Around the NFL - 2018

Started by General_Failure, February 06, 2018, 07:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

My first love sports wise was the Phils.  I won't deny that.  But the Eagles winning the Super Bowl dwarfs every other sports event I've experienced combined.  It was better than I ever dreamed it would be, and believe me, I have a hell of an imagination. 

Being in Philly when it happened?  I can die happy now. 

PhillyPhreak54

As much as I love the Phillies and baseball the SB win is by far the best for me.

Rome

I had lunch the day after the game at Tony Luke's.  Even the broad who takes hoagie orders was smiling and nice.  That's how much it meant to people in the city. 

Eagles_Legendz

the phillies WS was the first team in any sport that i've rooted for who won anything.  college/pro/etc.  and i was in the stadium for it. 

i'm probably unfairly discounting it because the older i get the less i care about baseball (and hockey), and i remember between 2-3am just playing queen on loop in '08 and what that meant, but the eagles have been the most important sports team in my life since i learned how to talk.  in fifth grade my teacher was a cowboys fan and we used to get in arguments before and after class - that was the year tommy hutton botched the snap against dallas on mnf and i spent the rest of the night hyperventilating breathing into a paper bag w/my parents telling me i wasn't going to be allowed to watch the eagles anymore if that's how i reacted.  getting to experience them win with my brother, and mom, and dad who is in his 70s, and who shed a tear during kelce's speech just meant something more to me and it was a week i won't forget.

ice grillin you

its not a factor if your favorite team is the eagles because thats end of discussion

but if its even close age matters a lot when it comes to to 08 phillies and eagles sb....if your sports watching life (i dont count ages 0-8ish) was only 15 years when the phillies won its not nearly as droughty as if you had been watching sports for 30 years before the 08 phillies

also the longer time passes on and other philly teams win post phillies 08 the less people remember how truly horrifying 83 to 08 was

thats why im pretty sure no championship will ever top 08 phillies for me....thinking about that drought ending still gives me goose bumps to this day...and i say that as the captain of the tampa rain delay anticlimactic win team
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on February 14, 2018, 03:09:47 PM
in fifth grade my teacher was a cowboys fan and we used to get in arguments before and after class - that was the year tommy hutton botched the snap against dallas on mnf

Holy shtein dude, I didn't realize you were this young....or that I've gotten that old.

ice grillin you

QuoteESPN source confirms that Fox will also air the draft along with them/NFLN.

Zanshin

Quote from: Sgt PSN on February 14, 2018, 03:39:03 PM
in fifth grade my teacher was a cowboys fan and we used to get in arguments before and after class - that was the year tommy hutton botched the snap against dallas on mnf

Holy shtein dude, I didn't realize you were this young....or that I I've gotten that old.

lol...I was in 3rd grade for the 1980 World Series and that was a big deal. Still remember going to the parade.

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 14, 2018, 03:48:41 PM
QuoteESPN source confirms that Fox will also air the draft along with them/NFLN.

not that specifics matter but fox is just simulcasting nfln's broadcast, though id imagine 1 or 2 of their personalities will pop up
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: Zanshin on February 14, 2018, 04:03:10 PM

Holy shtein dude, I didn't realize you were this young....or that I I've gotten that old.

lol...I was in 3rd grade for the 1980 World Series and that was a big deal. Still remember going to the parade.

Ya old fart!

I was in the same grade...  :paranoid

Munson

Lol I'm in the same boat as Legendz...I was in 4th grade I think for the Hutton play.

The Phillies were my first chip for any professional team I've cheered for, and I was in the city the night it happened. That experience is forever with me. Being around so many happy people in Philly that night was just amazing.

But the Eagles were my first love. My family is nuts for the Eagles, as you have all seen. I've been dressing up in Eagles gear and going to my Uncles house since before he had that addition built on to his house and we were doing it as mostly family gathering in his rec room. We were painting our faces kelly green and silver every Sunday. I cried when they won. I didn't when the Phillies did. Though I do think part of why I didn't cry for the Phils was just legitimate shock and not knowing how to react because i had never seen a championship before in this town.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Eagles_Legendz

Holy shtein dude, I didn't realize you were this young....or that I've gotten that old.

born in 86, I just started posting places when I was 15 because I'm weird

hbionic

Ok, IGY, I'm stuck here. Since our teams are special and personal to us, here's this.

I went to game 7 of the World Series hoping to riot with the city...only to be punched in the balls. There's a deep passion for the boys in blue and I know I would have gone ape shtein if they Dodgers would have won. I was 12 when the Dodgers won the world series, and remember where I was watching Gibby's homer.

But, this Eagles win has been something special. I'm not from Philly but its always come down to this:

If I the Dodgers never one won another championship during my lifetime, I could still rest easy. But I would have been turning in my grave if I never witnessed the Birds win one. And I love the Dodgers. It's been 30 years now since the Dodgers have won, and I've been an Eagles fan since highschool only.

Gun to the head, I guess this Eagles win was more special than any Dodgers win could have been.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

ice grillin you

in general no one can tell anyone else how they feel....to each his/her own....because of the multitude of factors that go into it sports fandom might be the most subjective thing ever

as far as specific to you i am at a loss for words because i dont and never will understand how anyone can root for a team and not their city...dodgers eagles doesnt even compute in my farged up cerebellum

Zanshin

Quote from: ice grillin you on February 16, 2018, 02:23:02 PM
in general no one can tell anyone else how they feel....to each his/her own....because of the multitude of factors that go into it sports fandom might be the most subjective thing ever

as far as specific to you i am at a loss for words because i dont and never will understand how anyone can root for a team and not their city...dodgers eagles doesnt even compute in my farged up cerebellum

Well, look at Die-Hard. He's like the defacto face of the general Eagles fan...like, omnipresent in articles, blogs, whatever...and a Mets fan.