Week Four - 2016

Started by PhillyPhreak54, September 29, 2016, 05:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

Quote from: QB Eagles on October 02, 2016, 11:15:53 AM... Lions ownership tends to hold onto guys for about 3 years too long and firing midseason isn't their style.

To their credit, I would argue.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

QB Eagles

I agree with the second part. I don't really see what firing a guy midseason does for you, unless you are intending to make one of your assistants your new HC. It usually comes across as spiteful or as a weak attempt to placate the fans.

I think it takes 4-5 years minimum to tell the difference between a good coach and an average coach. Too many things other than HC ability go into the end result on the field. Like, I think the juries are potentially still out on Mike McCarthy and Mike Tomlin, and they are Super Bowl winners who have been coaching for a decade. They've also had the advantages of amazing organizations around them, and Hall of Fame quarterbacks at their disposal.

Long term coaching ability has more to do with ability to learn and adjust than the immediate impact in those first few seasons (either good or bad). On the other hand, I think with some bad coaches, it's evident early on that they are lousy at coaching. If you notice that after one season, I think it's a good idea to let him go. I think Pagano and Caldwell have clearly reached that point. I think Jim Schwartz had reached that point a couple years before the Lions fired him. And Rod Marinelli. I don't think the right lesson to take from the Steelers is "hold onto your coach for 20 years no matter what". That's how you end up with Jeff Fisher turning in an 5-11 performance every year. You try to be the Steelers, and you end up being the Titans.

PhillyPhreak54

Good stuff - so many teams and coaches try to copy others. Like you said the Steelers of the Belichick branches trying to do what Bill does. Doesn't work for them.

Oh look at the Jags choking

How do you let him get loose like that?! Jalen Ramsey's shtein talking to play making ratio is way off kilter since his NFL arrival

PhillyPhreak54

Arrelious Benn's football IQ is nil

Way to run out of bounds dope

PhillyPhreak54

Jags win despite trying to lose

QB Eagles

Gus Bradley is also ripe for firing by the way.

Pagano sucking doesn't mean that Grigson doesn't also suck. What a terrible roster the Colts have.

Diomedes

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but wasn't Grigson hailed as a steal for them, and a loss for the Eagles; a real football guy?

Now he's awful?  How quickly fortunes turn in the NFL...
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

Correct

He was viewed as such and then once he began driving the car he spun it out and hit a tree head on.

QB Eagles

By some...

I think that fortune turned sometime during the phone call to trade a first round draft pick for Trent Richardson.

ice grillin you

man is cleveland bad and i can never hear pierre garcons name without thinking of pulp fiction
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

The Panthers...maybe wish they'd not kicked Norman to the curb eh?

And lol at Hoodie smashing the tablet on the sideline

ice grillin you

ice grillin you

QB Eagles

Mariota throwing some really questionable passes today.

QB Eagles

Julio with 170 yards already.