07/08 Phillies Offseason Thread

Started by MDS, October 07, 2007, 01:02:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

get over the sweep you losers, lets guess which mediocre pitcher will get 10 million a year from old man gillick
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

MDS

Free agents

Starting pitchers
Tony Armas (30) - $5MM mutual option for '08
Kris Benson (33) - $7.5MM club option for '08
Paul Byrd (37) - $8MM club option for '08
Shawn Chacon (30)
Roger Clemens (46)
Matt Clement (33)
Bartolo Colon (35)
Josh Fogg (31)
Casey Fossum (30)
Freddy Garcia (32)
Tom Glavine (42)
Livan Hernandez (33)*
Jason Jennings (29)
Joe Kennedy (29)
Byung-Hyun Kim (29)
Brian Lawrence (32)
Jon Lieber (38)
Kyle Lohse (29)
Rodrigo Lopez (32)
Greg Maddux (42) - $8.75MM player option or $11MM club option for '08
Eric Milton (32)
Tomo Ohka (32)
Russ Ortiz (34)
Odalis Perez (31) - $9MM club option for '08
Andy Pettitte (36) - $16MM player option for '08
Joel Pineiro (29)
Kenny Rogers (43)
Curt Schilling (41)
Carlos Silva (29)
Julian Tavarez (35) - $3.85MM club option for '08
John Thomson (34)
Brett Tomko (35) - $4.5MM mutual option for '08
Steve Trachsel (37) - $4.75MM club option for '08
Koji Uehara (33)
Jeff Weaver (31)
David Wells (45)
Kip Wells (31)
Randy Wolf (31) - $9MM club option for '08
Jamey Wright (34)
Jaret Wright (32)

Closers
Armando Benitez (35)
Joe Borowski (37) - $4MM club option for '08
Francisco Cordero (33)
Octavio Dotel (32) - $5.5MM mutual option for '08
Eric Gagne (32)
Todd Jones (40)
Al Reyes (37) - $1MM club option for '08
Mariano Rivera (38)
Bob Wickman (39)

Middle relievers
Jeremy Affeldt (29)
Antonio Alfonseca (36)
LaTroy Hawkins (35)
Jorge Julio (29)
Joe Kennedy (29)
Scott Linebrink (31)
Troy Percival (39)
David Riske (31) - $2.85MM club option for '08
Russ Springer (39)
Julian Tavarez (35) - $3.85MM club option for '08
Mike Timlin (42)
Luis Vizcaino (31)
Kerry Wood (31)

Center fielders
Milton Bradley (30)
Mike Cameron (35)
Darin Erstad (34) - $3.5MM club option for '08
Torii Hunter (32)
Andruw Jones (31)
Kenny Lofton (41)
Corey Patterson (28)
Aaron Rowand (30)

Right fielders
Bobby Abreu (34) - $16MM club option for '08
Milton Bradley (30)
Kosuke fargudome (31)
Shawn Green (35) - $10MM club option for '08
Jose Guillen (32) - $9MM club option for '08
Geoff Jenkins (33) - $9MM club option for '08
Trot Nixon (34)
Reggie Sanders (40)

Third basemen
Pedro Feliz (33)
Mike Lamb (32)
Mike Lowell (34)
Alex Rodriguez (32) - Has ability to opt out of contract after season

1. ARod is too expensive, a Hoyda, a choke artists and a vagina. No. No. No. Don't even think about it.
2. I would farging love for that lunatic Milton Bradley to be here. He's out of his mind but really good. Might not be healthy, but whatever. Do it.
3. Ain't much to pick from a 3B. Either overpay for Lowell or hope for Dobbs to be good again. Yuck.
4. No, Phreak. No Torri Hunter.
5. Schilling. Yes.
6. Trade for Willis, none of the pitchers are worth it.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Don Ho

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

The BIGSTUD

I saw the future and we get A Rod.

and I'm not kidding.
Calling it right on the $ since day one.
Just pointing laughing, and living it up while watching the Miami Heat stink it up.

SunMo

you also said the phillies would win 2 in colorado...
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

1.  Is Moyer going to be back next year?  He's older than dirt but still reliable and as he showed last night, not scurred of the postseason.  I don't recall when his contract is up and I didn't see his name on the FA list so I'm guessing that he's locked up for next year.  But he could decide to retire.   

2.  Does Myers get thrown back into the starting rotation or do they keep him at closer?  The closers available are either old or unimpressive, perhaps with the exception of Cordero. 

