2008 Phillies Spring Training Thread

Started by Wingspan, February 14, 2008, 12:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

He has three years of arbitration left.  That means for your statement about him reaching $20M before he hits free agency, he has to get from $10M to $20M in 2009, 2010, or 2011 and that's only assuming he stays as productive as he's been and the arbitration panels file in his favor each time.

Players rarely win each time because they seldom maintain the sort of statistical prowess year after year. 

Sooner or later they tail off and then they lose.

I think it's moot anyway because I think the Phillies will reach a long term deal with him before 2011, but if they don't, then they pay him four straight 1-year deals and then he goes bye-bye. 

One last thing: does anyone here really believe a guy who's built like Howard with the sort of defensive deficiencies he has will still be in the National League playing first base every day at that point?

Rome

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/multimedia/15837617.html

Amaro is one of the smuggest little douchebags I've ever heard in my life.  I love how the reporters keep pressing his arrogant ass, though.  You can hear him getting progressively more pissed off as it goes along.

:-D

PoopyfaceMcGee

By that math, Howard will be outearning ExxonMobil in the year 2093.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Rome on February 21, 2008, 04:20:22 PM

Amaro is one of the smuggest little douchebags I've ever heard in my life.  I love how the reporters keep pressing his arrogant ass, though.  You can hear him getting progressively more pissed off as it goes along.

Which is why he's #1 on my most hated Philadelphia sports person list. Smug little prick.

PhillyPhreak54

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/21/sports/baseball/21phillies.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Good NY Times piece on JRoll...

QuoteRollins also chafed more subdued veterans like Scott Rolen with his incessant chirping. At one point, Rolen sat him down and said, "You just have to shut up."

PoopyfaceMcGee

Rolen was probably Mr. Popularity in the clubhouse himself.

Rome

Subdued is the wrong adjective there.  Sullen is more like it.

On the bright side, Rolen's in the Canadian equivalent of baseball heaven now, which is nice.

ice grillin you

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on February 21, 2008, 07:54:44 PM
Quote from: Rome on February 21, 2008, 04:20:22 PM

Which is why he's #1 on my most hated Philadelphia sports person list. Smug little prick.

amaro is pat croce compared to banner
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

Banner is Willy Wonka compared to my johnson.

PhillyGirl

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

ice grillin you

not sure what the front office had to do with that...its more like yay philly sports

Geowhizzer

PhillyGirl

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 23, 2008, 05:16:59 PM
not sure what the front office had to do with that...its more like yay philly sports

The FO brought in, again, damaged goods.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

ice grillin you

if you hated the move from the start because he had a bad knee fine...and maybe you did....im saying blaming the front office cause his spike got caught in the dirt is hateradeing

Rome

We should definitely be panicking seeing as it's February 23rd and all.