Best/Worst liked Dog Breeds

Started by hbionic, July 12, 2007, 07:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

Great Danes, any short-haired Mastiffs, Rotties, and Boxers are the only pure breeds I would ever own. Big ass mutts rule.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

mussa

RJS, ever hear of a Cane Corso? They are in the Mastiff's family. They look like an over grown pitbull. Easily the scariest looking dog on the planet. The Romans used them in war and armored them back in the day. I saw one in philly one time and it stared right into my soul and almost mad me whimper

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

rjs246

Let them eat bootstraps.

mussa

they are and very expensive. great guard dogs and apparently very protective of children. when i have a big enough house and kids i don't feel like protecting, im going to get one.
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Susquehanna Birder

Big dogs are pretty cool, but feeding them (and cleaning up after them) isn't. I do like the goldens, though. My neighbor had a couple, and they are super nice dogs.

I prefer something that isn't going to drool and drip snot all over the place. After that, it just has to have a very good temper.

The pug I have now is pretty cool. Yeah, he's not a big dog...but he things he is. At least he's not a little snivelling ankle biter like a yorkie or toy poodle. The best thing about him is what FF said. He's a couch potato, and loves to hang with me...but he'll activate and horse around on a moment's notice. The only real down side is all the damned shedding.

Geowhizzer

When I was very young (mid-1970s), my mom had a dachsund.  That little weiner dog would pick fights will all the dogs of the neighborhood- the shepherds, the great dane, all the big dogs.  Finally, when I was about 6 or 7, he finally got caught and torn up by one of the big dogs.  My mom paid hundreds to get him fixed up.

Less than three weeks later, my dad runs him over in the driveway.  :-\

For a little dog, he had a lot of guts.

It was after that we got the husky and lab.

Zanshin

Like so many things, hairless is the way to go.

rjs246

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on July 13, 2007, 11:59:10 AM
Big dogs are pretty cool, but feeding them (and cleaning up after them) isn't.

I've actually found that mid-sized dogs tend to be smellier than big short-haired dogs. But whatever, if you buy a 150 pound dog you pretty much know that you're going to be cleaning up 7 pound piles of shtein. And who wouldn't like to dig their plastic-bagged fingers into a big old pile of dog plop?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Wingspan

Just get a dog that likes to eat their own poop.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Dillen

Quote from: ice grillin you on July 13, 2007, 08:21:47 AM
the best: i would never get anything but a black lab
I just get labs. My first dog was a black lab, next was a lab mix, now we have a yellow lab and chocolate lab. Chocolate labs are ridiculously hard to train...everyone I know that has had one said the same too.

Wingspan

I used to like labs...and I still do...but I don't think i would ever own another for the simple fact that they are a total pain in the ass for about 2 years, and as Dillen said...very hard to train, and very high maintenence overall.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

rjs246

Quote from: Wingspan on July 13, 2007, 12:24:10 PM
I used to like labs...and I still do...but I don't think i would ever own another for the simple fact that they are a total pain in the ass for about 2 years, and as Dillen said...very hard to train, and very high maintenence overall.

Bingo.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Seabiscuit36

Goldens are very similar, my dog can be a complete ass or a saint.  Friends of ours have a Chocolate Lab who's 3 years old, she has not slowed down one bit as a normal dog would.  Our golden is still 1 1/2 but he's definitely gotten better over the past 8 months, and half the time its my fault that he's so hyper(we need to walk him more)
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

mussa

my dad has a lab, real hyper for first 2-4 yrs. they just need to retrieve, its inside them. if they just lay inside all day, of course they are going to shred your house and act bad. they have a job to do, so you have to run them. you def have to have a lot of time and patience, for any dog really.

Dillen

I don't understand it. My yellow lab is 6 years old and was bad for like 3 months, and is one of the nicest dogs you will                                     ever see. My chocolate lab turns a year old July 31st and he still tears up anything when he's alone, but lately it's luckily been down to just tearing apart toilet paper rolls. He's been a lot worse, but still a pain in the ass.