"Thats what a Super Bowl Calibur team looks like"

Started by DH, October 03, 2005, 11:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DH

From KCCheifs.com...

GRETZ: That's What a Contender Looks Like
Oct 03, 2005, 6:00:34 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

So that's what a Super Bowl caliber team looks like.

The Philadelphia Eagles came into Arrowhead Stadium on Sunday, spotted the Chiefs an 18-point lead and then roared from behind to gain a 37-31 victory that only a few teams in this league could pull off, especially on the road.

A team has to be battle-tested, confident, maybe even cocky to be able to spot the home team that kind of lead and still win the game.

That's what the Eagles are right now. They are everything the Chiefs are not. Yes, the home team came roaring out of the blocks with a great first quarter, even a good first 10 minutes of the second quarter. They were up 17-0, even blocked a field goal of the Eagles and with four minutes, 47 seconds to go, they were in control of the game.

That's when the Chiefs went to the well one too many times. They went several times to an empty backfield alignment, with two tight ends and three wide receivers. One of the first times they used this was a quick strike throw to Eddie Kennison that got into the end zone and made the score 17-0. The next time they used this set, Trent Green was sacked because the Eagles played the alignment and jumped the quick routes.

The next time they went to this empty backfield set, Sheldon Brown disguised his coverage and stepped into the quick throw and returned it 40 yards for a score. Now, it was 17-6, as the Eagles missed the PAT.

Dante Hall pushed the momentum back to the Chiefs with a kickoff return for a touchdown, but then Larry Johnson got crushed on the next possession and coughed up the football. Philly recovered and five plays later, Donovan McNabb hit Terrell Owens for a touchdown.

The game was over at that point. For the rest of the second quarter and then the entire second half, the Eagles controlled the game. They did it by controlling the line of scrimmage. The Philly defensive line dominated the Chiefs offensive line, simply dominated them. There were no rushing yards between the tackles all day, and anything the Chiefs were able to get, largely with Priest Holmes (18 carries for 84 yards) was on the perimeter, and that was only in the first half. The Chiefs ran the ball seven times for 40 yards in the second half.

Where the Eagles dominated was in never allowing the Chiefs to get into any rhythm with their passing game. Green threw all his passes on one, three and sometimes five-step drops. He never dropped back and surveyed the field like he usually does, because there wasn't time. Sometimes there wasn't even time on the three-step drops. While he wasn't hit as often as he was in Denver on Monday night, Green had less time to throw than that game.

For awhile the Chiefs were winning on special teams, with Hall's TD return, a blocked field goal by Eric Hicks and a fumble recovery on kickoff return. But eventually the Eagles got that part of their game straightened out and they gave up nothing in the kicking game from then on.

Here's the simple equation: the Eagles are the better team. In this case, the much better team. The Chiefs are not of their caliber. meatcicle Vermeil and his team could have walked away from this game with the same score and felt better about everything had it not played out the way it did.

But how can you take anything positive out of gaining a 17-point lead, and then seeing an opponent roar back with 31 unanswered points and dominating the game?

No, there's no way to paint this picture in pretty colors. The Eagles are what the Chiefs hope, dream and are working to be. We saw Sunday that there's still a long way to go before they can consider themselves contenders.

The Eagles are contenders. The Chiefs are pretenders.

MURP

JTrotter Fan

When you're riding in a time machine way far into the future, don't stick your elbow out the window, or it'll turn into a fossil.

rjs246

I almost punched my dog in the neck during the first quarter. I heart huge comebacks.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

DH

Quote from: rjs246 on October 03, 2005, 11:25:55 AM
I almost punched my dog in the neck during the first quarter. I heart huge comebacks.

I almost punched my friendly bartender. Considering she was a piece, this would have been a bad idea, though.

PhillyandBCEagles

Don Ho

Quote from: Die-Hard on October 03, 2005, 11:28:50 AM

I almost punched my friendly bartender. Considering she was a piece, this would have been a bad idea, though.

I punched my son - twice, after the Phillies game and after the first quarter.

"Well where does Jack Lord live, or Don Ho?  That's got to be a nice neighborhood"  Jack Singer(Nicholas Cage) in Honeymoon in Vegas.

Sgt PSN

I've been listening to KC sports radio all morning and find it to be very entertaining.  Not because talk show hosts and fans are bashing the Chiefs but because they are sucking the Eagles off in such a way that one would think they've been to the Madden and Theisman School of Fellatio. 

Hokie-Eagles Fan

Quote from: Don Ho on October 03, 2005, 03:33:25 PM
Quote from: Die-Hard on October 03, 2005, 11:28:50 AM

I punched my son - twice, after the Phillies game and after the first quarter.

That's really not funny. I hope you were joking.

fansince61

Seen a lot of games...Yesterday was a classic....I wouldn't argue with anybody that siad it was the best ever ;)

hbionic

Quote from: Sgt PSN on October 03, 2005, 04:10:07 PM
I've been listening to KC sports radio all morning and find it to be very entertaining.  Not because talk show hosts and fans are bashing the Chiefs but because they are sucking the Eagles off in such a way that one would think they've been to the Madden and Theisman School of Fellatio. 

That's where you were earlier in the day. Thanks, but I still don't think it was necessary for you to wear lipstick. It was a bitch washing out the red lipstick off my pubes...I had to wax thanks to you. At least you didn't use teeth this time...unlike someone's mom I know.  ::)
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05