Started by Sgt PSN, May 24, 2011, 10:44:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 12, 2017, 08:27:15 PM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on September 12, 2017, 08:03:55 PM
News organizations are narrow minded now

One story and one story only

I want to read more to see how nine people got capped and no one fought back

cause they were normal decent regular people having a football cookout not a bunch of knuckle dragging john waynes

Who said anything about knuckle dragging John Wayne's? Even though multiple firearms were found on the scene - probability says someone other than the shooter was armed - but even if they weren't (or even if they were and did not/could not shoot for whatever reason) I'm just talking about a fight to disarm the shooter.

You've got numbers on your side. I mean if someone is going to try to kill me I'd like to think I'm gonna fight.

Tomahawk

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on September 12, 2017, 09:39:58 PM
I'm just talking about a fight to disarm the shooter.

You've got numbers on your side. I mean if someone is going to try to kill me I'd like to think I'm gonna fight.

they werent packing around a football camp fire he was....and he had the element of suprise....what the farg you want them to do superman...this isnt die hard its real life
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Tomahawk

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 12, 2017, 10:21:51 PM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on September 12, 2017, 09:39:58 PM
I'm just talking about a fight to disarm the shooter.

they werent packing around a football camp fire he was

This is Texas...somebody other than the shooter had a gun.

But that's an interesting point: how many were shot in the back vs while charging him

ice grillin you

Quote from: Tomahawk on September 12, 2017, 10:24:27 PM

im not saying you are wrong but everything i read says no one did...his ex was a foodie who enjoyed cooking for and drinking wine with her friends...but even if someone was holding if someone walks in and starts blasting first it doesnt matter

thats why good guy with gun rarely ever shoots bad guy with gun...its usually good 5 year son of good father shoots good cousin while playing with gun

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 12, 2017, 10:29:00 PM

im not saying you are wrong but everything i read says no one did...his ex was a foodie who enjoyed cooking for and drinking wine with her friends...but even if someone was holding if someone walks in and starts blasting first it doesnt matter

This is pretty spot on.  Given the element of surprise, a person can squeeze off at least 6-8 rounds before anyone even has a chance to react.  So a moderately trained/competent shooter within close proximity to his targets can easily kill a half dozen people before they even know what's going on, let alone draw their own pistol and return fire. 

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: ice grillin you on September 12, 2017, 10:29:00 PM

thats why good guy with gun rarely ever shoots bad guy with gun...its usually good 5 year son of good father shoots good cousin while playing with gun

re: good guy with a gun

That's why I'm not a gun owner as I posted last night. While I am confident in myself and have training I don't want to take that chance. I've never been in that situation and I don't know how I'd react despite my confidence in myself. Adrenaline is a bitch and shooting at a person is way different than a paper target. I couldn't live with myself if I was in a situation and missed the bad guy with a gun and killed some innocent bystander.

Which is why when I see these chicks with their little cute pink pistols squeezing off rounds at shop lifters or brandishing during road rage I get mad. I also can't stand the neckbeard white dudes who think they're showing out by open carrying. Don't like it.

Back to this massacre - there were a lot of people there...more than the nine who were shot. But even if none had a gun (despite reports several firearms were found on scene) I'd still think the whole adrenaline rush of fight or flight kicks in. Like you said they're not in some kumbaya circle so the IT systems analyst (or whatever computer job he held - he wasn't someone with extensive fire arms training) calmly picks off a gathering of people? He wasn't a sniper in some protected nest.

I just can't imagine that no one there, one or two of the men at least, didn't try to charge him. Maybe it wasn't possible. But I'd rather get shot fighting than as a sitting duck. And that's not die hard machismo talking...

ice grillin you

my feeling is if you are gonna get got you are gonna get got...99.9% of the time it doesnt matter if you are packing....so why do it...cause there is a much bigger chance you get in a normal argument and shoot someone unnecessarily or shoot an innocent bystander than you shoot someone who is gonna shoot you...or you escalate an everyday argument into madness cause you have a gun

i would say the one difference could be if you are at home and you have a gun in your dresser and you hear someone breaking in....then you can be prepared....but out on the street...it aint gonna do shtein but bad things...and honestly even at home the number skew way towards the tragic than they do killing the random burglar

i dont really feel like arguing about guns because its one of those issues where no one is changing anyones minds and the one side is so far gone that its pointless and im so far to the other extreme (i think they should all be illegal) that its a non starter

PhillyPhreak54

I don't think you'd be arguing with me on guns. I wholly agree with you. Having them can turn a normal encounter into a deadly one. Flip someone the bird in traffic and you'll catch one.

I'm ok with a shotgun at the house or a handgun in the dresser but then you have to worry about kids or domestic arguments.

So if the government wanted to take them all away I'd be just fine with it. That ain't happening so I'd like to see insurance be required along with heavy restrictions and regulations.

ice grillin you

i wasnt saying you i was more saying in general its just not something i really feel like getting into ever....even tho i feel incredibly strong about having stricter gun laws...its like abortion...you cant change people minds who base their beliefs on religion and guns for gun people are a religion

Sgt PSN

Just out of curiosity, because I don't remember you speaking directly to this before, but with wanting guns banned, is that including cops and military?  I know that in your perfect world, every last gun, grenade, and rocket launcher would be melted down and used to create a 200' tall statue of Buddy Ryan, but seeing as that's definitely never going to happen in the next thousand lifetimes, would I be correct in assuming that your gun ban would primarily be applied to private citizens? 

ice grillin you

no...law enforcement obviously needs them...im not some hippy liberal that thinks if guns are banned they will all magically go away

maybe law enforcement reform after gun reform?

Tomahawk

ice grillin you

cops needs guns like countries need nuclear weapons for deterrance and protection...but they need to be better trained and prepared for when and how to use them...there should be less North Korea cops on the street and more India cops

Tomahawk

lol I can dig it. But then you'd have to pay cops more and pay more overall for training and what not. America, purportedly the richest country in the world, does not have those kinds of resources because nukes.