18 Game Schedule

Started by Sgt PSN, September 01, 2010, 10:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should the NFL expand the season to 18 games?

Yes
5 (41.7%)
No
11 (91.7%)

Total Members Voted: 12

Voting closed: September 08, 2010, 10:05:12 PM

ice grillin you

Quote from: FastFreddie on September 02, 2010, 10:45:52 AM
The more I read about this, the more I think it's an awful idea:

-It adds strain to the pending lockout situation, because the players hate the idea. - if the players get compensated they wont care...its all rhetoric at this point

-Removing pre-season games could be done simply by, well, REMOVING PRE-SEASON GAMES.  Go ahead and increase ticket prices if you think the market will bear it, since each team would have one fewer home pre-season game.  But you know the owners would raise them anyway if they moved two games from the pre-season to the real season. -adding two extra real games at no additional price is actually something the nfl should be getting credit for

-There are already too many meaningless games as is.  More games will dilute the product and make every regular season game mean slightly less, along with creating even more end-of-season games that mean nothing. - i dont think two games will dilute the product much if at all...if it does it will be more in the quality of play not in how much the games will mean

-The NFL is the most popular pro sport by far.  Why mess with a winning formula? - agreed
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

So you disagree with all the specific reasons I gave, but you still ultimately agree that the 18 game schedule is a bad idea, because the NFL is already very popular?

You are one interesting dook, dook.

ice grillin you

im against it cause 16 games works perfectly

im for it because i know its not realistic to expect them to give away the money that is associated with two preseason games without replacing the revenue that comes with them...and because of that...the decision to add two more regular season games at no cost to me is more than fair

Rome

two more games = two more opportunities to get drunk and get picked up by 22 year-old cocktail waitresses.

hbionic

Quote from: Rome on September 02, 2010, 02:28:55 PM
two more games = two more opportunities to get drunk and get picked up by 22 year-old cocktail waitresses.

.....mmmm.....Tiger Woods!
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

charlie

Quote from: Rome on September 02, 2010, 02:28:55 PM

Because if there is anything 22 year old hot coctail waitresses want to do, is go home with a half drunk football fan with wing grease dripping all over his shirt smelling like miller lite farts.

ice grillin you

and you didnt mention creepy and old

rjs246

First of all, anyone who is only half drunk after a game has no business calling themselves a man. Second of all, I don't know what my point is here.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

lurking wierdo

I am for MY system. limit rosters to 42 players with no in-season replacements. Eliminate the 5 yard chuck rule and the clipping rule, allow face masking and head slaps, encourage violent helmet to helmet contact. Make the season as long as it takes for 2 teams to get down to 22 players. These 2 teams play for the Superbowl.

Although this sounds farcical, who of you doubts that the league would be stocked with players? As long as the money is there, people will play.

Sgt PSN

I've got a new beef with the 18 game schedule.  Goodell is concerned about player safety so the rules are changing to reduce the number of big hits in the game.  But he wants to add 2 games to the schedule, which will basically increase the risk for injury.  Doesn't make sense. 

Munson

I liked Goodell at first but it's become obvious that all he's worried about is making his name important in the history of the NFL
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Sgt PSN

The same can be said for any person who rises to the top of any organization.  Everyone wants to put their own stamp on whatever it is that they are heading up.  Goodell is no different than anyone else in that regard.  Unfortunately, he's also no different in terms of never being satisfied with revenue and income generated by his product and is looking for a way to increase profit margins at the expense of product quality (potentially) and employee safety (potentially). 

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 11, 2010, 01:41:11 AM
I've got a new beef with the 18 game schedule.  Goodell is concerned about player safety so the rules are changing to reduce the number of big hits in the game.  But he wants to add 2 games to the schedule, which will basically increase the risk for injury.  Doesn't make sense. 

its not mine but thats been the beef since jump street regarding expanding the schedule

i dont think you have a new beef as much as you are noticing how blatantly goodell is contridicting himself

PoopyfaceMcGee

The desire to expand into Canada and London is infuriating too.  There are already too many teams that have problems selling out.

reese125

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 11, 2010, 08:20:32 AM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on November 11, 2010, 01:41:11 AM

its not mine but thats been the beef since jump street regarding expanding the schedule

i dont think you have a new beef as much as you are noticing how blatantly goodell is contridicting himself

Yeah but his theory (aside from increased revenue of course) is that if he tweaks the hitting rule, changes equipment, less off-season work, etc. then that will lead to a decrease in injury, thus being able to add two more games.

I can't believe it's week 10 already, so at this point I don't care all that much as long as more football is played.