmanUK, December 09, 2004, 11:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

some golden globe takes

-glenn close speech was amazing
-oh and sandberg were not great but they tried and got a few decent lines in. whatever.
-bohemian rhapsody winning for best drama is the golden globesiest moment in history. just an awful movie and ridiculous choice by a bunch of old foreigners.
-halle
-hit on rami malek to win best actor...too many philly things went right for b coop to win
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

bad times at the el royale - another tarantino knock off that was actually really good for the first 3/4 of it...then it went haywire just because the director thought it would be cool and edgy to do so...but it didnt work...unbelievably dumb storyline added where one of the hemsworth brothers is a cult leader...it just so bad...still this is absolutely worth seeing for the first hour and a half

7/10

love, gilda - nicely done documentary using the comedians extensive writings to tell her life story...some really awesome im assuming never or rarely seen before old pictures and video of other famous comedians working and hanging out with her...it was really dope seeing super young murray chevy akroyd with belushi and radner....the amount of talent that was working together even before snl was staggering...altho i did learn a bunch of stiuff about her as i wasnt overly familiar with her story i still had a hard time connecting with her and there was nothing earth shattering but still a solid watch

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on August 02, 2018, 09:53:03 PM
Eighth grade - a perfect movie with one of the greatest acting performances I've ever seen..cant really get into why it's so great without droppin spoilers but just go see this...now

10/10

Saw this is on Prime and remembered this post. Don't know if it's because I'm a single dad raising a daughter by myself or because I can relate to the girl when in comes to social anxiety but really well done movie.

ice grillin you

Quote from: AO1 on January 16, 2019, 08:39:41 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on August 02, 2018, 09:53:03 PM
Eighth grade - a perfect movie with one of the greatest acting performances I've ever seen..cant really get into why it's so great without droppin spoilers but just go see this...now

10/10

Saw this is on Prime and remembered this post. Don't know if it's because I'm a single dad raising a daughter by myself or because I can relate to the girl when in comes to social anxiety but really well done movie.

the scene in the car is excruciating and amazing all at the same time.....shes soooooooo good

SD

Which car scene are you referring to? There were a few. Gonna sound corny but I could feel her anxiety when she went to the pool party.

MDS

the quiet place - horror movies are not my thing (im too smart for them) but this was pretty well done all in all. for the first time ever i didnt think of john krasinksi as jim from the office, mostly because he didnt talk. however i have zero idea why these 2 people were so careful to never make noise yet they had a replacement kid when their youngest one was eaten by the monster. uhhhh think about that one again. 3/5

beautiful boy - overtly sappy schlock. steve carell couldnt escape his inner michael scott. timmy chillamay was very good but i never really cared about him being a junkie. his girl late in the movie was the little girl from season 2 of justified. they bang in the shower. its weird. if you want to laugh at steve carell doing his I DECLARE...BANKRUPTCY yelling voice in supposedly intense scenes, see this. otherwise 1.5/5

fyre festival doc (hulu) - one of the better docs of the year. just an amazing story of the worst kinds of people in the universe. the kind of doc that could go on for hours and youd never get tired of the details and the stories. most interesting stuff was everything surrounding the festival itself, not just the day of it. cant wait for the netflix one. 5/5

support the girls - regina hall is outrageously good but the movie itself never really comes together. the actors around here cant really handle the material or get to her level, the film is fairly low budget, which comes out in the cinematography and production design. the story is a little too small and never really grabs you. you root for hall's character but that's about it. worth a watch for her alone. 3/5
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Quote from: AO1 on January 17, 2019, 09:30:25 AM
Which car scene are you referring to? There were a few. Gonna sound corny but I could feel her anxiety when she went to the pool party.

when dook tries to bang her and yeah the pool party was painful too

phattymatty

The Hate U Give was fantastic.  best movie I've seen this year.

MDS

fyre doc (netflix) - i liked the hulu one more, possibly because i saw it first, but could do another 100 of these. this one had more weight to it in that it focused a few of the bahmanians that were unwittingly screwed by this con. its one thing for some dumb silicon valley invester to lose $ to it, its another for some random guy from the bahamas who was told to day labor and never saw a dime. 4/5

eighth grade - saw it over the summer but wanted to do a rewatch since i thought this was the film of the year. my sentiments were confirmed. 5/5

3 identical strangers - just an unbelievable story that has to be seen and explained to be believed. and boy this is not a good look for the jews. presented really well. usually re-enacments in docs are awful but they fit the narrative here. highest of recommendations because this story is just insane and you should know about it. 4/5

Munson

Glass-This was...messy. But also still decently entertaining. Just not as good as Unbreakable or Split overall.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SD

Quote from: MDS on January 21, 2019, 10:12:21 PM
fyre doc (netflix) - i liked the hulu one more, possibly because i saw it first, but could do another 100 of these. this one had more weight to it in that it focused a few of the bahmanians that were unwittingly screwed by this con. its one thing for some dumb silicon valley invester to lose $ to it, its another for some random guy from the bahamas who was told to day labor and never saw a dime. 4/5

Only watched the Netflix one but plan on checking out the Hulu one tomorrow. My sentiments exactly with the locals who were screwed. They should have made McFarland spend his prison sentence on the island. It's farged up people spent thousands of dollars on the event but 99% of them are douchy pretentious hipster millennials who follow Kendall Jenner and social media influencers. You couldn't pay me enough to attend something like that.

Caught the Hulu version today. They're both good, the Hulu version with him in the room and his lying excuses makes you want to pound his stupid face in. The Netflix one I felt focused more on the festival disaster which I wanted to see more of.

[spoiler]6 years doesn't seem like a long enough sentence especially considering the fraudulent bullshtein he did while out on bail [/spoiler]

MDS

a star is born +700 to win best picture feels too good to be true

MDS

rbg - fairly straight forward doc that plays like an extended 60 minutes piece. well produced, they got interviews with her family, clinton, scalia's satanic spawn, footage of her at the opera, etc. just really nothing there other than the fawning over this amazing heroic woman who deserves all the fawning and praise in the universe. as a doc, though, meh. 2.5/5

minding the gap - really interesting to see how white trash begets white trash and how poverty is passed down from one generation to the next. unfocused in the sense that theres tons skateboarding footage then about 45 minutes in its about domestic violence, substance abuse and alcoholism. basically this little gook took home views of his friends for years and they pieced together the best 90 minutes of it to make some semblance of narrative sense. its emotional at times and impressive in scope but too muddled and sporadically paced to ever fully come together. 2/5

tully - a really interesting movie about postpartum depression with a really strong charlize theron performance is ruined by a stupid, nonsensical and unnecessary last 10 minute twist. just completely destroyed the movie. this isnt the 6th sense. why are you trying to trick your audience? try again, diablo cody. 3.5/5 for the first 80 minutes than a 0/5 for the last 10.

ice grillin you

bundy lost tapes (or whatever its called) -  i love serial killer shtein so ill watch and enjoy all of it but if you are any kind of bundy officianado there was nothing really new here especially with the tapes which were supposed to be the breaking news part of this as they ahd never been heard before....i thing that i didnt fully realize was just how brazen bundy got after a while and really was so addicted to murdering young women that he was doing shtein like a double daylight kidnapping on the same day at the same location...if you know little about bundy except for maybe his name and tht he was a erial killr then i think this would be great

3.5/5

three identical strangers - horribly boring and annoying after the first five minutes...fast forwarded thru much it

1/5

the rider - fantastic charcter study based on a true story that explores the uncomfortable depths of family and machismo in the american west...so personal at times i forgot i was watching a movie and not a documentary...on the short list for best movies of 2018

8/10

ice grillin you

gravity - wasn't exactly great with Clooney but once Clooney goes so does the whole movie.....its painfully boring if beautifully shot for cgi...I basically skipped thru the last half of the movie just to see the end

4/10

first man - did a space travel DH....wish id seen this in the theater....even at home the sound was fantastic...cool story that was much more about grief and loss than exploration...learned some stuff and was mildly entertained but you can see how this did not meet expectations.

6/10

pick of the litter - pretty cool documentary that follows five puppies from birth thru graduation (or not) to be a guide dog for the blind.

6/10

54 - studio 54 documentary that has one of the former co onwers on record for the first time as well as many of the other players involved.....fantastic phtoos and video of 70's new York....just a really great job overall

7.5/10

whitney - I have a low bar for biopics but this is probably the best biopic documentary I have ever seen....super forthright subjects with incredible back stage and home video footage and an excruciatingly sad tale of a terrible life that gave so much joy to others while debilitating the individual...also at least for me it had minimum two holy shtein i didnt know that about whitney moments....I didn't want it to end

9/10

searching - gimmicky at times but takes you on a pretty satisfying who dun it with the back drop the dangers of todays digital footprint...pretty cool concept as well as I don't think there was a single shot in the movie that wasn't thru the lens of a camera or at the internet

7/10

can you ever forgive me - if there is a better acting performance male or female last year then I don't know what it is.....man is Melissa mcarthy farging great...its also a great true story of lee isreal who forged letter in the name of great literary figures and then sold them...movie has great dark dry humor too to the point of it being pretty hilarious thruout

8.5/10