I hate my job!

Started by TexasEagle, March 12, 2006, 02:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

I'll shoot him a text to see if that's his sub contract rate or regular hourly rate. He might not be doing much work on his own at this point. Every project I've had done was a general overall cost.

Diomedes

Quote from: AO1 on February 12, 2018, 10:37:44 AMif that's his sub contract rate or regular hourly rate.

I'm realizing that I need to have a few rates.  A rate as a sub, for just me to show up with tools and work.  Another, as the principal and contract holder.  Another for friends/family/non-profits. 

At the bottom of all this what I really don't know is how much my work is worth....I know for a fact I've gotten a certain amount but have I been the beneficiary of my guy finding really good work, or is the work I've done on par...I literally don't know. 

Most people I've talked to about this are confirming that $60 per hour is not outrageous...and I know my plumber is $100 per hour, my electrician $125, our HVAC guys bill out around $100...painters at like $35, etc.  So I'm starting to feel comfortable thinking in the $60 range...but holy farg that strikes me as a lot of money.  As in, even if I were getting paid that rate, I couldn't afford myself.

How the farg does anyone make a living?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

Quote from: Diomedes on February 12, 2018, 10:43:56 AM
Quote from: AO1 on February 12, 2018, 10:37:44 AMif that's his sub contract rate or regular hourly rate.

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Here's his response word for word: "Gotcha. I guess it who ya find. I pay him 25 to 30 an hour cash. He is union so reg rate is high cause of total package probably 80 an hour but that's insurance and pension and all. Cash most guys I would think 200 to 300 a day"

ice grillin you

just got my first leave and earnings statement since my 15 year anniversary in the govt. and im officially up to 8 hrs vacation leave per check now

of course i might not have a job by the time the trump presidency is over
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SD

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 13, 2018, 07:33:23 AM
just got my first leave and earnings statement since my 15 year anniversary in the govt. and im officially up to 8 hrs vacation leave per check now

of course i might not have a job by the time the trump presidency is over

I hit mine last year because my 9 years military service counts. Greatest thing ever.

Tomahawk

I'm realizing that I need to have a few rates.  A rate as a sub, for just me to show up with tools and work.  Another, as the principal and contract holder.  Another for friends/family/non-profits. 

At the bottom of all this what I really don't know is how much my work is worth....I know for a fact I've gotten a certain amount but have I been the beneficiary of my guy finding really good work, or is the work I've done on par...I literally don't know. 

Most people I've talked to about this are confirming that $60 per hour is not outrageous...and I know my plumber is $100 per hour, my electrician $125, our HVAC guys bill out around $100...painters at like $35, etc.  So I'm starting to feel comfortable thinking in the $60 range...but holy farg that strikes me as a lot of money.  As in, even if I were getting paid that rate, I couldn't afford myself.

Plumbers and electricians get to charge more than carpenters but if you were getting billed out at 65, you should charge at least 85 if not a little higher. Making trick shtein like that sweet screen/fence should let you charge more than stupid framing

And if you're making cabinets, tailor the rate to the suckers buying them

SD

Sent an email to my supervisor and front office today telling them about my agencies deficiencies and ways I think they can improve. It was 2 pages long, extremely detailed, and I took feedback from my fellow employees. I'm a gs 12 now and next step would be a supervisor role which I'm not interested in...I'm the top performer at my station so not really worried about blowback. They passed the PACT act and life has been a nightmare. We had a townhall today where they kept patting themselves on the back and that just didn't sit well with a lot of employees.