Minnesota Talk

Started by 4and26, December 28, 2008, 08:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phillymic2000

henchmanUK

The bottom line is that if we have a balanced offensive attack then we win. If Reid reverts to type then we lose. I believe it really is that simple. I wish I could be all Woo-hoo and Go Birds, but as much as I will always treasure the Dallas win I am preparing for impending heartbreak.
"The drunkenness, the violence, the nihilism: the Eagles should really be an English football team, not an American one." - Financial Times, London

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Magical_Retard on December 29, 2008, 06:07:30 PM
I think Pat Williams has been upgraded to probable for the game now.

:boom

Caplan was on DNL earlier and said Williams was cleared but even if he plays it will be in a very limited role.

shorebird

Quote from: henchmanUK on December 29, 2008, 07:22:17 PM
The bottom line is that if we have a balanced offensive attack then we win. If Reid reverts to type then we lose. I believe it really is that simple. I wish I could be all Woo-hoo and Go Birds, but as much as I will always treasure the Dallas win I am preparing for impending heartbreak.

Such is the way of life for the Philadelphia Eagle fan.

Don Ho

Quote from: BigEd76 on December 29, 2008, 01:39:33 PM
Quote from: Butchers Bill on December 29, 2008, 03:19:49 AM
Anyone wanna go?  Ticketmaster has tickets available.

20,000 according to the Vikings.  weak

farging disgrace. 

Metrodome = Tropicana.  I love me sum catwalks.
"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Phanatic

QuoteEagles run offense-22nd
Vikings run def--1st

If this is true this could very well be pass happy offense day. Reid could justify it.
This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

MadMarchHare

Quote from: Phanatic on December 29, 2008, 09:23:41 PM
QuoteEagles run offense-22nd
Vikings run def--1st

If this is true this could very well be pass happy offense day. Reid could justify it.

Run offense is based solely on yardage gained.  Their numbers are low because they run so infrequently, not because it's ineffective.  If Reid doesn't know this (and he might not) he should be lit on fire.  Hell, just set him ablaze anyway.
Anyone but Reid.

Tomahawk

That's true that teams run less against the Vikings, but their Run D only gives up 3.3 yards a pop which ties the Steelers for tops in the NFL.

Looking at all the run stats, I noticed the Eagles D is by far the best in the league regarding big run plays. The longest they let up is only 28 yds, making them one of only three teams never to allow a 40 yard+ gain on the ground

Diomedes

Quote from: Tomahawk on December 29, 2008, 10:34:55 PMLooking at all the run stats, I noticed the Eagles D is by far the best in the league regarding big run plays. The longest they let up is only 28 yds, and never anything over 40 yards

huh?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Tomahawk

Long day and I are stoopid

Phanatic

This post is brought to you by Alcohol!

Feva

Reid vs. Marty or Mary vs. Reid

QuoteRich Hofmann: Eagles, Reid might have to take unbalanced approach vs. Vikings
By Rich Hofmann
Philadelphia Daily News

Daily News Sports Columnist

THE CAMERA/LISTENING device was secreted in Andy Reid's office during his news conference yesterday. The tapes and transcripts of his conversation with offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg were available by nightfall.
Andy: We can't do this, can we?

Marty: Look at the numbers.

Andy: But we can't.

Marty: Will you look at how hard it is to run the ball against them? Will you look?

Reid picked up a pile of paper and began to rifle through the stack. A closeup from the camera revealed what Mornhinweg was talking about. The numbers showed that the Minnesota Vikings have the No. 1 run defense in the National Football League. The numbers showed that only the Baltimore Ravens have had to defend fewer running plays this season than the Vikings.

Many teams give up on the run very, very early against the Vikings - that was on another of the sheets that Reid was studying. A couple of teams really didn't even try. And now, with a playoff date against the Vikings coming next on the Eagles' schedule, the angst was writ large on Reid's face.

He shuffled through the papers some more, then looked up.

Andy: But what about the last 5 weeks?

Marty: I know, I know - it's worked out well. A couple of more runs in the first half have made a big difference.

Andy: So we have to keep doing it.

Marty: I agree.

Andy: So what are we arguing about?

Marty: We're arguing about what we should do when the run doesn't work.

Andy: Aren't you the optimist.

Marty: Just a realist.

Reid went back to the paperwork. Again, the camera revealed the numbers. They painted an interesting change in Reid during the course of the season, an evolution of falling expectations for his passing game.

Everything changed on the day the coach benched quarterback Donovan McNabb at halftime in Baltimore. Before that game, the numbers show an offense that tried to function when it called passing plays 69 percent of the time in the first half. It worked great for a long time. The Eagles averaged more than 16 points in the first half of their first nine games.

But then came the disasters against Cincinnati and Baltimore. After that, Reid and Mornhinweg got religion. Their playcalling changed to 57 percent passing plays in the first half in the last five games. That amounts to four more runs in each of those first halves - more than a tweak, not quite a revolution but definitely noticeable. It worked well in four games out of five, the scoring almost returning to the Eagles' pre-Cincinnati level.

The town likes the better balance. The team likes the better balance.

Reid looked up again from the sheets.

Andy: Some of these numbers are pretty lopsided.

Marty: I told you. Look at Arizona.

Andy: I know - 22 passes and four runs in their first half against the Vikings. But they're crazier than we are anyway.

Marty: Look at New Orleans - 32 passes, eight runs. Look at Jacksonville - 29 passes, eight runs. Chicago, 20 to six. Indianapolis, 22 to nine. Even the Giants on Sunday threw it 60 percent of the time in the first half.

Andy: What's the league average?

Marty: It's 67 percent passes in the first half against Minnesota.

Andy: How about the teams that beat them?

Marty: Still high - 63 percent passes.

Andy: But we're supposed to keep running, right?

Earlier, at his news conference, Reid was talking about some of his protégés among NFL coaches, including Baltimore's John Harbaugh and the Vikings' Brad Childress. Both of them run the ball a bunch.

Reid said, "That's what they have chosen to do. That's their little wrinkle to the thing. They have done it more than probably anybody in this [West Coast] system and done it very well. Brad has one of the best, if not the best running back in the National Football League right now [in Adrian Peterson], maybe the MVP of the National Football League. He's given him the ball a lot and I understand that. He's a heck of a player."

But that is not Reid's philosophy. Whatever balance has been added in the last few weeks has only been because of the crises in Cincinnati and Baltimore.

But, well, now what? Will Reid yield to temptation or stay with the recent plan? Will he stick with the run in the first half, even against that No. 1 run defense? Will he stick with it even if it doesn't produce immediate results? Will he stick with it even if the Eagles fall behind? And if he does lean a little more to the pass, will it be only a little more and not what happened in the second half against the taterskins?

These are the questions. Meanwhile, on the video, Reid and Mornhinweg silently pored over the data.

If this conversation really took place, you can't tell me these roles weren't reversed.  Get ready for pass, pass, pass, punt.  Maybe the defense can get 2 more TD's.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

ice grillin you

you dont not run because the vikings have a good run defense

you run because they have jared allen
you run because the noise in the dome will be fierce (stay out of the shotgun as much as possible)
you run so that your play action works
you run because you have a great rb tandem
you run because minnesota is not going to put up a lot of pts

no one is saying it has to be 50/50 and the game will dictate which way you lean more but they better have a healthy dose of it in the game plan and they better not abandoned it in the first half if its not working
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Feva

You only have to run enough so that the run remains a threat... and so that they can't just tee off and charge McNabb every down because their D-line CAN get to the QB.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

PoopyfaceMcGee

Gotta run.  If the Eagles call more than 20 run plays, they win the game.