2008 Phillies Spring Training Thread

Started by Wingspan, February 14, 2008, 12:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on March 16, 2008, 07:21:46 PM
youre a negative nancy.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 13, 2008, 08:19:50 AM
sixers are probably the best team to watch in all of sports right now...how gutty can you get...it starts with the gawd mo cheeks...a friggin philly legend...

btw willie is gonna be a mini microwave in this league...super valuable on a championship team...which should happen in the next 3-5 years for this team

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD_Eagle5

The bums are playing Cleveland on CSN right now, Chad Durbin's on the mound. Utley hit a shot to right that got knocked down by the wind...wound up being a triple.

ice grillin you

when does kendrick get raked again...seems like he hasnt pitched in two weeks

PoopyfaceMcGee

He's due for a random solid outing to make the Kendrick lovers declare victory, actually.

Wingspan

Quote from: FastFreddie on March 17, 2008, 02:30:52 PM
He's due for a random solid outing to make the Kendrick lovers declare victory, actually.

He had 16 random solid outtings to his typical 4 games of crap last season.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

SD_Eagle5

Link

QuoteMailbag: Kendrick's spring a concern?
Beat reporter Ken Mandel answers Phillies fans' questions
By Ken Mandel / MLB.com 

In three Grapefruit League starts, Kyle Kendrick is 0-2 with a 16.43 ERA. (Miles Kennedy/Phillies)
Phillies Headlines
Is there any cause for concern with how Kyle Kendrick has pitched this spring? Is it a case of tweaking and fine-tuning some of his pitches, or have opponents figured him out?
-- Ron A., Jacksonville, Fla.
Kendrick arrived in camp with a goal of developing a changeup and wasn't throwing as many of his sinkers as a result. Many pitchers work on specific things in Spring Training, and they can get hit when a batter knows it's coming. Also, a pitcher might throw, say a changeup, in a count where he might throw a different pitch, because that's the day's focus. Kendrick's next three outings are more important than the previous three, because he'll be using his full repertoire and be more focused on getting outs.

Also, to address the number of questions about whether Kendrick should worry about his spot in the Phillies rotation, here's what manager Charlie Manuel said on the topic earlier this week:

"Kyle doesn't have to prove anything to me. He came up and went 10-4, and the way he pitched, it will take more than a bad spring for him to lose his job. Poise was his big thing last year, and his confidence, and he shouldn't let anything get him down. I'm the manager, and I like what he did for us. He's our fourth starter."

Should the Phillies be worried about playing poorly in preseason?
-- Matt L., Philadelphia

Manuel is upset by his team's performance, specifically with what he called a "too cool" approach by some of players, and he's likely to call a team meeting soon (if he hasn't already) to remind his team that this type of intensity level won't get it done in the regular season. That said, players have long said that it's hard to get up for Spring Training games, which serve as nothing more than a way to prepare for a 162-game season. They understand the manager's frustration, but largely aren't worried.

Why has little been said about Chris Coste's book? I tried to buy a copy last week and was told that it wouldn't be available until April 18.
-- Stuart L., Mt. Pleasant Mills, Pa.

Coste's book has been available for pre-order on Amazon.com and Barnesandnoble.com for a few weeks, and it's national release is scheduled for Tuesday. There's been plenty written about his long journey to the Major Leagues, and he said he's very happy with how the book turned out.

We hear about all the young pitching, Joe Savery, Josh Outman, Carlos Carrasco, Scott Mathieson and Kyle Drabek. What about Andrew Carpenter? He wasn't in big league camp. What's the deal with him? Are the Phillies still high on him?
-- Mike P., Jonestown, Pa.

Have a question about the Phillies?
E-mail your query to MLB.com Phillies beat reporter Ken Mandel for possible inclusion in a future mailbag column. Letters may be edited for brevity, length and/or content.

First Name, Last Initial:
Hometown:

Email Address:

Question:

It has been written more than once this spring that Carpenter is this year's Kendrick, a pitcher no one heard of in Spring Training who could make an impact at some point this season. Many things had to go wrong for Kendrick to emerge, and that would be the same scenario for Carpenter. His repertoire is similar, as he relies on a ground balls via the sinker.

What is the scouting report on C.J. Henry? He was supposed to be the key piece in the Bobby Abreu deal and has since switched from shortstop to outfield.
-- Ben C., Princeton, N.J.

Henry never got going with the Phillies and was considering pursuing a football career, a la Drew Henson. He's no longer in the organization. While Philadelphia would've have liked to see more of a return from the other players received from the Yankees -- Matt Smith, Carlos Monasterios and Jesus Sanchez -- that deal served as a way to save a large chunk of salary.

Who is slated to be the Opening Day first-base coach, in place of Davey Lopes?
-- Ron J., Conshohocken, Pa.

Former outfielder Jerry Martin will be the first-base coach until Lopes returns, which could be sometime in May.

What song will Brad Lidge come out to? I think he should come out to "Wild Thing," like Charlie Sheen did as Rick Vaughn in "Major League." I'm surprised no one has done that yet.
-- Matthew N., St. Johnsville, N.Y.

Lidge said recently that he's leaning toward Drowning Pool's "Soldiers" over another of their songs, "Bodies." I'm not hip enough to be familiar with either song, but I heard them thanks to YouTube. "Soldiers" has sirens in the beginning, and could sound cool if it were blaring from the Citizens Bank Park speakers.

Ken Mandel is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

BigEd76

comes out tomorrow:

oh yeah...Benson had a setback

PoopyfaceMcGee

SunMo

Myers, Hamels, Kendrick, Moyer, Eaton

nice math
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Wingspan

Quote from: FastFreddie on March 17, 2008, 05:01:58 PM
Eaton's the #4 starter.  Nice.

You should stick to not knowing things about topics you know a little more about, and not just basing your entire knowledge of a topic on what you read in these threads.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Sorry, I was factoring in Myers getting moved back to the pen or Hamels injuring his back.

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PoopyfaceMcGee

ice grillin you

listen to wing and stop talking about baseball