Titans - Game Thread

Started by 4and26, November 19, 2006, 01:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

That said, I will also say that the play call was good on that play. The play action drew in most of the coverage, and LJ was pretty wide open. Runyan was on DNL explaining that they didn't do a good enough job selling the run, so the LBs weren't all fooled. Regardless, had McNabb thrown the ball with more of an arc, it would have been a TD, and there would be no bitching about that play at all.

youre arguing against yourself sus...you cant say it was a good call and then say it was a bad pass or the play wasnt run properly...the reason it was a bad call is precisely because those things you describe can happen when you throw the ball...passing the ball is is much lower % play than running exactly because so many things can prevent the play from being successful

it was a brutally bad call sent in by a pathetic coach
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

The line didn't do a good enough job selling the run?  Is he f'ing serious??

Come on, Big Jon.  The Eagles don't run the ball with any sort of conviction, and even when they do, it's for no other reason than to set up yet another pass.  I appreciate Runyan trying to take the responsibility for a failed play but when the play is doomed to failure because of a flawed overall philosophy to begin with, no amount of "selling" on the o-line's part is going to work.

ice grillin you

perhaps a draw play there would have fooled the defense

Drunkmasterflex

I agree with Feva, that was one of the most infuriating playcalls that I have seen in my 17 years as an Eagles fan.  I didn't think it could be anything but a sneak on that play. It was definately a bad pass by McNabb, but he shouldn't have even been throwing in that situation. 
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Butchers Bill

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 22, 2006, 07:58:48 AM
perhaps a draw play there would have fooled the defense

I think a run play there would have fooled them too.    :-\
I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage
I found that just surviving was a noble fight.
I once believed in causes too,
I had my pointless point of view,
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right.

MURP

I also agree about the goal line nonsense.   Even more so because just a couple weeks back Baldinger or some other talking head threw out a stat that McNabb was like 23 of 24 on QB sneaks for a yard in his career.   sickening.

SunMo

a qb sneak is almost instinctual at that point...he had to do it just because he wanted to show how smart he was and just let everyone know that he was in charge
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

he had to do it just because he wanted to show how smart he was

yep thats why nik cole was in the game...to sell the run even more by putting a lineman back there....so sneaky....and then SHOCK! everyone with a pass play...

what an IDIOT

Feva

Quote from: Susquehanna Birder on November 22, 2006, 07:13:45 AM
That said, I will also say that the play call was good on that play. The play action drew in most of the coverage, and LJ was pretty wide open. Runyan was on DNL explaining that they didn't do a good enough job selling the run, so the LBs weren't all fooled. Regardless, had McNabb thrown the ball with more of an arc, it would have been a TD, and there would be no bitching about that play at all.

I love Big John... but he's full of shtein on this one and he's missing the point.  The point is... there should be no "selling" in the first place.  This team and coach shouldn't be trying to "fool" anyone for 1/2 yard.  Again... a 240lb QB should be able to pick that up behind the biggest O-line in the NFL against one of the worst defenses in the league.  The LAST thing you need in that situation is a turnover so you should do everything you can to minimize the chances of it happening.  If they stopped us on 3rd (and then 4th) down... fine... good for them, but they're pinned back inside their own 1 yard line... which creates positive opportunities for the defense.

Even if we had got a TD on that pass... of course we would all be happy they scored... but it wouldn't change the fact that Andy's philosophy is flawed.  He still opted for the play that has a lower chance for success.

Andy simply tried to outsmart the Titans instead of using his personell's strengths and it blew up in all of our faces.  There's no excuse for the stupidity of that call.
"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

MURP

Reminds me of the old quote... There are 3 things that can happen when you pass, and 2 of them are bad.

mussa

I'm not surprised he called a pass play in fact I said out loud, watch he's going to pass. How many times this year and last have we watched 3rd and short being blown by a pass play.  It common fargin sense on 3rd and inches to QB sneak! I can understand on 3rd and 3 and under, MAYBE everynow and then, attempt a pass. His playcalling is absolutely predictable. 
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

ice grillin you

Reminds me of the old quote... There are 3 things that can happen when you pass, and 2 of them are bad.

i always wondered about this tho because when you run you can:

1. lose yardage
2. gain yardage
3. fumble

rjs246

Luckily we don't ever have to worry about this team running.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

MURP

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 22, 2006, 12:55:10 PM

i always wondered about this tho because when you run you can:

1. lose yardage
2. gain yardage
3. fumble

heh, yeah I agree I have also wondered... because when you pass you could also be sacked, the WR could fumble, intentional grounding etc.     

General_Failure

You get yards
You don't get yards
You lose the ball

I think sacks are covered by the middle one there.

The man. The myth. The legend.