2011 Philadelphia Phillies Season Thread (choking awful pos team, DIAF)

Started by SunMo, March 30, 2011, 07:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

It's about that time.

The most successful era in Philadelphia Phillies history starts another chapter on Friday, April 1st.  Expectations are extraordinarily high this season as possibly the best pitching staff in history takes the mound day after day.

Despite numerous questions about the lineup and middle relief, this Phillies team is poised to once again win the NL East and go deep into the playoffs.

Can Jimmy Rollins regain any part of his form that led to an MVP season in 2007?  Can Ben Fransico and eventually Domonic Brown produce close to the same level as Jayson Werth the past two years?  Will Chase Utley ever get back on a HGH cycle so his knee can heal?  These are all questions that will be answered throughout the season.

Key Additions:

• Boom.  Clif Lee.
  • Luis Castillo
  • Additional Ruben Amaro smugness

Key Depatures:

• Jayson Werth
  • Chad Durbin
  • Luis Castillo
  • Brad Lidge's Rotator Cuff

Last year Oswalt-less for half the year, Kyle Kendrick starting games instead of Cliff Lee, and with a mediocre to below-average offense, they won 97 games.  This year, I think they at least match that, if not exceed it.

My prediction:  101-61, 1st NL East, back to the World Series

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

BigEd76

SunMo

Stutes sent down.  Herndon and Baez are middle relief...blech

Delwyn Young sent down, Martinez and Orr take the last two bench sports.  Orr, Martinez, Gload, Mayberry, Schnieder

that is one awful bench

Rome

ice grillin you

my big predictions of the year

roy oswalts record will not be over .500
they wont win the division
the nationals will finish within 10 games of them
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Key addition - Luis Castillo?

And according to Orodenker all benches suck so we shouldn't worry

My Predictions:

100-62
1st NL East
World Series

Rollins has a great year
Choke hits 42
Francisco has a solid year

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 30, 2011, 07:35:57 PM

Oh yeah...and who wins the division?

Bet me. NOW!

Rome

rjs246

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on March 30, 2011, 07:36:10 PM
Key addition - Luis Castillo?

Didn't read the rest of the post, huh?

I predict that Rollins will be a .275 hitter with a .325 on base % but everyone will worship his dong none the less.
I predict that Cole Hamels will find ways to lose games while looking like the best pitcher on the rotation.
I predict that Joe Blanton will sweat. A lot.
I predict that Chooch will be a fan favorite despite hitting .250.
I predict that they will easily win the division and everyone will spend stupid amounts of time and energy trying to make fun of Havas for his predictions.
I predict that Havas will point to various ambiguous statements that he made to indicate that he was in fact right all along no matter what the actual outcome.

I predict that I will occasionally stop by to irritate the haters and true believers alike.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

I predict puns.

Lots and lots of puns.

And I also predict 102-60 for the final record.  And Hunter Pence will be a Phillie.

BOOK.  IT.

SD

I predict the opposite of all of these

SunMo

say what you want about Luis Castillo, but he's a far better option than either Pete Orr or Michael Martinez

SD

I would have been fine with Castillo and thought he played himself onto the roster with his patience at the plate and the few hits he got. Stark was on with Missannelli earlier saying Castillo not making the roster is good news on the Utley front in that Castillo would be worthless once Utley comes back since he can only play 2nd base. He also made some comments about Castillo lackluster play in the field and the fact that he showed up late.

MDS

yea, its really not challenging

there are going to have to win 2-1 and 3-2 games for the foreseeable future and in that case you want valdez at 2b. his defensive advantage over slick lou >>> lou's offensive advantage of wilson! wilson!
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on March 30, 2011, 07:37:20 PM

Oh yeah...and who wins the division?

Bet me. NOW!

braves...gimme the braves + half the amount of games you think the phils will win the division by...what would that be like 7?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous