18 Game Schedule

Started by Sgt PSN, September 01, 2010, 10:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the NFL expand the season to 18 games?

Yes
5 (41.7%)
No
11 (91.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: September 08, 2010, 10:05:12 PM

Sgt PSN

SD

I hate the thought of an 18 game schedule. The league already has enough problems with injuries. Not to mention there's a big divide between the good and bad teams. Aside from the owners greed I don't see how it benefits the players or the fans.

What I can't understand is why they don't have a developmental/minor leagues. Every year players on the bubble get cut and a bunch of college players go undrafted. What better way to do away with the stupid 53 man roster than to have a league of players you're able to call up if an injury occurs. Not to mention, demand for NFL tickets is insane leaving a lot of fans without the opportunity to watch pro ball, so having a minor league would give these fans a chance to watch some real football. The NFL could make a killing on this. I know college football would hate the competition but boo freakin hoo. Have the games through the week so it doesn't interfere (too much) with College saturdays.

Diomedes

No.

Just cut two games out of preseason and move on.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

as a season ticket holder its not a yes or no question for me

18 is too many games....it also means more overseas games which is a horrific thing

at the same time i think its awesome now that i will only have to pay for one preseason game
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

nice poll, i picked both options.

but yes, 18 games would be great.

more football = more gooder.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

ha!  Looks like I forgot to limit the number of answers you can select. 

rjs246

The Oh-shtein-I'm-getting-old-and-read-too-much side of me says that it's an awful idea. More players will get seriously injured making the games less interesting and further farging up the lives of athletes that already face some serious bullshtein post-retirement.

The other side of me says this:

Quote from: SunMo on September 02, 2010, 08:23:40 AM
more football = more gooder.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Diomedes

I think more games would mean the end of the season would become like a second pre-season.  Instead of two meaningless games before the playoffs, the dominant teams might face four.  F that.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Diomedes on September 02, 2010, 09:27:30 AM
I think more games would mean the end of the season would become like a second pre-season.  Instead of two meaningless games before the playoffs, the dominant teams might face four.  F that.

This is one thing that I really haven't heard anywhere else and is a good point. 

ice grillin you

other than injuries that is the only other reason that i have heard to not expand it

tho you can also flip it the other way and say that a longer season allows teams to stay in it because more teams with bad starts can rebound as you will have more chances to get back in it

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 02, 2010, 10:10:45 AM
other than injuries that is the only other reason that i have heard to not expand it

I really haven't kept my ears close to the ground on this one.....or much of anything in the sports world over the last 2 weeks other than the Phils.  I catch the last 20 minutes of Mike and Mike and the first 20 minutes of Cowherd so it didn't come up during those 40 minutes, I haven't heard it. 

Sgt PSN

When are they looking at adding the games?  2 on the front end, 2 on the back or start a week earlier and end a week later?  If they were to add the extra games, which I'm not in favor of, I would definitely prefer the latter.  Don't really want football starting up around mid-August and don't want the Super Bowl at the end of Feb or beginning of March. 

SunMo

they will not start before labor day

the playoffs going through February would be awesome.  February is a terrible sports month and if the NFL playoffs would take it up and run you right to March Madness it's great.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

they havent said but i cant imagine them playing any games in the summer and we know they hate labor day...id say 99% they add two weeks on at the end

PoopyfaceMcGee

The more I read about this, the more I think it's an awful idea:

-It adds strain to the pending lockout situation, because the players hate the idea.
-Removing pre-season games could be done simply by, well, REMOVING PRE-SEASON GAMES.  Go ahead and increase ticket prices if you think the market will bear it, since each team would have one fewer home pre-season game.  But you know the owners would raise them anyway if they moved two games from the pre-season to the real season.
-There are already too many meaningless games as is.  More games will dilute the product and make every regular season game mean slightly less, along with creating even more end-of-season games that mean nothing.
-The NFL is the most popular pro sport by far.  Why mess with a winning formula?