3.  I know 3rd base is supposed to be a production position offensively but I really wouldn't mind if Nunez were this team's starting 3rd baseman.  He's sound defensively and I think that with the Phils having so much offense generated from the rest of the infield that they shouldn't be really need constant production from Nunez like many teams rely on from their 3rd bagger. 

4.  The pen actually came on pretty strong down the stretch.  Obviously Romero is a keeper even though he had a tough night last night and gave up the gw run.  Geary and Condry are a little too "hit or miss" for my liking.  If Kerry Wood is content to remain in the pen in order to extend his career then I wouldn't mind seeing the Phils take a run at him.  Jeremy Affedlt is a guy who was getting beat up in KC for a while but has pretty good stuff.  He'd be another decent lefty to come in and face left handed batters. 

5.  Rowand choked big time in the playoffs this year but they should still bring him back.  Unless they have plans of going after Torri Hunter or Andruw Jones. 

6.  I'm not overly impressed by any of the right fielders available.  And I like Victorino.  He's fast as hell and has a cannon for an arm. 

7.  Trish really pissed me off in the playoffs.  I thought he put together a pretty solid year overall but he went back to doing all the little things I hate against Colorado.  Especially swinging at the first pitch last night when the 2 batters before him drew walks. 

8.  I thought that if the Phils made the postseason I could overlook Howard's strikeouts.  I can't.  Dude really needs to cut down on them.  He also needs to know that when you've got 2 strikes against you in the 9th inning and your team is down that you need to swing at anything even remotely close to the plate rather than relying on the ump to make a favorable call for you.  If you don't like the pitch, just foul it off and make the pitcher throw another one.  Keep doing it until he walks you or makes a mistake. 

Rome

Quote from: SunMo on October 07, 2007, 09:13:55 AM

He meant next season, obviously.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Jerome99RIP on October 07, 2007, 01:00:31 PM
Quote from: SunMo on October 07, 2007, 09:13:55 AM

He meant next season, obviously.

Yep.  He predicts the future about as well as you draft quarterbacks. 

MDS

3B is definitely a concern. Dobbs is nothing special, Helms is trash, Nunez is not even a little league player. I know he's a solid defensive player, but having a black hole at the end of your lineup of Ruiz, Nunez and Pitcher will be detrimental to the team. He hit under .200 in every month except May. He is farging brutal.

Lowell has had a OPS over .800 every year except his oddly horrible 2005. He is hitting a healthy .355 with a 1.0552 OPS at Citty Bank though. So this could work, despite the fact that he's 34 and would get paid a ridiculous amount of money.

You could find a number of people to play RF. Hell, if Lowell is signed, a Bourn/Werth platoon could work. Bourn will show everyone that he's trash and Werth will perform fairly well exclusively against LHP. But if he's healthy, I'd want Bradley. This town will love him.

Pitching wise, I'd keep Myers as a closer. Set up with Gordon and Romero. And let's not forget, Madson comes back and so does Matheison. That's a solid top 5 right there. Round out the pen with a lefty (not Zagurski) and a long man (Condrey? Durbin?).

Rotation is already 3/5's set. Hamels, Kendrick, Eaton. Yes Eaton is farging horrible but he has two guaranteed years left and no one wants him. So there's nothing the Phillies can do but put him at 5th starter and hope he's better. His career numbers indicate he's not this bad, so chances are, he'll be better next year. But who knows.  The last two spots go to one big name and one average guy. Think Willis and Lohse, something like that. Schilling would be fun because he's be on a short contract and could bail after 2008 so Carrasco or someone could take over. Lohse would need a multi year deal. Also Gramps could come back, though I'd say no. On the whole, he's was mediocre this year.

ice grillin you

so nunez is a black hole but bourn in a platoon will work

i get it
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

if they get lowell to offset his lack of talent, yes. bourn will get .260ish against rhp. nunez might not him over the mendoza line if he plays every day. plus bourn can at least create something if he gets on base, he stays out of double plays, etc.

ice grillin you

nunez will never ever be a fulltime player...so to talk about what he will or wont do is retarded
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

the little guy's hatred of Bourn is quite hilarious.  he has shown he can play at every level, so to say he suddenly can't do it on this level is farging retarded.

MDS

eric valent and reggie taylor also showed they could play on every level. great.

look, i just dont think bourn is gonna be anything special. i could be wrong, and will eat crow if so. but depending on what else is done, the phils can survive with him and werth platooning in rf.

SunMo

the free agent pitching available sucks...i would pay Rowand to play center and use Victorino or Bourn in a trade for a pitcher and put the other you don't trade in right field

and i would pay Lowell to play 3rd