Home Improvements

Started by Wingspan, October 29, 2007, 02:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mussa

yea im aware of the air flow issue. there was never an issue with airflow before here. it was always dry as hell, plenty of air flow. so your saying we don't need insulation in the floor boards then on the unfinished part? i made a crude illustration. basically behind the finished wall...in that area where the beams are exposed...

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Cerevant

That's fine, as long as the vertical wall to the finished room is also insulated.  There should be an unbroken insulation & vapor barrier between "cold" and "warm" zones.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

mussa

yes the wall and ceiling will be insulated. going to have a good 4-5 inches of air space between the roof and the insulation and at the very peak, a good ft of open area.  :yay
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Sgt PSN

The toilet in my spare bath is leaking around the base and needs to be pulled out to fix the problem.  There's a maintanence guy in there right now working on it while I'm at work.  It's costing me nothing to fix and I'm not even involved in the process.  I heart apartment living.   

mussa

yea until you realize the money you put into rent went down the shteinter. oh wait, thats OUR money going down the shteinter. nevermind...

Sgt PSN

Each one has it's pros and cons.  Home ownership is great if you're going to own it long enough to build up some equity and appreciate in value.  The house I bought and subsequently sold when I lived in NC for 2.5 years only appreciated in value enough to cover all of the money I put into it while living there.  So when I sold it, I basically broke even.  But that's just matching dollar for dollar on money that I put into the place, not including the amount of time I spent doing the actual work.  This is the first time I've rented in 10+ years and it's a nice break from the added work that comes with owning.  I'd love to own my place right now but since I have no idea how long I'm going to be here, it's just too much work without enough payoff. 

mussa

right on

finished insulating the attic today. next is running new electric upstairs and then installing the fixtures and sockets.

Yeti

I am up to the point of doing the flooring in our cabin.  After pricing flooring I decided to harvest some 100 year old yellow birch and take it to the mill.  .20 cents a board foot + .5 to plan both sides.  Yellow birch flooring goes for 3.50 sf. 

I'm paying about .50 sf and will be laying down only core sections.

Having my own forest is sweet.
"It's only a matter of time before we get to the future."

Hbionic

methdeez

Quote from: mussa on November 19, 2007, 11:18:04 AM
yea until you realize the money you put into rent went down the shteinter. oh wait, thats OUR money going down the shteinter. nevermind...
An what do you think happens with mortgage interest, property tax, home insurance, broker fees, etc.?

Sgt PSN

Quote from: methdeez on November 19, 2007, 04:41:01 PM
Quote from: mussa on November 19, 2007, 11:18:04 AM
An what do you think happens with mortgage interest, property tax, home insurance, broker fees, etc.?

Good point.  But in a lot of cases, renting is like throwing money away.  It simply depends on what you're getting for the money.  If you're just renting someone's house from them and still have to maintain the yard and all that, then yeah, you're probably wasting your money.  But if you find a place with some amenities to it, then it can be well worth the money.   

When I owned my home, my mortgage was a very affordable $550/month.  And this was a brand new, 4br, 2ba home w/2000 sqft on a half acre lot.  Not too shabby.  But I had to pay for everything.....

Utilties/Water/Garbage
Insurance
Repairs/Improvements
Yard maintanence (mowing the yard, weeding, grass feed, edging, etc...not to mention buying a lawn mower and the gas to operate it.)

In my apartment, my rent is $1100/mo.  It's not as big as the house was, but it's still nice.  3 br/2ba/1400 sqft.  And here's what I get that I don't have to pay anymore:

Water/Garbage
Repairs/Improvements
Yard Maintenance

I still pay my electric but the cost of that has dropped significantly.  I was around $200/month in NC and I've been averaging about $90 a month now.  And here's what I get that I didn't have at my house:

Private garage
Swimming pool
Hot tub
Club house with free continental breakfast every day and a chef who cooks full breakfast every Sat.
Weight room
Sauna/tanning bed/massage therapist (very nice, but no happy endings)
Valet dry cleaning
Pet sitting service
Discounted rates at approx 50 local shops and resturants
Free postage (yes, I can literally take a 10lb shtein, stuff it in a box and mail it to any one of you fargers for free!)

I'm sure there's a few other amenities that I have that I'm not mentioning but it's probably because I don't use them.  I know there's a major discount on day care for kids available so I'll probably check on that next summer when my kids vist. 

But seriously, with all of the amenities that I get from this place, if I had to pay out of pocket for everything I'd probably be spending a lot more than what I pay in rent.  I get a massage once a week for christ's sake for farging free (plus tip).  I drop my dirty uniforms off at the front desk and the next day they come back clean and freshly pressed.  I want to take off for the weekend and I don't have to worry about finding someone to watch my dog or pay to kennel him.  I just leave him at home and directions on how to care for him with the front desk. 

Renting's the shtein, son!

mussa

yea sounds like you have it made. not worth it to buy unless you plan on staying for awhile or are aware that the house will increase in very little time. which isn't always an easy thing to predict.

Diomedes

no happy endings? 

you're getting raped, you dumb jarhead farg
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Father Demon

Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 19, 2007, 06:52:35 PM

Free postage (yes, I can literally take a 10lb shtein, stuff it in a box and mail it to any one of you fargers for free!)

I double dog dare you to do exactly that to Hector.
The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Sgt PSN

After I signed my lease, I asked them for a box, a bag, a roll of packing tape and direction to the nearest bathroom and did just that. 

Wingspan

Quote from: Wingspan on November 10, 2007, 08:38:26 PM
So according to them, the job will be done before thanksgiving and in one day...and cost a total of $3500

So 5 mexicans just left my house, and now I have new floors.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.