Started by MDS, March 29, 2018, 04:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

they told him to watch jake arrieta and do the opposite
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

Arrieta never wanted to set foot in Philly.  The only reason he's there is because his pimp daddy got a contract for him that no one else would offer. 

He's Nnamdi Asomugha.

ice grillin you

and he came from a team that has more money than god

the stupid thing about that deal is that arrieta had been steadily getting worse for the last three years....what the farg would make them think he was going to start getting better again at age 32

at least its only three years and its not my money

MDS

its june 28 and the phillies are 2.5 out of the division and 1 game out of the playoffs

when their string of games against playoff caliber teams started, they were 8 games over .500. they are now 6 games over .500.

for the life of me, i have zero idea why there is so much negativity from the fanbase toward them. theyve been miserably bad and essentially irrelevant for 5 years.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

QB Eagles

Probably some combination of the exciting Eagle and Sixers seasons, the lack of star power, Rhys Hoskins playing like a normal human being, plus the growing realization that no star is coming to this team in the offseason.

Statistically Arietta is virtually the same guy he was last year. Maybe the solid beginning to his season tricked people into thinking he was the guy from 2015?

MDS

Quote from: QB Eagles on June 28, 2018, 09:26:13 AM
Probably some combination of the exciting Eagle and Sixers seasons, the lack of star power, Rhys Hoskins playing like a normal human being, plus the growing realization that no star is coming to this team in the offseason.

the season is 3 months old. hoskins was really bad for 1 month and really good for 2. but hes not an mvp candidate so farg him? i dont get that.

also buster and a few other guys have the phils as the favs for machado. i dont understand where the "they have no shot at him" thing is coming from. just typical philadelphia victimhood.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

another problem is baseball has become almost unwatchable...the phillies have what should be an exciting team if nothing else because of the youth but even a team like that is boring as shtein with the way the game is today

Rome

I'm not watching as much because I don't have 4 hours a night to waste on watching this team.  That's just me personally.  I watch them if Nola is pitching.  Otherwise I just watch the "highlights."

That's pretty much what I do with every team unless it's the Birds playing.  I can do three hours a week, but the other teams just take up too much of my time. 

ice grillin you

i watch them all the time....im just saying thats a part of the reason theres no buzz

also if rhys hoskins is your "star" player then you better get some more stars...not that he isnt good but hes so zzzzzzzzz

Rome

And by the way... it's not victimhood.  It's just the reality of having superior destinations available to the finite number of elite players that will be on the market. 

New York, Los Angeles, Chicago... all better than Philly.   I know Middleton has his cancer stick billions to offer, but the fact is the Phillies (and Philly itself) aren't as attractive as other places.   Acknowledging that is not being negative... just realistic. 

MDS

you dont watch them but youve got some hot takes on them. good to know.

quick heads up: LA doesnt have a spot for machado and neither does chicago. the yankees are certainly conceivable but it seems less realistic given how well didi is doing there, how good torres is going to be and how much $ they are giving stanton and will have to give judge, sanchez and severino.

the phils main competition for machado, money wise, are like the white sox and cardinals. ive been saying this for years but theyre not going to be outbid for manny. if he wants to go ny he will go, but the phils have been prepping for this for 3-4 years. their offer is going to be stupid.

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 28, 2018, 10:57:46 AM
another problem is baseball has become almost unwatchable...the phillies have what should be an exciting team if nothing else because of the youth but even a team like that is boring as shtein with the way the game is today

this is somewhat valid though it has not resulted in a lack of buzz or interest in the yankees, dodgers, astros, etc. who all play a similar style. big difference, of course, is they have superstars where as they phillies do not.

im not necessarily referring to a lack of buzz though. given how putrid they were, theyre not going to get everyone back overnight. its more that there is an enormous amount of visceral anger at kapler, klentak, the pen, odubel, etc. yea, over the course of 162 games there are going to be bad moments and such. but overall theyve been doing better than any realistic projection and are playing meaningful games into july. its been 6 years since thats been the case. thats what i dont get.

phattymatty

baseball is boring as farg the end.

smeags

Quote from: phattymatty on June 28, 2018, 12:20:33 PM
baseball is boring as farg the end.

yeah, but, but WARP !!
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Rome

It's VORP, Mr. Spock. 

Sheesh.

smeags

QuoteWARP stands for Wins Above Replacement Player. The term and concept are borrowed from sabermetrics and, specifically, Baseball Prospectus.

go drink your ensure, romey.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it