Mass - Is Anyone Else Going Today?

Started by Rome, July 31, 2005, 09:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

Ugh.

My daughter starts school next week so that means I have to start going to Mass again.   :P

It's not that I have a particular problem with going to church, mind you.  It's just that I'd rather be doing pretty much anything else on a Sunday morning than getting showered, shaved, dressed-up and then sitting through an hour of blah-blah-blah at the local soul-saving convention.

Anyway, just thought I'd ask if anyone else is in the same boat as me, and if so, do you have any plans afterward, because after an hour of yapping from a priest, a few beers and some tacos sounds good to me.

:evil

MURP

whats the connection of your daughter going to school and you going to church if I may ask?

Sgt PSN

More importantly, why is your daughter starting school in the first week of August?  What kind of Nazi school are you sending her to? 

Geowhizzer

Quote from: SSgt PSN on July 31, 2005, 10:04:59 AM
More importantly, why is your daughter starting school in the first week of August?  What kind of Nazi school are you sending her to? 

Welcome to school in Florida.  In my district, teachers report to work tomorrow, students go back next Monday (Aug. 8 ).

Sarge, if you check your local school districts in NC, they're probably going back within the next 2-3 weeks.  They start earlier in the South than we did up north.

The plus is, we're done by Memorial Day.

Zanshin

I'm pretty sure Dio is going; you'll probably bump into him....

Reidme

Quote from: MURP on July 31, 2005, 09:39:43 AM
whats the connection of your daughter going to school and you going to church if I may ask?

Private schools run by, or affiliated with a relious institution (ie Catholic School), strongly encourage (similar to "voluntary mini camp") the family of the student to attend weekly services. Along with physical sighting in smaller congregations, there is usually an envelope for collection given to the student for a weekly offering  :deion. That is how they know if you attend. Sometimes important info for the student and family is also announced at the mass. It also helps in case little Johnny has any problems at school, (like spitballs, smoking, fighting, cursing, etc) if the Priest sees you at mass every week. When a school is at capacity, stuff like your showing up every week also goes a a long way towards keeping your kid off the shtein list and in the school.
The NFL old standard.

Zanshin

General_Failure

Parents that don't want their kids getting shot in public school?

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

I avoid churches, don't like them.  Furthermore, I'm not wanted there.  If only the people who attend them regularly could demonstrate the same consideration.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

NGM

Were you touched as a child by a man in a silly hat Dio?
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

Yeti

No.  I am not going.

I think if I walked into a church I would burst into flames.
"It's only a matter of time before we get to the future."

Hbionic

Diomedes

Quote from: NGM on July 31, 2005, 02:47:58 PM
Were you touched as a child by a man in a silly hat Dio?

Nope.  But my mother and her sister were.  We aren't sure about the brother (my uncle).  Maybe him, too.  He don't talk about things.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

NGM

I recommend drinking until you can't feel feelings anymore.
Fletch:  Can I borrow your towel for a sec? My car just hit a water buffalo.

Zanshin

Quote from: General_Failure on July 31, 2005, 01:54:05 PM
Parents that don't want their kids getting shot in public school?

Or just move someplace where that's less likely.  Aside from that, I'm not sure that catholic school kids are all that bulletproof.

Diomedes

Quote from: NGM on July 31, 2005, 02:58:14 PM
I recommend drinking until you can't feel feelings anymore.

That's great so long as you don't have to work the next day.  If you do, not so much.