Jordan Matthews, WR, Philadelphia Eagle

Started by PhillyPhreak54, May 09, 2014, 08:01:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

Quote from: Eagaholic on May 09, 2014, 09:47:05 PM
you forgot

3. good blocker

yes this too...which kind of falls into the will do anything for the team great man thing

pete prisco on the pick....i couldn't have said it any better:

QuoteI think there were better options, but Matthews is a good player. He doesn't play as fast as his time, but he will catch a lot of balls in that offense. Trading up with other receivers on the board is a bit of a mystery.

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

LBIggle

PhillyPhreak54

ice grillin you

Quote from: LBIggle on May 09, 2014, 09:53:52 PM
is this avant ?

god no....avant was a stop drop and roll guy.....matthews can move and will have some yac...he just isnt going to stretch the field

totally different body type but as far as his overall game it isnt going to be drastically different from mack...with the exception of going up and getting a ball because of height and long arms....he gonna be a productive guy but not scare anyone

LBIggle

as long as he doesn't have the giroux/avant falling on the ground skills anything can happen.

BigEd76

QuoteAaronRodgers12
Happy for Jordan Matthews, surprised he was around at #42. Good pick up for the eagles. #Vandy

Don Ho

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 09, 2014, 08:58:36 PM
told you....salt of the earth

chip is building a commune not a football team

The People's Temple
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

SD

Dont be too harsh with your criticism...we have to be cautious of Sunnys feelings

Rome

Just for the record, I absolutely love this pick. 

SD

Overall I like the pick

Watched as much Matthews and Huff video as I could this morning while I was taking a dump. Matthews is bulkier than I thought. He plays like a big wr. He catches the ball really well in coverage and knows how to use his size. He doesn't get great separation. He's fast in open space but he runs slow routes.

Huff might work well because Chip knows his to use him. He is pretty average overall. Reminds me more of a RB than a wr. His mom tried to bash his head in with a 2x4...so there's that too

Rome

In the history of the SEC there's Jordan Matthews and then every other player ever in terms of productivity.  And he did it without an excellent quarterback throwing to him. 

I'll say it again... LOVE.  THIS.  PICK.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on May 10, 2014, 09:09:16 AM
In the history of the SEC there's Jordan Matthews and then every other player ever in terms of productivity.

the rest of the top ten:

2. earl bennent
3. craig yeast
4. kenny mckinely
5. terrence Edwards
6. chris Edwards
7. chris collins
8. drek abney
9. dj hall
10. anthony white

tim tebow is the all time td leader in the sec

again you cant put to much emphasis on college stats....thats not how the nfl drafts works

Rome

We should just ignore what he did on the field for four years and focus on how he performed in a cone drill in Indianapolis.  Got it.

ice grillin you

you arent looking at what he did on the field you are looking at his stats

should we ignore them totally....probably not....but college stats are incredibly skewed when it comes to transitioning to the nfl

production in the nfl draft means more as you move along in rounds....the earlier you draft the more things like talent size and measurables matter

Rome

I understand it's not an exact science and previous performance in college isn't the sole predictor of future performance.  If it were then Brandon Graham would be celebrating his fourth straight Pro Bowl appearance and Jerome McDougle would be being prepped for his induction into the Eagles Ring of Honor. 

The guys they've taken fit Chip's model for players and judging from the players they've gotten in the last two drafts I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt here.  I'm still salty about the first pick because I believe they could have gotten better value by going up a bit, but all we can do is * hope * they got it right.  Sooner or later they're bound to hit the jackpot on some of these clowns they're picking, right?