2007 Flyers Offseason Thread

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, April 10, 2007, 06:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabiscuit36

QuotePaper: Desjardins no fan of Pitkanen
E-MAIL Print Comment 0 

Posted: October 2, 2007
Canadian Press

MONTREAL (CP) -- Retired defenseman Eric Desjardins likes every offseason move made by Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren, especially dealing Joni Pitkanen to Edmonton.

Desjardins, a former Flyers captain, lauded Holmgren in his weekly column in Montreal La Presse on Tuesday.

"He made courageous decisions, but he came out looking good because he was prepared and he knew his team inside out," said Desjardins.

Those decisions included the complex trade of Peter Forsberg to Nashville, which ended up with defenseman Timmo Kimmonen and forwards Scott Hartnell and Scottie Upshall moving to the Flyers.

"The other courageous move was trading young defenseman Joni Pitkanen to the Oilers," he said. "He has all the talent in the world, he's strong as a horse and he's as powerful a skater as Al Iafrate was, but he is also very immature.

"As I said, Holmgren knows his people and he knew the guys couldn't put up with Pitkanen any more. They tried to give him support, but the youngster can't accept criticism and is very hard-headed. Even his (Finnish) compatriot Sami Kapanen had trouble with him and asked me to deal with it because he couldn't do it any more."

Desjardins called the Flyers "the most improved club in the NHL by far" and said he may have reconsidered his decision to retire before last season if Holmgren had been GM at the time instead of Bob Clarke.

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

dis12

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on October 03, 2007, 08:36:46 AM
QuotePaper: Desjardins no fan of Pitkanen
E-MAIL Print Comment 0 

Posted: October 2, 2007
Canadian Press

MONTREAL (CP) -- Retired defenseman Eric Desjardins likes every offseason move made by Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren, especially dealing Joni Pitkanen to Edmonton.

Desjardins, a former Flyers captain, lauded Holmgren in his weekly column in Montreal La Presse on Tuesday.

"He made courageous decisions, but he came out looking good because he was prepared and he knew his team inside out," said Desjardins.

Those decisions included the complex trade of Peter Forsberg to Nashville, which ended up with defenseman Timmo Kimmonen and forwards Scott Hartnell and Scottie Upshall moving to the Flyers.

"The other courageous move was trading young defenseman Joni Pitkanen to the Oilers," he said. "He has all the talent in the world, he's strong as a horse and he's as powerful a skater as Al Iafrate was, but he is also very immature.

"As I said, Holmgren knows his people and he knew the guys couldn't put up with Pitkanen any more. They tried to give him support, but the youngster can't accept criticism and is very hard-headed. Even his (Finnish) compatriot Sami Kapanen had trouble with him and asked me to deal with it because he couldn't do it any more."

Desjardins called the Flyers "the most improved club in the NHL by far" and said he may have reconsidered his decision to retire before last season if Holmgren had been GM at the time instead of Bob Clarke.

I had no idea he was such a headcase.  I just though he had no balls.
C6 at the WAC

*** SPD ***

SunMo

Randy Jones just crushed Patrice Bergeron and now they're taking him off on a stretcher
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

on the nhl package the boston tv announcers are killing the flyer guys saying word got back to us that the flyer announcers tried to defend the hit

jack edwards from espn is the bruins pbp guy
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous