My Training Camp Report For 03 August ....

Started by PhillyPhreak54, August 03, 2005, 06:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

It was great to get back up to Lehigh to watch some football. It was brutally hot today (97 degrees + humidity) and several players had issues with the heat. I heard on TV that 9400 of us showed up this morning compared to 6200 for the first day last year. It wasn't as crazy as last year with the 25,000, but it was crowded. I stayed for the entire morning practice and about half of the afternoon practice...

As for the football stuff:

1. Dhani Jones was all over the place this morning. He was looking very nice in coverage both on the TE's and on RB's coming out of the backfield.

2. Artis Hicks was the LT on the first team OL and he looked good. He was quick out of his stance but he did give up some pressure at times. I believe he gave up 1 "sack" all morning.

3. Mike McMahon was brutal. Overthrowing, underthrowing and not staying in the pocket long enough. He threw a 40 yard fly to TO and it was not out in front of TO far enough so TO had to hold up and that allowed Sheldon Brown to get a finger on it.

4. L.J Smith looked great at times and then he'd drop a few. But he was moving good and didn't seem to have any lingering affects from the back surgery.

5. Reno Mahe, surprisingly, was excellent today. He had the longest run of the day and he was cleaning up the passes thrown to him. He looked much improved and I was a little surprised.

6. Carlos Perez had a nice workout this morning. He's pretty fast and quick out of his breaks. He had several nice catches but when DB's went to bump & run, he slacked off a bit.

7. Justin Jenkins was OK. He dropped quite a few balls and got a case of alligator arms across the middle. Trotter was closing in on him and spooked Jenkins into not going for the ball.

8. Billy McMullen , like Jenkins, was OK. He'd make some nice moves and nice grabs but then drop a ball or two.

9. Robert Redd, this guy is my sleeper this year (one of them). He is a burner and he had several very nice catches. He was also working on PR duties.

10. ND Kalu was moving great and was moving well on that knee. He had a sack and was the "starter" at RDE. He had a nice burst so I'd say he's on his way to being fully back.

11. Jon Ritchie looked very good as well. He is wearing a brace on that knee but he looked like the same ol' Ritchie we knew pre-ACL tear.

12. Martin Patterson is my other sleeper. He had a nice morning practice and made a great 1-handed INT on Koy Detmer. I liked what I saw from him.

13. The hit of the day was Jeremiah Trotter absolutely laying out Josh Parry. He "dawkplexed" Parry on a little dump to the FB.

14. Bruce Perry had some good runs and good moves and looked decent catching the ball. He made one catch right in front of Reid where he went up for it, juggled it and then caught it going down onto his back. His helmet shot off from his head hitting the ground.

15. Todd Pinkston was catching a lot of heat from the fans. A few guys standing by me were getting on him pretty good while he was taking a knee on the sideline. I'd say that he stayed there for a good 10 minutes and finally when he walked away he turned around and said a little something back to the guys getting on him. He didn't look too happy about it.

16. Mike Patterson has an explosive first step. He was really firing off the ball in one-on-one drills and it surprised me to see exactly how fast he was out of his stance. His smallish height is going to help him. He gets under bigger OL's pads and has leverage on him.

17. Darwin Walker also looked good. Made a few nice plays and was moving around well. Him and Sam Rayburn started out as the first two tackles out there in the team drill, but Sam got hurt and Hollis came in.

18. Todd Herremans was beaten a few times today. He's huge, but obviously he still needs to learn.

19. Calvin Armstrong is another huge guy who had a hard time with a few guys today in pass protection.

20. I can see why Trent Cole got the nickname "Scrap Iron". He is a brawler and does not look as small as he was described to be. He was getting on the outside when rushing the passer and getting by. Didn't really see him versus the run too much.

21. Mark Marsical was booming some punts and had nice sprirals. I think he'd be fine to step in for Dirk for a game or two.

22. Robert Redd, Dexter Wynn & Linj Shell were fielding punts. Nothing serious, just catching them - no pressure from gunners early on. Later in the practice they did put in the coverage units and they all looked good. Wynn did drop one but picked it back up.

23. Reggie Brown looked very good early on. He was fluid and I don't think he dropped a ball when they were running routes with just the QBs throwing to the WRs. He did seem to struggle a little bit later on when faced with coverage, but he still made some very nice grabs. His biggest problem was shaking the coverage and getting to the right spot sometimes it seemed. But make no mistake, he looked good.

24. In the afternoon practice when the players were walking out to the field Shawn Andrews walked past Reggie Brown and busted out singing Ray Charles' "Georgia". :lol:

25. Correll Buckhalter absolutely ran over Mike Labinjo on one run. Right in front of me too. It was one of those "wooo" hits.

26. Greg Lewis is ready to be a solid contributor. He will make an impact this year folks. Too bad he cramped up really bad in the morning because he was all over the place.

27. And finally, Terrell Owens. He was booed a little bit and had some people tossing out comments about Rosenhaus, the contract, just play and win the Super Bowl...stuff like that. But aside from the few boos...the majority of the reaction was positive. I know I was cheering him and singing the TO song. TO was talking often to Greg Lewis, Jeremiah Trotter, Correll Buckhalter and some of the younger guys. TO finally acknolwedged the crowd and turned around and raised his arms up when we were singing the TO song, just like last year. He would get booed when he'd drop a pass, but when he caught one it was reminiscent of last year with a whole lot of cheers. No real need to comment on his play because he was TO. He caught a lot and dropped a few. No ill effects at all from his ankle injury from what I could see. He was cutting on a dime.

When TO was directly in front of me I yelled "who can make a play, TO?" and he raised his hand and pointed at himself and smiled. Later on another guy asked him the same thing and he pointed at Pinkston, who was next to him, and the crowd booed. :-D Pinky was catching a lot of heat...I wish I heard what he said to the guys n front of me who were ripping him. But I saw him turn around and say something to them. Pinky was pissed.

As always, feel free to ask questions because I might've left a few things out. It was great to see the Birds on the field again...

mikey418

Trotter's spook of Jenkins was definitely a highlight...he yelled "wham" right as the ball was coming.
The wannabe sponsor of Stallworth and Baskett

TexasEagle

Nice report, Phreak. Sandwiched between Texan & Cowboys talk (most Cowboys) it's refreshing to read up on a fans view of the Iggs. :)

jeffreyjpa

Wingspan

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

RomeyRome

I don't get why people have to be dumbasses about that.  Yes Pinky has a shaky history, but he is an Eagle for the forseeable future.  Especially this year, which barring injuries/holdouts could be one of the best years in Eagles history to make a serious run at the big one.  Get over yourselves and leave Pinky alone man.  He is an Eagle, why make him feel like shtein?  Why make him dread going to practice or dread playing in front of the home crowd.  When the season is over, then fine yell at him all you want.  But for now he is an Eagle, and people need to get over themselves and stop harpin on him.  We are going to need Pinky stretching the field and making those deep plays occasionally to keep the defense on its toes.  Like him or not, he has his role and he is going to play a significant role in the passing game.  He is an Eagle, if you don't like the player that's fine, but support the EAGLES through and through.

Wingspan

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

RomeyRome

Quote from: Wingspan on August 03, 2005, 06:45:28 PM
cut pinkston. he pisses on crusifixes :P

No that would be a CF sponsored event unfortunately.

PhillyPhreak54

NB, lighten up man. It was funny. If you think that the people ripping Pinkston will get to him in games, then I think you'd be wrong.

And he caught WAY much more shtein last year because of his "I lost focus" comments after the Carolina game.

rjs246

Quote from: NB on August 03, 2005, 06:46:34 PM

Then why keep coming back?

Let them eat bootstraps.

RomeyRome

Quote from: rjs246 on August 03, 2005, 06:53:39 PM
Quote from: NB on August 03, 2005, 06:46:34 PM

Then why keep coming back?

Best place to get latest Eagles info.  The hate is the downside though.  I very rarely post because people like you feel the need to act up so that you can feel better about yourselves.

RomeyRome

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on August 03, 2005, 06:48:01 PM
NB, lighten up man. It was funny. If you think that the people ripping Pinkston will get to him in games, then I think you'd be wrong.

And he caught WAY much more shtein last year because of his "I lost focus" comments after the Carolina game.

I know, I just meant that people shouldn't get on him so hard.  We are going to need him as long as AR is starting Pinky, why try to ruin the guys confidence.

rjs246

You've nailed it! It's our insecurity! Not your suckitude.

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyPhreak54

Who's hating here?

I'm telling you that Pinky took heat for his 3 episodes of pussiness last year. Just like he took heat for the "I lost focus comments" last year.

But the heat wasn't hatred...it was ragging on him. What's bad about that? After last year he deserved a little bit of it. And if you were there, you'd have laughed like I did I bet.