The Wire

Started by ice grillin you, May 01, 2007, 02:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

Cursing itself doesn't bother me. When one scene that's 4 or 5 minutes long only uses farg from both the people in it, that's not good writing. It's lazy and pandering.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Rome

Series & miniseries produced by HBO:

Dramas:

* The Sopranos
    * Big Love
    * Six Feet Under
    * Oz
    * The Wire
    * Carnivàle
    * Deadwood
    * The Hitchhiker
    * Tales from the Crypt
    * Band of Brothers (produced in collaboration with the BBC)
    * Rome (produced in collaboration with the BBC)
    * From the Earth to the Moon (Miniseries)

Comedies:

* Sex and the City
    * Curb Your Enthusiasm
    * Tracey Takes On...
    * Entourage
    * The Larry Sanders Show
    * Mr. Show
    * Da Ali G Show
    * Extras (produced in collaboration with the BBC)
    * Arli$$
    * Fraggle Rock
    * Dream On
    * First and Ten

The ones in bold I likely saw nearly every episode.  The rest I either rarely saw or flat-out thought they sucked.  As for IGY's love for The Wire, I don't get it and never have.  It's a good show, I suppose, but I personally don't enjoy it.

BTW: I think Band of Brothers was one of the finest series (or miniseries) ever produced.  I have the box set and I still routinely watch it.  Everything in it is top notch.  Acting, directing, writing... it's all excellent.

General_Failure

You forgot Perversions of Science.

Rome

I got that list from wikipedia.

I also omitted x-rated sex series from the list since this is a PG rated message board. 

General_Failure

But those are the best ones! And Dream On was practically all sex all the time.

Rome

LOL - wasn't it though?  He got more tail than anyone in prime time history including a pre-JAG Catherine Bell.

ice grillin you

i have from the earth to the moon on dvd...its great

As for IGY's love for The Wire, I don't get it and never have.  It's a good show, I suppose, but I personally don't enjoy it.

if you watched it from the start youre the only person ive ever heard from that has watched more than a couple episodes that didnt completely love it
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

Just not my thing, IGY. 

Oz was a good show too but the violence and language wore me down after a while.  I get sick of shows pretty easily for the most part.

phattymatty

but the wire actually doesn't really have that much violence.  yeah you'll have a show where a people people get killed but it's more about the characters than anything.

MDS

the point of this thread was for everyone to bask in the glory of the wire, not say its not that good or that they dont watch it.

you all can go to hell.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

phattymatty

commissioner was on svu tonight.  i swear everyone on the wire had been in an episode before.

MDS

yea it hit me in his last scene.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Seabiscuit36

If they havent been on SVU, then they've been on one of the CSI's or other Law and Orders, and then on Without A Trace and Cold Case. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Rome

Quote from: MDS on May 01, 2007, 11:10:20 PM
the point of this thread was for everyone to bask in the glory of the wire, not say its not that good or that they dont watch it.

you all can go to hell.

The point of you is to kill yourself.  Shut up.

Seabiscuit36

The Wire is the best show on TV period, no matter what aversions anyone has towards MDS/IGY if you sit down and watch you cant help but be captivated by the show.  Heck its my dads favorite show and he's going on 50
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons