Which ended worse?

Started by SD, January 12, 2011, 03:57:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which Philly sports teams season was most painful for you?

Flyers- Leighton lets up a softy - Hawks win the Cup
2 (14.3%)
Phillies - Howard stands like a statue as strike 3 is called, Giants go on to win the World Series
10 (71.4%)
Eagles- Vick throws an awful TD pass
2 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 14

PoopyfaceMcGee

The big difference is that Leighton was a one-year "wonder" whereas Howard is the Phillies' franchise player.

ice grillin you

Quote from: FastFreddie on January 13, 2011, 11:35:37 AM
The big difference is that Leighton was a one-year "wonder" whereas Howard is the Phillies' franchise player.

lol...what the hell does that have to do with anything

you care more about the circumstances of the individual who farged up than what the entire team potentially lost?....or are you saying that if ben francisco had struck out your answer would be different

game 6 of a final trumps any conference loss...then you throw on top of it how the flyers lost and its a no contest...again if you treat the teams equally....i suspect that there are not many if any people voting that like the flyers as much as the phillies and i think that is the mitigating factor here unless its just that people dont get it
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Munson

I'd say as much as I love the Phillies, I probably watched more Flyers games last year......it's just the fact that the Flyers were never supposed to be there in the first place and it was time when I was actually "happy" with the fact that they were just there....winning it at that point would have been the best icing ever on the already excellent cake they had served up during that playoff run.

I wasn't expecting them to win it all, so when they didn't, it hurt like hell but it was bearable.
I expected the Phillies to win it all, watching them choke it away to a lesser team was disgusting and still disgusts me to think about.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 13, 2011, 11:58:59 AM
you care more about the circumstances of the individual who farged up than what the entire team potentially lost?....or are you saying that if ben francisco had struck out your answer would be different

Yes.  The Phillies were the favorites in the NLCS and would have been in the World Series had they gotten there.  Their "best" player is at the dish with an opportunity to send it to game 7, with all the momentum on their side.  And he farging pops a squat and stares at strike 3.

The Flyers had an incredible run last year, and I was really pissed about the way it ended.  However, Leights was a microcosm of the team as a whole - overachieving but mediocre.  I considered them winning the East to be a massive bonus, and was half-expecting for the other shoe to drop.

And like I said - I don't think anyone's beating the Pats this year, and while losing at home in the wild card round sucks balls... I don't really care what the Eagles do at this point if they're not winning a Super Bowl.  And they weren't good enough on defense to win one this year.

So, the answer is the Phillies, ESPECIALLY because Howard was the choker.

ice grillin you

the phillies had no momentum...they had just given up the go ahead run choke was like 3 for his last 80 in the playoffs with 50 strikeouts and he was facing one of the best closers in the majors with two outs ...you really didnt believe he was gonna get a hit there did you?

and who the farg the cares what a team was favored to do once you get to game six of the finals

mybe im weird but i just cant fathom the notion that a team losing in the conf finals would hurt more than a team in game six OT of the league finals simply because they were favored to get there or because a certain player was the culprit...in fact it makes me really angry that anyone would think that

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 13, 2011, 12:35:54 PM
the phillies had no momentum...they had just given up the go ahead run choke was like 3 for his last 80 in the playoffs with 50 strikeouts and he was facing one of the best closers in the majors with two outs ...you really didnt believe he was gonna get a hit there did you?

and who the farg the cares what a team was favored to do once you get to game six of the finals

mybe im weird but i just cant fathom the notion that a team losing in the conf finals would hurt more than a team in game six OT of the league finals simply because they were favored to get there or because a certain player was the culprit...in fact it makes me really angry that anyone would think that

i can fathom it

its called baseball being much more important and better than hockey
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

charlie

People (me included) just don't care much about hockey.

ice grillin you

right thats what i suspected...theres nothing wrong with that

the poll only works if you are a four for four guy or in this case a three for three guy because otherwise you are basically going to choose the team you care most about

MDS

i am four for four its just my fourth is temple hoops

and my fifth is tv
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Sgt PSN

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 13, 2011, 01:04:26 PM
right thats what i suspected...theres nothing wrong with that

the poll only works if you are a four for four guy or in this case a three for three guy because otherwise you are basically going to choose the team you care most about

It's no secret that I don't like hockey and I still listed the Flyers loss above the Eagles.  The Eagles are also my #1 Philly team and they were 3rd on my list for this poll. 

Phillies
Flyers
Eagles

Anything else is wrong.

ice grillin you

if you liked the flyers trust me theyd be number one

Sgt PSN

I like the Flyers, I just don't like hockey.

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on January 13, 2011, 02:18:18 PM
if you liked the flyers trust me theyd be number one

how can someone named michael leighton giving up a terrible goal on OT be more crushing that an 125 million dollar fat strike prone first baseman who hadnt hit a home run in 16 years let alone get a hit strike out with the tying running in scoring position in game 6 of the nlcs?

you knew both were inevitable. frankly vick's interception was the most surprising ... i actually kind of thought he wasnt going to mcnabb it up.