Around the NFL - 2016

Started by Sgt PSN, February 18, 2016, 12:08:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Guys with three HOF-quality seasons don't belong in the HOF.  The Hall of Fame should be reserved for the best of the best and although Davis had (1) spectacular season and (2) great ones, that's not enough in my opinion.

But hey, opinions vary.

ice grillin you

i actually agree i just think its preposterous to think that elway made him...they won those sb's because of him not the qb
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Rome on February 05, 2017, 03:28:34 PM
Guys with three HOF-quality seasons don't belong in the HOF.  The Hall of Fame should be reserved for the best of the best and although Davis had (1) spectacular season and (2) great ones, that's not enough in my opinion.

But hey, opinions vary.

So what's your opinion on Warner getting in? 

MDS

Quote from: Rome on February 05, 2017, 03:28:34 PM

But hey, opinions vary.

this is a reasoned take but all halls of fame have totally unworthy players in it. the nfl especially. how many guards or safeties from the 1960s and 1970s are in that are probably garbage...drawing the line at td is silly
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Diomedes

Garbage?  Jesus Christ,. man.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Eagles_Legendz

Obviously TD, and Warner to a lesser extent, are testaments to abbrieviated but elite apexes.

What separates them though from someone like Priest Holmes - who also had an incredible 3.5 year stretch before injuries ended his career - is elite playoff performance.  TD's playoff numbers are insane.  Warner obviously had great playoff success as well.  This is why someone like Holmes isn't even in the conversation but whose regular season numbers are arguably as good as TDs in a similar window.  It's also probably a subtle reason why Dawkins didn't make it.  Other than Favre gift wrapping an INT that I could've caught in the 4th and 26 game, Dawk never really did much in the playoffs (at least that I can recall). 

Great player, great Eagle, but if he had 2-3 elite playoff runs he's in today.

ice grillin you

dawks not a HOFer

except this is the NFL and like the lil guy said their HOF is a complete joke
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

QB Eagles

It's a popularity contest. He got more votes than TO, who didn't even finish in the top 10.

MDS

the voting is done by former players, media types and execs. the only let 5 people in per year. its a very silly process.

i think dawk gets in but it might take him a decade or he might have to get in via the veteran vote in like 20 years.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

MDS

2 options for the opener next year

A: atl@ne
B: kc@ne

heavy odds are on a rematch. if fox successfully lobbied to keep the game, theyll take KC.

QB Eagles

Quote from: MDS on February 06, 2017, 05:03:29 PM
i think dawk gets in but it might take him a decade or he might have to get in via the veteran vote in like 20 years.

Actually think he has a better than 50% chance of making it next year. He was already in the top 10 and there's a decent case that he was the best one not picked in that top 10 group. Kind of a weak ballot this year.

In 2018, Ray Lewis is a lock and I think Urlacher has a decent shot although the presence of another far better LB might be enough to delay his induction. Randy Moss is another strong first timer but I don't see how they can put him in right away after what they've done to TO who has a lot of similarities on and off the field.

I think they'll want to put a safety in before Ed Reed hits in 2019, and Dawkins was significantly better than Lynch by any measure other than number of Super Bowl wins and whiteness.

MDS

isnt there a mediocre punter, maybe morten andersen's brother, who needs to get in?

QB Eagles

I do hope it's Lewis, TO, Moss, and Dawk next year because that would be an insane class from a personality perspective and a wild atmosphere for Eagle fans. Replace Moss with Urlacher and it's still crazy.

MDS

i wouldnt put anything past them but moss is a lock