Us Crazy Canadians...

Started by 4and26, September 05, 2007, 10:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4and26

Only in Canada.....we're crazy fans too....

"We had nothing to do with this....honest!" ;) ;) ;)

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/story.html?id=ec35e937-b331-46d1-9e9c-b8e236149b82&k=13343

Holstein cow continues its incredible journey

Stefan Schussler
The Leader-Post

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

CREDIT: Bryan Schlosser, Leader-Post
This lawn ornament has had an incredible journey.

A 600-pound Holstein cow lawn ornament that went missing from the yard of an east Regina home in June is the latest victim of the Roughrider-mania that has swept the city.

The cow has been painted Saskatchewan Roughriders green, complete with "Go, Riders, Go" written on its side in silver paint.

The cow ornament has earned near-legendary status as it has been spotted around the city, including right outside Mosaic Stadium on Sunday during the Labour Day Classic game against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

"People have come by to tell me they saw it," Laverne Verbrugge, from whose yard the cow was stolen, said Tuesday.

Verbrugge's daughter, Cindy Gross, was on the way to her mother's home on Monday morning when she spotted the cow in all its green glory sitting in a yard only a few blocks from Verbrugge's house. Gross took Verbrugge to see the cow, which she recognized as hers immediately because of its right hind leg and left ear which, according to Verbrugge, had been previously broken by vandals.

"I had no idea that it had been stolen," said Derek Fredrickson, who occupies the home where Gross found the ornament.

According to Fredrickson, he and some friends had spotted the cow at Mosaic Stadium the day of the game.

"It didn't seem to belong to anybody. We just ended up loading this super-heavy cow into the back of my truck," said Fredrickson, adding, "I thought people would like to see it."

A gift to Verbrugge from Gross, the cow had been a fixture in the neighbourhood for the last two years.

"People would stop just to look at her; many would stop to ask where we got it. This cow brought joy to this neighbourhood," Gross wrote in a letter to the Leader-Post shortly after the bovine statue disappeared.

"I knew it was going to happen eventually, people loved that cow," said Verbrugge, who grew up on a dairy farm near Vibank.

Verbrugge said the cow was very prominent in the neighbourhood.

"My son has told me that he has overheard people plotting a cow-napping in the past," said Verbrugge, though she doesn't believe that there is necessarily a connection.

Gross was in utter disbelief when she heard her mother's favourite ornament was missing.

"It weighed 600 pounds," said Gross. "How could they take it in the first place?"

According to Verbrugge, there were wheel marks on her lawn the morning she discovered the cow was gone, which she believes may have come from a dolly that was used to move the cow.

Verbrugge had mixed feelings when she saw the now-green Holstein.

"I was happy to see it, but I wasn't happy to see the colour," said Verbrugge, who noted that while she is a Roughriders fan, she liked the cow the way it was before it was taken.

Verbrugge said she would like to see the cow restored to its original colours and returned to her.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

Cerevant

Even funnier a read when you realize that in Canada, Regina rhymes with vagina
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

Zanshin

Quote from: Cerevant on September 05, 2007, 11:05:40 PM

lol...that's the first thing I thought of when I read it, too.

ice grillin you

todd fedoruk and stu grimson are two of the many nhl regina pat alumni
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

CanadianEaglesFan

Quote from: Zanshin on September 06, 2007, 08:39:14 AM
Quote from: Cerevant on September 05, 2007, 11:05:40 PM

lol...that's the first thing I thought of when I read it, too.

Mick Jagger called it the city that rhymes with 'FUN'!
"The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong."

"The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth of the hole!"

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

CanadianEaglesFan

Not lurking.....

Strong, silent observer! :D
"The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong."

"The only difference between a rut and a grave is the depth of the hole!"

Cerevant

This seemed as good a place as any to post this:

The US dollar is now essentially at parity with the Canadian dollar:  $1 USD = $1.00022 CAD

[As I typed, the value crossed over - The CAD is now worth more than the USD for the first time since 1976]
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

rjs246

Jesus christ. That's farging awful.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Sgt PSN

Cerevant

Thanks to MMH for inadvertently reminding me of this...

I went to a little bar for lunch the other day.  The walls were covered in your usual sports pseudo-memorabilia (all hockey of course): signed photos, artsy stylized prints, beer company collectables...

As I looked around, featured prominently on one wall was one of those really bad stylized paintings of the Hanson brothers (Slap Shot) in the locker room taping up their hands with wads of tinfoil between the knuckles.  The caption, "Putting on the foil". 

Of course, it was signed.  Only in Canada.

MadMarchHare

Awesome!  Can you buy that for me?  How much was it?
Anyone but Reid.

Cerevant

I don't think it was for sale.  Damn thing was a 24"x36" print. 

Seek, and ye shall find...

Cerevant

My son has officially gone native...

It started with playing hockey in the kitchen.  No big deal, hockey is fun...

Then he started pronouncing "house" like "moose".  That got a raised eyebrow from me and my wife

Now he will spontaneously start belting out "Oh Canada, we stand uh are, oh, EEEEEE!"