2008 Phillies Spring Training Thread

Started by Wingspan, February 14, 2008, 12:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

yeah, lets piss off our pitcher...yay management!
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Wingspan

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Sgt PSN

QuoteUntil Davey can return to uniform, Jerry Martin will coach first base, the organization said.

Martin, who played in the majors from 1979-84, is the outfield coordinator for the Phillies player development staff. Prior to this season, he was also the base running coordinator, a position he held since 2004.

Base running coordinator?  WTF is that? 

PoopyfaceMcGee

He makes sure they run counter-clockwise.  It's kind of tough with nimrods like Burrell on the team.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

PhillyPhreak54

So can we add Kendrick to the list of people IGY hates for no reason, along with Gocong?

Munson

Ahaha I was thinking the same thing. He seems to hate a lot of guys for what seems like no real reason.

Gocong
Downie
Kendrick

Carter and Briere could be on there, but I understand the not liking someone if they're being a bit of a Hoyda sometimes. But still...the guys put up good numbers.

perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SunMo

Munson

Yes, we know that IGY's balls dangle ever so slightly on your chin.

SunMo

no, moron, the point is that anybody with a brain realizes that he sucks....ohhhh now i get why you don't understand

nevermind

Munson

SD_Eagle5

I'm really missing Rowand right about now

Link

QuoteTuesday, Mar 4, 2008 1:33 pm EST

BREAKING: Geoff Jenkins 'crushed' over Brett Favre's retirement
By 'Duk
How much does Geoff Jenkins look like Brett Favre?

Enough that he agreed to a mock press conference this afternoon announcing his reaction to the retirement of the Packers' great and his well-known doppelganger.

"I'm crushed," Jenkins told me and a few Phillies beat writers here in Orlando before playing the Braves. "What can you say? The man was tremendous.

"Seeing how good the (Packers') running game was getting and the defense, too, he could have come back, but who knows?"

Twenty minutes earlier, Jenkins had been signing autographs for fans when he was asked the question he's heard the most in his life. 

"Has anyone ever told you look like Brett Favre?" inquired one fan.

"A few times," the Phillies outfielder said before grinning at a few reporters standing nearby. "A few times."

The great thing is that Jenkins has always taken the similarities in stride.  Rarely does he look like he'd have preferred looking like an anonymous butcher from Brookfield or an accountant from Ashwaubenon.

It's certainly understandable, though, why the retirement of Favre hits close to home. Since Jenkins arrived in Milwaukee in 1998, he's cleaned up on his resemblance to the most popular man in Wisconsin. A few times he even jokingly signed Favre's signature for confused fans. 

"I've had lunch, dinner, different stuff bought for me and the check'll be paid for," Jenkins said. "Right from the go, they'd just drop a note on the table, because they didn't want to bother ('Brett'). It said, 'Great games last year' but I had just gotten there."

There's a certain sect of people in Wisconsin who believe that Favre and Jenkins are long-lost twins. Some even think they're the same person. (Though that notion is disproved by the fact that Favre would probably be better at hitting left-handed pitching.)

To be clear, Jenkins isn't thinking of also retiring, though he didn't directly answer a question if he feels pain if an injury happens to Brett Favre or vice versa.

"Like if it's a cold day and his ankle is bothering him, you mean? he asked.

At that point, Shane Victorino interrupted the press conference with a well-tossed ball into Jenkins' unprotected crotch, thereby ending the press conference and Favre's hopes of having any more nephews.

But if Favre doubles over in pain later at Lambeau Field, at least we'll know why.