Previous topic - Next topic

Do you collect anything?

Yes
16 (69.6%)
No
7 (30.4%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Diomedes

I know vigy is mad for hip-hop and Philly sports merchandise.  shore is into Hot Wheels cars.  SD probably collects Star Wars crap.

I don't collect anything.  Never got into the mentality of it.  What about you?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PoopyfaceMcGee

rjs246

I collected baseball and football carsd when I was a kid.

Now I don't collect shtein.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Diomedes

It's true that I collected comics as a kid.  Sold 'em all to my brother in high school for money to buy cigarettes and drugs. 

that is incredibly accurate
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Geowhizzer

I collect collections.

And, Dio, don't you collect music?

Diomedes

Well, I don't think so.  I do have a lot of music, but not for collecting it per se.  It's for listening.  It's all digital, not vinyl or cds.  I don't seek out rare things, etc.  I don't display it, I don't know how much any of it is worth (if indeed it has any value at all). 

So I'd say no.  I don't collect music.

General_Failure

Anything I have that could be considered a collection gets used, so no. Especially the trains around Christmas.

But I clicked yes anyway.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Geowhizzer

I'm at a crossroads with my sports card collection (mostly baseball).  I've been collecting for 30 years, and I have probably over 25,000 of them (1920s-2007).

The thing is, I store them in our 3rd bedroom (of a 3-bedroom house).  That bedroom is going to be claimed very soon by our soon-to-be girl.

Our house has very little in terms of storage, especially for a large collection.  So my choices are:

1.  Create some storage space (i.e. new shelving in our laundry room).
2.  Somehow get some storage space in the house (can't afford to add on - we did that to add a family room a few years ago).
3.  Sell the collection.

Eh, I keep bouncing from option to option.  :-\

Diomedes

Those train collector people get CRAZY over it.  I mean, CRAZY.  The whole basement turned into a scaled replica of a train depot.  Thousands and tens of thousands of dollars sunk into that hobby.

Is collecting a hobby, or is there a difference between the two?

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Diomedes on January 24, 2007, 09:36:53 PM
Those train collector people get CRAZY over it.  I mean, CRAZY.  The whole basement turned into a scaled replica of a train depot.  Thousands and tens of thousands of dollars sunk into that hobby.

If there is any, it's probably something like this:

- A collection is something you spend a fair amount money on.
- A hobby  is something you spend a fair amount of time on.

And, using this definition, something could easily be both.

Diomedes

I accept that.  Good thinking.

rjs246

So I collect booze as my hobby.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Geowhizzer

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Diomedes on January 24, 2007, 08:55:55 PM
SD probably collects Star Wars crap.

I wouldn't say I'm a collector but I do have toys from my childhood that I keep around because they're worth something.

I used to collect Baseball, Basketball, Hockey, and Football cards, they're locked away in my closet somewhere and not nearly worth what they were when I bought them. I also collect DVDs, have roughly 300-400. Have about 50 jerseys from the 4 major Philly sports teams, I just can't throw them out.

General_Failure

Quote from: Diomedes on January 24, 2007, 09:36:53 PM

There's two kinds of those guys. Collectors and operators. Collectors, naturally, want shtein in the original box, never run it, and keep it carefully packed away in a wine rack. Operators will buy any rusted up piece of shtein, all scratched to hell, and run it.

To get really into it, and I know you're still reading, there's two kinds of operators. The tinplate guys and the scale guys. Scale guys go in for realistic shtein. Tinplate guys will run any stamped metal toys with the newer highly detailed stuff. Or just the older stuff. Probably with Plasticville buildings all over the place.

So, yeah. Tens of thousands of dollars sunk into a hobby. But when they die, the wife/kids can auction it off and have a nice chunk of change to buy hats with.

The man. The myth. The legend.