Thread for Hippos to mock Penn State

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, February 02, 2006, 09:23:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phattymatty

PoopyfaceMcGee

The 3 years actually is from seasons 99-00, 00-01, and 01-02.  So, their final four appearance is wiped from the record books.  Now, that's just fun for everyone.

ice grillin you

Young Lion anxious to roar again
An injury forced Derrick Williams to miss much of Penn State's season.
By Frank Fitzpatrick
Inquirer Staff Writer

Sometimes Derrick Williams cried on the practice field because it hurt so much - the inactivity, not the broken left arm that forced him to miss the tail end of Penn State's remarkable 2005 season.

Sometimes coach Joe Paterno would put an arm around the broad shoulders of his prized recruit and try to convince him that the painful down-time might prove to be a beneficial experience. He could learn more about pass routes from the sideline. He could learn more about defenses and coaching tactics.

But mostly Williams, a wide receiver, learned that he couldn't abide life without football.

"It was very depressing," Williams said yesterday during a break from Penn State's spring practices. "I'd never been hurt, never missed a game or a practice. Sometimes I'd go out there and cry. Joe said, 'You can learn a lot more from this experience.' But I really didn't want to hear it."

Now, fully healed and seasoned by both a spectacular half-season and the sideline classroom that followed the Oct. 15 injury at Michigan, Williams is eager for his sophomore season to begin.

With Michael Robinson's legs extracted from a Penn State offense that now will feature junior Anthony Morelli at quarterback, his versatility and game-breaking abilities become even more important. Look for Williams, who ran the ball as often as he caught it in 2005, to line up more often in the backfield.

"One thing the coaches said is that they're not worried about [seeing him run the ball during the spring]," he said. "They know I can do it."

Fast, tough and smart, there apparently is little that Williams can't do on the football field. He is, as his teammates will attest, a force of nature.

"What surprised me about him as a freshman," said defensive tackle Jay Alford, "was how fast he is. He's unbelievable."

And like so much else in nature, Williams has been reborn this spring.

"The return to contact was a joy," he said. "Just being out there again with my teammates. Missing practice was one of the toughest things in the world for me. Missing something I loved so much. It just [stinks] sitting there and watching."

Before sitting out the final four games of Penn State's 10-1 regular season as well its Orange Bowl win over Florida State, the freshman from Greenbelt, Md., had been the player who gave opposing coordinators nightmares.

In seven games, he caught 22 passes for 289 yards and a touchdown that beat Northwestern in that game's final minute. He ran the ball another 22 times for 116 yards and 3 TDs. And he returned 13 kickoffs, including one for 56 yards against Central Michigan.

"He can play the game of football," Ohio State coach Jim Tressel said before the teams met last October. "There are some guys who are just fast, but are maybe not football players. Derrick Williams is a football player. He's out there having fun."

But it wasn't much fun being on the sideline. After doctors set the break, it took several weeks for the swelling to subside.

"I had to take a couple of steps back in the weight room," Williams said. "It probably took a month for me to get my range of motion back."

That still seemed to leave him plenty of time to heal for the Jan. 3 Orange Bowl. But even though Williams practiced in Florida and said he was feeling near 100 percent, the always cautious Paterno held him out against Florida State.

"I really didn't lobby [the coaches to let him play]," Williams said. "I knew it was in the coaches' hands and I knew Joe would make a good decision. My family and I put our trust in his hands.

"Now it really feels better than ever, stronger than ever. When I came in this spring, I was back at full tilt. I wasn't rusty or anything like that."

It's a good thing the arm is healthy. As Williams and the other Nittany Lions receivers have learned during spring practices and in off-season workouts together, Morelli's passes are delivered with a great deal more speed than Robinson's.

"He throws one of the best balls I've ever seen in my life," Williams said.

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 13, 2006, 12:31:01 PM
"He throws one of the best balls I've ever seen in my life," Williams said.

That's what I like to hear.

BigEd76

Rumor:  Austin Scott tore his MCL yesterday

PoopyfaceMcGee

Sucks for him.  It was nice that he had a positive impact on the team in the Orange Bowl, considering his high pedigree coming out of high school, but Tony Hunt is a far superior all-around back, and now they can consider working in Royster or Carter as a true freshman.

ice grillin you

kinlaw will be the back-up

i cant imagine they want to play carter or royster next year but definitely not both...they are way too small...they both need a year in the weight room

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 13, 2006, 03:21:05 PM

Yeah, I didn't want to mention his name, but you're probably right.

I've seen precisely nothing exciting from Rodney Kinlaw.

ice grillin you

yeah i havent seen enough of him to know...i have to think he can at least hold down the back-up role...to avoid having to waste royster or carters redshirt year

NGM

Quote from: FFatPatt on April 13, 2006, 03:37:06 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 13, 2006, 03:21:05 PM

Yeah, I didn't want to mention his name, but you're probably right.

I've seen precisely nothing exciting from Rodney Kinlaw.

I know he is mad fast but thats about all I can say on him.  Scott has had three years to get his shtein together and as much as I hate to see him get hurt it doesn't concern me. 
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

phattymatty

blue-white weekend is going on and i got 2 calls last night from people that spotted me up in state college.

which is weird since i'm not there.

BigEd76

Rainy pregame show right now.  They were talking to Bobby Engram...

BigEd76

game on

Morelli out there now.  Nice pass to Norwood down to the 15 already

NGM

Man Morelli throws freakin lasers.   :o
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

BigEd76

10-0 Blue, 3rd Q.  The TD was on the final play before halftime as BranDon Snow ran it in from 1 yd out.  Morelli was something like 13/16, 170 yds at the half, and DWill looks completely recovered...  :yay