Computer Geeks Unite! And farging help me!

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Diomedes on August 13, 2017, 10:01:25 AM
I'm on Chrome OS Version 60.0.3112.80 (Official Build) (64-bit)

My vertical scroll bar has recently gone into hiding.  I have to fish around for it to appear so I can scroll.  I don't like that.  How do I make it display permanently again?

It's working as intended. Scroll using 2 fingers on your track/touch pad and quit being such a relic. Or continue to just hover your pointer on the far right of the screen and wait the extra second for the scroll bar to appear.

Diomedes

Quote from: Sgt PSN on August 13, 2017, 04:39:55 PM
It's working as intended. Scroll using 2 fingers on your track/touch pad and ...

mind blown

thanks man, you saved my life
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

You can also use 2 fingers to swipe left/right to go back and forth on web pages.

Can probably also pinch to zoom, open to zoom out like on a phone.

Sgt PSN

Any of you Android users familiar with or use bluestacks for Mac and PC?  I've read plenty of positive reviews but wouldn't mind hearing direct from someone with 1st hand experience with it.  Seems like a pretty cool concept.

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

Sgt PSN

How was it for display purposes?  Since apps are designed mostly for 4"-6" phone screens, with some only being available in portrait mode, how did they end up looking on a 15" or 21" monitor?  Did they actually fill the screen? 

I remember with my 1st Gen iPad, a lot of devs hadn't built iPad friendly apps yet that were capable of filling the larger screen of the iPad and if you installed the phone version of the app, you either ended up with a 3" app in the middle of a 9.7" screen, or if it did happen to stretch out to fill the screen, the graphics, text, and artwork in the app often became very pixelated. 

General_Failure

Most phones and tablets have a decent screen resolution, so picture quality isn't an issue. I used it on a 36" tv with no problems there. It has a button to switch between portrait and landscape modes, so if whatever app you're using has a landscape option it'll fill the screen. If not, it'll just look like this.

Except for the part where Pokemon Go doesn't work on it anymore. Otherwise, just like that.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Sgt PSN

That ain't bad.  I don't see myself wanting to run any apps that are locked in portrait, so I don't really have to worry about that, but that image looks fine.  Doesn't appear stretched or like the graphics are taking a hit due to a larger display. 

And I'm def not worried about pokemon go.  The primary reason I want to check this out though is that I just stumbled across a new email app for my phone from Samsung called Focus.  It's an all in one app that reminds me of Outlook for the desktop....has email, calendar, contacts, memos, tasks, etc, so I don't have to constantly switch from 1 app to another.  It's not available for my tablet so I sideloaded the .apk and it's been working just fine and I like it even more on the larger display.  So now I want to try it on my Mac.  Apple's native mail, calendar, and contacts apps annoy me and I recently upgraded my Office suite to 365 so I could get Outlook, but Outlook for Mac currently sucks balls and supports nothing except mail.  Can't sync my calendar or contacts with google.  Can't even import my contacts from google.  Farging lame.  So this might be a nice temp solution until Microsoft fixes their shtein. 

SD

Rome

SD

Diomedes

SD paid money for a cheap female to answer his questions.  :sly
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

phattymatty

i have an irrational hatred of alexa.

i'm not a tin foil hat person (yet) but i'm definitely more paranoid than your average person and i don't understand why anyone would put an always-on recording device in your personal living space. i mean i know it's for the convenience of things but i just hate it.

SD

Easy just to shout out Alexa play Wu Tang and Wu Tang comes on. I was busy with work last night but I had a ton of stuff I had to do in between, like Sunny's draft at 730. So Alexa reminded me at 715 that I have a draft, which I completely dominated. When I woke up this morning and was getting ready I got a weather and traffic report just by asking. I thought it was some $200 device but when I found out it was only $40 I was in. But I understand the hatred, because I hated it too before I started using it.

QB Eagles

Quote from: phattymatty on August 30, 2017, 09:25:34 AM
i'm not a tin foil hat person (yet) but i'm definitely more paranoid than your average person and i don't understand why anyone would put an always-on recording device in your personal living space. i mean i know it's for the convenience of things but i just hate it.

I'm with you on that, and from what I can tell, it looks like 95% of what people ask Alexa to do is play music. I don't find playing music all that difficult without an Echo.

Beyond that, I'm just not really sold on voice recognition as being a great user interface yet. I don't use Siri or any of that shtein either. But I'm a guy who uses the Linux command line at work all day, so my opinions on computers are definitely skewed in the "old man yells at cloud" direction by this point.