Video game thread

Started by mussa, March 15, 2005, 05:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagles_Legendz

I played the Witcher 3 a few months ago.  It was the first game I've really enjoyed in a long time.

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

any rogelike fans here?

Have been playing Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup lately.  Brutal.  i can't stop.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

Wow, that's the most Rogue-like roguelike I've seen since the 90s.

I've got some friends who live those games, can't really get into them myself. I've been trying out some games I own that my PC just can't handle on Nvidia's new streaming thing. It's got a free tier you can play for an hour at a time that'll probably go away next year. It's pretty nice, fast enough that the games are actually playable.

Diomedes

I read about that service and others like it.  Seems like the future to me.  Nevermind going to the store to purchase a disc, nevermind even downloading a game...just pay the fee and play.

This Dungeon Crawl is unforgiving.  I can't get past level 12 or so...and that's not even halfway.  But I can't stop trying either.  Old fashioned fun, hours melting away.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Diomedes

people got a lot of time on their hands, why not build the earth to scale in minecraft?

https://www.pcgamesn.com/minecraft/build-the-earth

phattymatty

i've been sucked into Division 2 the last week.  it's an apocalyptic game set in DC where a virus wiped everything out.  fargy creepy how realistic is.

the entire city is an exact replica down to the inside of buildings.  was farging around in the portrait gallery and even the farging benches inside in the courtyard are perfect. 

insane game.  i'm gonna be prepared in a few months when it all comes true.

Geowhizzer

Diomedes

Anyone play Front Office Football?  or any other football sim game, like Strat-O-Matic?

Diomedes

I occasionally click on a League of Legends highlight thread or gif...I don't know why i do this...I never once have understood wtf I'm looking at, or any of the comments about it. 

General_Failure

I know the rough basics of it, I have some friends that are into it. It's toxic as farg and completely hostile to new people.

Diomedes

Is there some skill to it?  All I know is that something incredible is supposedly going on but all I see is little figures spinning and some pretty colors flying about... Like every time I look at one.   I have zero interest in playing but what interests me it's that usually when I peek into a game world I don't know to see a highlight I can usually did something about what makes it s highlight... Not the case with league

General_Failure

If you've played RTS games like Starcraft, you've got an idea of what skills you need.  It's 5v5, you control one hero, you have to kill the CPU mobs to get money to buy equipment so you can kill stuff more gooder. You get more money for killing players, so if someone starts losing their matchup a lot it snowballs pretty quick. You have to know what equipment you're buying because that lets you build to fancier equipment, what your opponents are building towards, and actually communicate and cooperate with your team. The last part is where the game falls apart.

Diomedes

Ah, much obliged.  I missed the 5v5 part.  I thought everything I was seeing was a player.  I gather it's an expensive game to be invested in.  And it's not news that it's full of toxic chat.  I stopped playing games that require rapid button pressing/timing/18 Dex...will never play this one.

Speaking of games, and off topic, but who wants a D&D thread, I fell into a set of circa '83 books, including Player, DM, and Expert rules, and a few of the original modules.  I'm walking my 10 yeard old through the first "choose your own" thing, and he'll soon be rolling his first character.  My evangelical Catholic mother-in-law is going to be very disappoint.

Geowhizzer

I used to love D&D back in the day ('83 would have been in my wheelhouse for it).  I guess the TV show Stranger Things (my daughter loves this) has brought it back into vogue.